Respected Contributor

Bird Feeder Question

[ Edited ]

I have never had a bird feeder.  We have started feeding squirrels, and birds have started hanging around, so I am considering getting a bird feeder.  What kind of feeder (and feed) will encourage cardinals and other desirable birds?  Is there a bird feeder that cardinals will use but not blackbirds?  I bought some Pennington wild bird seed and broadcast it on the ground just to see what would happen.  Blackbirds came quickly and devoured it...not all of it...but a lot.  lol  

Thank you for all recommendations.  If you could post a screenshot of the feeder you recommend and where to get it, that would be so very helpful! 

ETA:  Will robins eat from a bird feeder?  If not, how do I attract them to our yard?

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg,

I've found that cardinals and robins like to eat from the ground. I have a new bird feeder now and the squirrels love it!Woman LOL I've only seen 2 birds (not cardinals or robins) use it quickly.

I think any bird feeder needs to have good drainage for when it rains, so it doesn't get moldy seeds etc. 

I'll look forward to any suggestions too!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Re: Bird Feeder Question

[ Edited ]

We have several birdfeeders in our backyard. 

The cardinals hang around the 360 degree feeder that has a roof and ledge at the bottom. The birds sit on the ledge and the birdseed falls down onto the ledge. Every bird, except doves, seem to hang out on that feeder.

There are certain birdseeds that attract cardinals and will say so on the label.

We have finch feeders too. But every bird also hangs on the finch feeder, even woodpeckers.

The starlings come in all the time. They are able to empty the large 360 degree feeder in no time. They chase all the other birds away because there are so many. Have not been able to discourage them. So we buy 50 pound bags of various seed and 5 boxes of peanut suet every couple of weeks. We are regulars at the bird feed store. 

PS Last night I looked out at the bird feeders. Momma Cardinal was the only bird out there (it was dark and all the other birds had gone to bed). She was eating the seeds that had fallen to the ground. And lots of seeds fall to the ground. The bag of food has "attracts Cardinals and Finches" on the package.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla,

That sounds more like ones I used to have. How do you clean the inside? Is that where the seeds are falling onto the ledge from?

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I have one of those bird feeders that close up if something too heavy gets on it.  It's supposed to be squirrel-proof, but they have figured out how to hang from the top of it and eat.  I'm not denying the squirrels, although I'm mad at them right now for digging up my freshly planted hosta.  But, I have another large feeder hanging on the fence for them.  

I ONLY use black oil sunflower seed in my feeders.  This attracts the desirable birds, but the other birds aren't interested.  I tried the finch feeder with the niger seeds and they completely ignored it.  I get cardinals, nuthatches, chickadees, bluebirds (but not blue jays), finches, etc. at that feeder.  The cardinals do feed at the feeder,  Robins never come to the feeder, but they'll follow me around when I'm pulling weeds or digging hoping for some worms.  I had a pair of Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks at my feeder yesterday.  They're migratory and are just passing through, but they show up every year.  Pic below.

I also have a suet feeder for the woodpeckers and another small feeder with mealworms mostly for the bluebirds.  

The problem with squirrels is they will tear up your feeders, so get sturdy metal ones if you're going to share.  

Rose Breasted Grosbeaks.jpg

Respected Contributor

Re: Bird Feeder Question

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess thank you so much! I will look for those seeds. In your photo, was the slinky thing already attached to the pole, or is that something you bought separately? I'm assuming that's to keep the squirrels at bay.

ETA: Where is the cheapest place to get the sunflower seeds?

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@drizzellla,

That sounds more like ones I used to have. How do you clean the inside? Is that where the seeds are falling onto the ledge from?

My husband fills the feeders up almost once a day. The finch feeder is open all around so it has to be cleaned out after a steady rain. He dumps all the seeds on to the ground and spreads it out so the seed doesn't get moldy.

The 360 degree feeder with ledge, get emptied by the starlings so often that it is cleaned out almost on a daily basis.

Yes, the seeds fall onto the ledge. so the birds just sit on the ledge and eat. He also puts meal worms, peanuts and cracked corn for all the other guys that hang out at the bird feeder.

And we are always are on the look out for cats and other critters, fox, hawks etc.They are now saying we have a coyote in the area.  

We make sure that there is always something for all the regulars. That way they keep coming on a regular basis.

Valued Contributor

I have different types of feeders.

A square basket one with mesh that I put woodpecker mix in, which has seeds that have have shells on them. It collects all the mess so it's not on ground.

A ceramic hanging dish that I put no mess (shelled) bird seed in

A hanging tube feeder with niger seed for goldfinch

Also a plastic birdbath saucer on a stand for water for birds

I also throw seeds on cement on ground and the blue jays love the peanuts.

The robins do prefer the ground. I have seen cardinals eat from feeders and ground.

Also, a good quality seed matters. I buy mine at the feed store.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla,

thanks for that good info. It is so much fun to watch the birds come every day. 

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

@Icegoddess thank you so much! I will look for those seeds. In your photo, was the slinky thing already attached to the pole, or is that something you bought separately? I'm assuming that's to keep the squirrels at bay.

ETA: Where is the cheapest place to get the sunflower seeds?

@Ainhisg I mostly buy my seed at Lowes.  My Home Depot doesn't have the big bags.  I just price compare between Ace & Lowes & Tractor Supply.  The last time I got seed, Tractor Supply had the best price and it was significantly a better price.  I also noticed it had a lot less inedible junk in it.  If you have a Wild Birds Unlimited store in your area, that might be a good start.  I used to shop from them before they moved their store and I bought the seed in large buckets with lids that I still use to store my seed in.  

Yes, that's a slinky on the shepherd's hook and it's to keep the squirrels away, although I did see one that figured out a way to get to it the other day. It helps if you have no way for them to jump to it, and there's a stump there.  I used to have two trees in that bed and I hung the feeders from them, but they both died.  The only way for me to have nothing for them to jump from would be to put the feeders in the middle of the yard.  DH would not be happy.