Contributor

Any tips for getting rid of Morning Glory vines? Must be pet-friendly, so no toxic chemicals

Morning glory is taking over one area of my yard!!

About 4 years ago, my next-door neighbor planted some morning glory vines along the fence that separates our property. The fence is ugly so I understand why he did it, but the morning glory is so invasive that we can't keep it under control. My DH and I have been dealing with the vines for the past 3 summers by pulling them off the fence and trying to pull them out of the ground by the roots. They just keep coming back stronger than ever. We just noticed this morning that they have taken over another area of the yard so we really want to try to get rid of them.

I have a dog so I don't want to use any type of weed killer that would harm him, the neighborhood cats, or the squirrels and birds who reside in our yard. Plus, I do not like to put a bunch of chemicals around that could get into the water supply.

Do you have any suggestions on how we can control these vines other than weed killer or killing ourselves trying to do it manually? I think they are very pretty but there are just way too many of them.

TIA.