Valued Contributor

Re: Any Hummingbird sightings?

I put 3 hummingbird feeders out last week.  Have not seen any hummers so far.  I live in SW GA about an hour North of FLA. 

Last year I saw my first sighting on March 24  (noted  on my 2016 calendar)  

We are having a freeze snap here for a few nights and I will bring the feeders inside so they will not freeze and break.  They will be put out again this weekend, temps in the 70s. 

Keep Calm and Hummer On, CAT

Honored Contributor

@Nevadablue wrote:

Go to hummingbirds.net and you can follow them on a migration map. 2017 map is up looks like a few sightings on the coasts of Florida.

HERE is the link to the migration map for Spring 2017 for those interested. I find it fun to check it every couple of days to watch the progression.

Like others, we have to wait til the beginning of May...lasy year our 1st arrived on May 2nd Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@Susan Louise 

Thank you for the 2017  migration map link! 

I just checked it and I see HUMMERS all over Georgia! 

My three  feeders have been cleaned and refilled with fresh food this afternoon.    

Last year my first Hummer was seen on  3/24.    I will post a note when i see one soon! 

ON HUMMER WATCH in SW GA, 

CAT

Esteemed Contributor

@Nataliesgramma I have plants in my bay window and one of the plants is the poinsettia left over from Christmas, full of red blooms still. I was standing at the window yesterday and a beautiful hummer swooped in to get to the poinsettia ~ spotted it from somewhere. Beautiful orange color on the hummer.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

I have hummingbirds year round, even when it snowed

Esteemed Contributor

@esmeraldagooch  Is that a trumpet vine or honeysuckle?  It looks well established!  How old is it?  Do you ever prune it?

@pattypeepWhat is the name of your plant?  The flowers are a beautiful pink!

Keepin' it real.
Valued Contributor

HUMMER ALERT!     SW GA 

I saw my first hummer visitor on 3/27 around sun down.    

The past two or three days I have seen a few visitors to the feeders.  

THEY ARE BACK!!   YAY! 

Keep Calm and Hum On,  CAT

Esteemed Contributor

Lucky you, @gacat123 ~ I hung my feeders up last week even tho the hummers are still a state away.  You never know, maybe one will sneak thru early....?

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

I'm in So. Arizona. Hummers all year. Salvia grows and blooms all year and mine are always there. I have some other plants....one is called a Mexican firecracker...with orange tubes and they love that too.

Have some other plants that say they attract hummingbirds but they don't seem to hav gotten the memo.

Honored Contributor

@Sadiesadie wrote:

I'm in So. Arizona. Hummers all year. Salvia grows and blooms all year and mine are always there. I have some other plants....one is called a Mexican firecracker...with orange tubes and they love that too.

Have some other plants that say they attract hummingbirds but they don't seem to hav gotten the memo.

Mexican heather is also its name; Cuphea is the Latin name.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼