Respected Contributor

Anything happening at your winter birdfeeder(s)?

We are having a really mild fall here in MN and the are still enjoying some migratory waterbirds. 

Our feeders have the regular winter denziens, but a couple of nights ago we spotted our first ever Flying Squrrels feeding after dark! There were 5 of them and it was a riot to watch them! They have been back every evening since!

Anything happening in your backyards?

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

Re: Anything happening at your winter birdfeeder(s)?

So far just the usual assortment of chickadees, juncos, cardinals, and woodpeckers.  Do the flying squirrels fly onto your birdfeeders or climb / jump like other squirrels?

Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr 

It depends on how far away they are. If the are up in the tree they actually glide down to the feeders, it's really fun! We turn the backyard lights on to watch them, they are not at all shy!

I have 3 feeders in a row just outside the windows and they jump from feeder to feeder. When they argue with each other and start jumping and gliding it gets really busy! They even cling to the screens of the windows! Happy to have them, better than raccoons! we have been lucky this year and haven't seen any!

Honored Contributor

No birds. The cat chases them away.

Trusted Contributor

I feed the birds year round. We think it kind of fun to see all the different kinds. In the summers we like to hear the different sounds they make, not to mention the babies.

Honored Contributor

I feed them year round too. The woodpeckers in warmer months eat insects and now fly to peanut pieces feeder which are high in fat. I saw today 1 nuthatch eating upside down on that peanut feeder. My flckers (woodpeckers) are back. No juncos yet.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@brewhaha wrote:

No birds. The cat chases them away.

@brewhaha I have indoor cats only and they are fascinated by the birdfeeder activity! I swear there are times they are begging to be let out to have at 'em!

Esteemed Contributor

I have black capped chicadees, Cardinals and woodpeckers.....

They sit on the small fence and wait for me to fill the feeder.....LOL

Respected Contributor

@Nataliesgramma Too cute! I swear they are the pushiest little mules! I'm guessing they will start pecking on my windows when I'm late getting the seed out for them! Love wild birds!

Esteemed Contributor

We live in Eastern woodland, and wetland, and one of my favorite things is watching the birds.  We continue to get many, and an enormous variety, due to unfettered habitat.  @Jacie, I'm pretty sure we have flying squirrels (they have a den in an ancient native slippery elm) but I've never seen them.  How neat that you have!  @JustJazzmom, we are lucky to have droves of flickers the year round.  I hear their squawk all the time, and of course they are amazing to see.  The snowbirds (juncos if anyone doesn't know) have been here a few weeks.  Didn't catch the cedar waxwings coming through, but somehow the tatarian honeysuckle fruit got eaten.

I keep suet out the year round, and white millet scattered on the ground.  I don't need to, but I like to concentrate my view out the kitchen window.  Happy birding!

Cogito ergo sum