Respected Contributor

What  you need to remember is that it is NOT the cost of materials that make up the price of a garment, but #1 the time/labor/machinery to manufacture it and #2 the mark-up to provide a profit for all the various hands along the way that get a cut.  The cost of the material is literally almost negligible when pricing clothing!  Now gold jewelry, that does factor into the cost, gold being hundreds of dollars a gram, but clothes?  Not a factor unless your garment is made from spun gold and your name is Rumplestiltskin.

Esteemed Contributor

it all balances out in the end. i really like the egalitarian spirit that it denotes. Larger people are discriminated against in so many ways, i think that having tbe same pricing is refreshing for everybody concerned. Personally, I would like to charge self centered, narcissistic people more....but that is not how it works, right? Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

When I'm shopping at Macy's or online at Land's End (or wherever) for women's clothes, I can't remember ever seeing a lower price for smaller sized items for women as opposed to higher prices for an extra large sized item. I think that the majority of women's clothing sold are a size medium, so the price point reflects the cost of clothing for the majority....I have no statistics for that statement - just that I've read that most women are a size 12 - 14. Maybe you were just joking with your post!

Honored Contributor

Re: tsv sweater size/price

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

Gold jewelry seems to always go up in price as the size increases.  With silver the cost of the metal between sizes is negligible so most sellers don't increase the price.

I consider silver semi-precious.  The precious metals gold and platinum do not react. Silver unfortunately does. Gold and platinum will last forever with a brilliance that time doesn't diminish. Silver will blacken with age.  When divers discovered a Spanish Gallon that went down in the ocean 500 years ago, the gold shone in the water as it was made yesterday.  The silver was blacken mess.   Gold might be forever, but silver might not make it.  The irony is that if you wear silver and never take it off, it will never tarnish.  The rubbing against your skin keeps silver from tarnishing. But people usually have more then one or two pieces of silver.  They can't wear it everyday.  So it stays in a keeper, it will eventually tarnish.  You buy silver because it's cheap,  It sparkles when new & you'er happy.  But only for a short time.  

Honored Contributor

it's the labor