Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone getting roses this spring??

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

Ha ha - JJM - I see the lavender colored ones every year, too.  Must be a good market for these things.

I planted out a set three of these little guys about three years ago. They are a garish pink, they are the devil to prune so I generally don't, and are getting swamped by my robust mixed border, but the darn things persist and seemingly thrive.

The ones I have in pots (Gigi and Dora!) are easier to work with 'cause I can set them up on the deck rail.  Gigi succumbs to an early fungus (I don't care) and her flowers often revert to pure red.  Dora's color is so darn pretty I'll take any flower I can, and she does produce pretty well.

Happy gardening, @JustJazzmom!  Before we know it the hummers will be here.

Thanks for the thread, @Dazlin

@Sweetbay magnolia I was going through receipts and the name of the lavendar mini rose is Lamy.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Super Contributor

I was hoping to, but I can't find any varieties I like that are on Fortuniana (own-root roses and varieties grafted to Dr.Huey or multiflora rootstock don't do well in Florida soil thanks to the nematodes that are present. Fortuniana-grafted varieties also cope better with the horrid sandy garbage that passes for soil that so much of the state, even the inland areas, has been cursed with). I may have to take a trip to the rose nursery down  in Clermont when they're open to the public, or mail order from a specialized grower in Mississippi to find what I want. I grow hybrid teas and floribunda roses (Knock-Outs will never darken my door -- to me, they're just a shrub that looks like a rose).

Super Contributor

@Kachina624Peace is a gorgeous rose, but in wetter areas of the country, is horribly susceptible to blackspot. We had two when we lived in NJ, one in the front yard and one in the back, as well as two of its sports, Chicago Peace and Glowing Peace), but I can't find one down here. I may have to bite the bullet and mail order one from a specialty grower in Mississippi.

Super Contributor

@Dazlin, where in Central Florida? I have two recommendations for rose sources for you, depending on where you live.

Super Contributor

@esmeraldagooch, Chicago Peace is one of my favorites! We left a huge one behind in New Jersey (it was 15 years old and bloomed like a son-of-a gun -- it was more blackspot-resistant than Peace, too), and I haven't been able to find one down here in FL.

Respected Contributor

@kathya1119 wrote:

@Dazlin, where in Central Florida? I have two recommendations for rose sources for you, depending on where you live.

Im in Ormond Beach, near Daytona Beach area.   I got my roses at Aboretum on Rt. 40.  Theyre from Weeks Roses.  Im happy with them so far.  Although, I haven't experienced a summer with them.   I agree about Florida soil, that's why it has to be dressed up, or as I do, put in LARGE pots.  I figure I can move them if necessary.   I'd really love to the Old English roses...very fragrant, with packed petals.   Other than ordering online, I think there may be some in Gainsville...a hike for me.

Honored Contributor

I thought my Peace was bullet proof.  It seems to thrive on neglect.  I think it was planted in 1984.  I love the blossoms from it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment