Esteemed Contributor

Two weeks ago, I moved a Rhododendron that I am pretty sure would not have survived the winter in it's old location.  I know it's late to do this but it took a turn for the worse.  It's leaves are droopy.  I am watering it.  Is there anything else I can do to help it along?  It is in a good location now so I hope it survives.  Advice appreciated.  TIA.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

Re: A Rhododendron in Trouble

If anything, it's better to wait until the plant is dormant, to move it, so I don't think you were "late".  Hopefully you got most of the root system and kept it intact - it sounds like it's gone into "transplant shock".  Was it large?  Was it looking good when you dug it?

There used to be (and may still be) a product called "Roots" that is used in the nursery trade for newly "dug" trees, that get into commerce.  I would look for that, or I would use a foliar spray of fish emulsion/seaweed and a soil drench of the same.

Be cautious of overwatering.  Even though this should be treated as a new plant, rhodos thrive where the roots, which are shallow, get lots of oxygen as well.  In the wild they grow in forested soils with lots of decomposed matter, on mountainsides.  Not exclusively, but that's where I have seen them at heights of 20'.

Mulch it lightly, make sure you did not plant it too deeply, and hope for the best!  Do water it well if things become dry and the soil is predicted to freeze (beyond your norm).

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sweetbay magnolia, it is now in forested soil as you describe.  We got all the roots and know not to plant it too deep.  I have root boost, good idea.  I'll give it some tomorrow.  It wasn't large, maybe 2-3 feet high and it was not looking good when I moved it.  Thanks for your advice.  I hate to lose a shrub.  LM

PS, I'm in Zone 5.

Esteemed Contributor

Good luck!

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I agree with @Sweetbay magnolia; when leaves flag after a transplant, its called 'transplant shock'.

You are doing everything correctly and the plant should adjust within a week's time.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Regular Contributor

@Lilysmom

Though I can offer no advice, I wish you every success with your poor, recovering rhododendron.  They are my absolute favorite blooming "bush."

In San Francisco around Easter every year, we always drove down  the "Main Drive," now Kennedy Drive," just to view the Rhododendron Glen in full bloom.  I don't know how many bushes comprised that glen, but it was gorgeous. 

On our last trip to The City, I was devasted to see that the glen was no more.  Even if the rhododendrons were aging, they should have been replaced, at least in my book!  (I nearly cried, I loved those bushes so much.)

I know...how does one fall in love with a bush or a collection of bushes?  Well, the beauty of them just struck a note with me, which has remained all these years.  And now, having moved after retirement to the Pacific Northwest, I find I now live in Rhododendron country.  Yay!

All the best to your challenged rhododendron, Lilysmom.

~Rebecca

Esteemed Contributor

You've received a lot of good suggestions. I would just like to add that rhodies are very tough. You can prune them back anywhere along the stem come spring if it is still looking sad. You won't, of course, have any blooms next year by doing so, but I truly believe your plant will survive. I am in the PNW and have moved and pruned multitudes of rhodies and have not lost one yet. (Knock on wood). I talk to my plants, too. I tell them if they don't stand tall, they will find a new home in the compost bin. That usually does the trick. LOL.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Contributor

I really love the look of the rhododendron, but never had any luck with them.  Last one I tried was forever filled with bugs. Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

@Twilight77, I can relate to your experience.  I have moved a couple I gave up on to a spot near the lake.  That was my last ditch stop for those. Interestingly enough, they are now the happiest looking Rhodos on my property.  I just ignore them and they grow like crazy and bloom every year.  Finding the right spot seems to be key.

I have also heard some say it can take years for a Rhodo to bloom.  I hate that especially if the shrub looks like it's not doing well.

I hope this one I moved likes it's new home.  I hate to lose a shrub.  I need a Rhodo expert to come and pray over me or pray over my shrub or something😩!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@pattypeep, I answered @Twilight77 before I saw your post.  I am going down the hill tomorrow to have a word with that Rhodo haha.  That should do it.  I talk to my plants too😀🌻!!!  I haven't been down there for a week so I will be interested to see if the root boost made a difference.

Thanks for posting.  With these Rhodos I need encouragement and so do they.  LM