Trusted Contributor

why all the sleeveless dress's on tv reporters

Please, please tell me why all the sleeveless dress they are wearing?Anddont tell me that they want to show their arms>It is the dead of winter,all the states have cold,cold weather,and we still see them have naked.

Valued Contributor

Re: why all the sleeveless dress's on tv reporters

I assume those studio lights create a tropic-like environment....that has to be the only explanation. If it is for ratings (i.e., more skin showing), then that's truly sad.

Honored Contributor

We go through this topic quite a bit. What I can't understand is..if the studio lights are that hot, how come the men sit there in suits and ties? Doesn't make any sense.

Esteemed Contributor

The First Lady started this dress trend. I have never cared for sleeveless dresses, hope it ends soon. Every time I dress shop, its hard to find anything with any type of sleeve.

Honored Contributor

Maybe I'm imagining this, but I recall lots of sleeveless dresses that I wore working in offices during Summer vacations. I recall donating them many years ago. (Also, tweed/herringbone jumpers, which I loved and wish they would make a comeback.) ......... Now I'm thinking.....was I the only one wearing sleeveless? I was rather conservative in those days, and now I'm asking myself: 'Why, why, why?'..........

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Sleeveless sheath dresses have been popular for a very long time.

I see newscasters wearing dresses with all different sleeve lengths. I don't understand why people care what they are wearing.

Trusted Contributor

I've noticed the same thing, an excess of sleeveless dresses. I'd like to see more variety.

Honored Contributor

I have worked for years in TV and advertising.

Dresses with long sleeves create a WIDER field - making the person look heavier.

Sleeveless dresses break up the expanse of material, reducing the "size" of the person behind the desk.

Honored Contributor

Skin

Esteemed Contributor

It's about women as s€cks objects. Fox is notorious for as much leg exposure as possible, but they're not the only ones. CBS tried to use Katie Couric's legs to raise ratings, to no avail. Arm exposure is just the next phase of the same phenomenon. The first lady's great- looking arms became the standard for TV personalities. I live in upstate NY, where seeing female anchors in sleeveless summer dresses when it's 10 below zero outside is ludicrous. The men are still wearing suits and ties. I do not believe the bare-arm/bare-leg phenomenon has anything to do with studio temperatures. Until we see their male counterparts in Speedos, we can assume the women are treated as secks objects rather than journalists.