Honored Contributor

Can you grow sunflowers in a planter without them falling over? They are very top heavy.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 I don't have a suggestion for what to plant; however, I would stay away from wisteria for sure. That grows so fast that it would grow into any tiny crevice on your camper. I speak from experience and had ours pulled out. Clematis prefers cool roots and it sounds as though it would get too hot for that plant. An awning would be ideal if it could work on your camper. Provide shade, but you could see out.

Thank Goodness Its Friday

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

@151949 Have you contacted the manufacturer of your camper about an awning? Maybe they have a special person for that and may have a suggestion.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

@pattypeep As I said before - we did call someone who does camper awnings and he said he could not put one due to the shape of the front of the camper and that there is not enough room between the top of the windows and the roof of the camper to mount the hardware. So awnings, shades etc are not going to happen. We have sun blocking shades on the inside and they are about 50% effective.Now we are trying to work on the other 50%. We bought those things you put inside your windsheild in the summer to keep your car cooler, and cut them to fit the windows and they are very effective , however , they look terrible and the windows are then blocked totally so no opening or looking out the windows, and no light coming in.

Esteemed Contributor

The annual black-eyed susan vine (thunbergia) might be worth considering.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

DUH - we have window shades up - they are not enough, even though the windows themself are smoked glass.Thus the desire to shade the area. We had a man who installs awnings on campers come out but because of the design of the camper he was not able to figure out a way to attach an awning. We have been just hanging a sunshade over the windows but it looks terrible just hanging there and we can't open the windows or see out . Can't plant a tree as it actually is the parking space for the campsite there, so it's gravel, and the campground owners would object if we did that.

What is wrong with you replying "DUH" when you asked for advice and never mentioned you already have shades in your OP?  I mean really.

Esteemed Contributor

When 2 different people make the same suggestion and are using it and know it works...and get a DUH, she obviously does not want advice.

Any plant that would grow large enough to cover a window 10' tall in one season would be scary!

Esteemed Contributor

I had a similar situation when I had to take down a huge tree on our back hill. The sun coming thru the windows in the back half of the house increased the temp by 10 degrees even with the a/c on.  I purchased insulated drapery and that made a difference. In some of the smaller windows I added panels and panels of voile sheers. I hung mini blinds in the room with the tv. This solved my problem.

I don't think that greenery will reduce the temp as much as you might need. The problem with the climbing varieties is that they can creep into areas on the surface and cause a problem in the future. I would stick to potted plants and use something additional on the windows inside.

I have also seen those half patio umbrellas that are made to shield a window from the outside. I thought that would have been a good solution if I only had one window. I had two levels and four rooms so my needs were more exaggerated. 

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

DUH - we have window shades up - they are not enough, even though the windows themself are smoked glass.Thus the desire to shade the area. We had a man who installs awnings on campers come out but because of the design of the camper he was not able to figure out a way to attach an awning. We have been just hanging a sunshade over the windows but it looks terrible just hanging there and we can't open the windows or see out . Can't plant a tree as it actually is the parking space for the campsite there, so it's gravel, and the campground owners would object if we did that.

What is wrong with you replying "DUH" when you asked for advice and never mentioned you already have shades in your OP?  I mean really.

Her typical response for anyone who doesn't agree with her or doesn't understand what she means because she didn't give enough info. I try and remember not to reply to any of her posts. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Asking for advice

[ Edited ]

@151949 I understood that you had someone come out "that does camper awnings", but what I suggested was calling the manufacturer of your camper. We have a stunning view of the Seattle skyscape; however, when the sun hits, we pull the blinds. It's only for a few hours that we don't have the view.