Contributor

Re: A Favorite for Southern Gardens

I like them.  Live in zone 7.  We have three of the Natchez in our front yard.  Love the color of their bark. When I is hot hot hot here and everything else is tired.  They start blooming.

Trusted Contributor

I love crepe myrtles. We have a lot of them in this area...mostly the dark pink ones and the white. So pretty when they're in bloom.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 such gorgeous trees! When I lived in Atlanta, they were everywhere and just magnificent.

I actually have 2 planted in the backyard her in eastern PA. They are not as bushy as those but they look pretty good in the summer.  it's just about time to prune mine for the season. Early spring is the time

Esteemed Contributor

@shoesnbags I read his column too.  And yes murdering the crepe myrtles is not a good thing.  I tip trim mine and get rid of any branches that have crossed. Otherwise I leave them alone.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Crepe Myrtle booms non-stop all summer in full sun with big showy flower clusters which may be red, pink, lavender or white.

1000002428.jpg

Yep.  I live in the south and have that tree in the same color.  They are very popular.  Just about everyone has one of more of these.

Trusted Contributor

I have 7 that I have had for many years. I don't trim, I don't even water them. They are beautiful when in bloom, just have to look at sticks until the beauty starts
Every year I have babies crepes that pop up. I mow over them. I do feel a bit sad to be a "crepe murderer" especially to baby ones, but I don't want anymore.

Respected Contributor

That's beautiful.

What worries you masters you.
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624  Yes, beautiful trees. I have 3 in my Fl. backyard in  single trunks with bright Pink Flowers. We have them cut back in Jan. & the trunk & branchs are also beautiful without leaves. My Neighbor has 2 muti trunks in Lavender & White. 

Respected Contributor

@Zhills  Mine are tall but in my large backyard. You have to place them when they are small considering their mature growth. I love them even tho they are messy. In Fl. the large ones branches have to be heavily cut back to keep them from not getting overgrown & still they get tall in the season here. They only flower for about 6 or 7 wks here but worth it for me!

Respected Contributor

@Carmie  I have full grown large trees. They do have dwarf shrub like trees that can be trimmed up from the base branches into a small tree. I think thats what you mean by little trees or a small tree that in years grows large.