Respected Contributor

Re: Anything happening at your winter birdfeeder(s)?

Thanks Justjazzmom. It was greener until the weather got frosty. I haven't grown this before so will do as you suggested. Thank you. Ezzy
Respected Contributor

Bytheway,  I also have some gardenia's that look yellow in the back yard and they are by cement also.  Treating them also.

Respected Contributor

I was worried because my lone hummingbird was missing after some hard frosts.  He did show up yesterday and the sugar water in my new feeder is now going down...

Respected Contributor

The last few days we've had the battles of the squirrels! 3 grey and one red, the fight is on for the feeders! Lots of chasing, general mayhem and disruption! Funny to watch!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

As much as we enjoyed feeding the birds last winter, all that seed on the ground drew rats into our backyard.   We are still concentrating on eliminating our rat problem.   

Honored Contributor

LOTS of activity today and the past few days. it is about 20 degrees today for our high in the baltimore area.

the birds are eating up the seed like crazy. i have also been throwing out some bread and crackers on the ground.

they are loving the suet.

any ideas on how to secure a rectangle of seed or a bird bell so that no one is able to steal away with it? it last for a day or two and then it is gone......and by gone i mean "stolen." LOL.....probably by a squirrel.

we have seen mourning doves, blue jays, cardinals, woodpeckers, sparrows, and some other unidentified birds. i have to dig out my bird book. we also have squirrels, deer, and a fox.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@labloverrrand @RedTop, I too ended up with rats coming to my bird feeders. For awhile, I took the feeders down at dusk, and brought them back outside in the morning, but it was a pain in the neck, and just the thought of rats grossed me out!

It broke my heart to stop feeding the birds.

I now only feed finches & hummers, but will forever miss the bigger birds.

FYI: A guy at Ace Hardware sold me a poison to kill the rats - RatX; it's harmless to birds & predatory birds like hawks and owls, & only kills rats.

Here:

Wildlife Emergency Services blog: Introducing RatX

Muddling through...
Respected Contributor

To anyone having a seed problem tha's attracting unwanted rodents on the ground:

The last few years I have fed a mix called Deck, Porch and Patio. It is really "no waste" seed. It contains only the hulled seeds of sunflower, peanut, pistachio and pumpkin. If there isn't anything on the ground the problem moves on, might be worth a try!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Trusted Contributor

Had to run for my camera when wood woodpecker showed up at the suet cage!P1000962.jpg

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

LOTS of activity today and the past few days. it is about 20 degrees today for our high in the baltimore area.

the birds are eating up the seed like crazy. i have also been throwing out some bread and crackers on the ground.

they are loving the suet.

any ideas on how to secure a rectangle of seed or a bird bell so that no one is able to steal away with it? it last for a day or two and then it is gone......and by gone i mean "stolen." LOL.....probably by a squirrel.

we have seen mourning doves, blue jays, cardinals, woodpeckers, sparrows, and some other unidentified birds. i have to dig out my bird book. we also have squirrels, deer, and a fox.

Try getting a wire container designed for that suet block -- it comes with a chain to hang from a tree or this kind:

https://www.wildaboutbirds.com/shop/suet-sized-upside-down-feeder?gclid=CMzWmabZs9ECFR2Bswod-HUGXw

One side of the roof lifts up to slide in the suet block. It comes with a cord and you can hang from a tree directly or use an extended S metal hook to hang from a branch.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼