Respected Contributor

Anyone getting roses this spring??

I just pruned 3 that I have, and treated for disease.  My local aboretum has 650 rose bushesWoman LOL  They'll be ready March 1st, and after....  I've been there a few times checking on the variety.  I've got my list ready, and so far I chose EbbTide, Sugar Moon,another pink variety (cant remember the name right now).   I'm going back March 1st, with a few others on my list.   I really wanted Earth Angel, Grand Dame, but he doesn't has those.   I'm hoping for the large blooms, and strong scent.

Anyway, If I get 4, I'll be content.    Share what you guys have, and if your getting anything new...love to hear.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone getting roses this spring??

You know, I would love to have a "Fourth of July" (climber).  I may look for one.  It's not particularly disease resistant, but it's not bad.  

I have an old Mr. Lincoln (the fragrance!) and an old Queen Elizabeth, and some relatively new "Passionate Kisses" that are coming along nicely.

I visited an estate that had a formal rose garden bordered by Hydrangea paniculata "Tardiva".  In high summer it was purely beautiful.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

When I bought my house in 1999, there was a big rose bush near the entrance.   I identified it as "Peace".   This bush has taken all kinds of neglect; it often doesn't get pruned or fertilized,  goes for periods with no water but constantly produces huge blooms.   The flowers are gorgeous,  big ivory blooms with some being pale yellow,  with a pink center.   They are extremely fragrant.  It's a fantastic rose for anyone who doesn't want to spend time pampering their flowers. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Sometimes in harsh northern winters regardless of how well you protect them, there can a bush or two which don't survive winter.  For that reason I always plan on buying a rose bush or two.  However, this winter has been so mild in Chicago that I don't foresee having to bring in any new replacements.  Some of the suburban and outside the city towns have had snow, but so far, the inner city (where I live) we've had zero major snowstorms, and only about five days where the daytime high has been less than 20-degrees.  That is mild for this area.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ebb Tide does get blackspot, look for its grandiflora relative Twilight Zone for a more disease resistant dark reddish purple rose.

Ebb Tide starts off w/o disease but as the summer wears on, it gets blackspot. I have it in my rose garden.

Look at the Newflora website for disease resistant Kordes roses. The Parfuma series (Earth Angel is one of them) are fragrant and look at the Sunbelt series which tolerate a lot of heat. 

If if you want a lavender disease resistant rose look at Kordes Poseidon.

Print out pictures to take with you. 

Helpmefind roses says Sugar Moon is very disease resistant. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin I only have one and that's enough for me. I can't remember what it is but I bought it in a moment of weakness because it was supposed to be free of disease, etc. It has been for the most part. I'm so allergic to the stickers so I avoid having any others, but this one is a very prolific bloomer and is pretty against my white cannas Heart

Weekend Graphic #6

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

I'm with @pattypeep -- I'm not buying any new ones, and last year I had some of my old, big, diseased ones dug out.  I have a few left but, I swear, that cantankerous red one that grows on my arbor is going to be the death of me.  I love roses, but guess I'll settle for the ones I buy at the florist shop. 

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

Nice to hear what everyone is getting...jazzmom, appreciate the tip on Ebb Tide, I'll pass on that one. There is another purple he has, I'll look into it. I'm not so stuck on the color anyway, I have a BARBARA STREISAND that's mauve, and smells pretty. I love love those old English roses with LOTS of petals and, of course good on the disease resistance. Hard to find . I'm trying to stay local, so I can see what I'm getting. I'll tell ya...this disease thing is a total bummer. I'm in central Florida, and literally just about EVERYTHING gets it!! I do as best as I can...then they get trashed if they don't cooperate.
Honored Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:
Nice to hear what everyone is getting...jazzmom, appreciate the tip on Ebb Tide, I'll pass on that one. There is another purple he has, I'll look into it. I'm not so stuck on the color anyway, I have a BARBARA STREISAND that's mauve, and smells pretty. I love love those old English roses with LOTS of petals and, of course good on the disease resistance. Hard to find . I'm trying to stay local, so I can see what I'm getting. I'll tell ya...this disease thing is a total bummer. I'm in central Florida, and literally just about EVERYTHING gets it!! I do as best as I can...then they get trashed if they don't cooperate.

David Austin's later cultivars are veering towards disease resistance -- Extension Demo Rose garden has Mayflower and Queen of Sweden.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

I forgot.  I have two pots of mini roses that came from the grocery store.

One is a lovely peach, and is like a very small tea.  I love it.

The other is a red bi-color (like 4th of July) and is a true mini.

Both suck in the humidity of summer, but who doesn't?  Right now they are in the garage - it has windows - but we've had a relatively mild, temperature-wise, winter, and I think I need to move them out soon. 

Cogito ergo sum