Honored Contributor

I am from the Harrisburg area of Pennsylvania.

Gum is a reference to elastic as in an elastic waist, or a gum band waist .

Hubby and I travel a lot.  My hubby's language is very regional:; Mine is not because I talk professionally to people all over the US. I tend not to use the local slang.

You should be the faces of people when he asks "What time do yunz close?"  Translation..How late are you open for business?

Imagine the head scratching when the store tells you the milk is all.

Translation...The milk is sold out and they don't have any more.

Language is always evolving.

Honored Contributor
Spoiler
I like Amy.  that being said...I have never heard of "climb into" an article of clothing..it's weired.  What state is she from???
"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Trusted Contributor

@baker wrote:

It's slang in my opinion when referring to putting on clothes. Amy is just trying to sound hip.

When I was a young kid, my mother always told us to climb into our pj's and she would read us a bedtime story.  I'm 46, so that was a long time ago.

Respected Contributor

I do not "climb into" my clothes, I "put them on". But, I do "climb into" our 4x4 truck. 

I am sure a lot of people just "get dressed". Maybe it depends where your from ...

-Texas Hill Country-
Trusted Contributor

Just Amy's effort to add a little color and variety to her speech.  "Climb into" goes right along with "throw on", "toss on", "slip into", and other casually unconventional expressions used relative to wearing clothes.  This is hardly a biggie.

Contributor

When she first stated saying that last month it was 'cute.'    Now she's getting on my nerves with it.  I think she just enjoys saying it, but she's wearing it out.  Time to mute.Woman Mad

Contributor

I meant "started" saying.

Valued Contributor
I'm from Western Pa. We also "climb into" 4x4 trucks or vans, not so much shoes or clothing unless they're in the the top part of the closet. I also get annoyed with the over usage of this term, especially when she says it many times during a presentation. I know it's petty to gripe about things like this, but QVC should know that when things are repeated ad nauseum, such as climb into, literally, amazing-amazing, and IMO, the worst-my stars and garters????, many of us tune right out and take our spending money with us. And I always was told "yunz" was short for you ones. Like "what did yunz have for lunch" or "are yunz going to the fair". It's a Pittsburgh slang but I wouldn't use it during professional conversations.
Honored Contributor

I did not hear the comment the OP referrs to but "climb into" can be an appropriate comment. It is quite common...but I confess that I don't discuss getting dressed very often so I do not hear it much. lol....

Trusted Contributor

Climb every garment

Tear every seam

Follow every new trend

Till you shock your teen.

☀️...And I think to myself what a Wenderful world.☀️