Super Contributor

Why does Amy always say, "Climb Into?" Is that a term from somewhere in the country?  

I have always said, "Put on" or "wear."  I only use the term "climb" when referring to getting into bed or going up a ladder or something.

Does anyone else say "Climb into?"

Frequent Contributor

I was wondering if she was climbing a mountain as she tried on outfits

Trusted Contributor

It is perfectly acceptable. From the Oxford Dictionary:

"(climb into) Put on (clothes):

he climbed into his suit

MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES

But she might just as well be expressing her thrill at climbing into clothes a size smaller than before.

They all begin climbing into old style pressure suits, to add an extra safety factor above their life belts.

I have no memory of climbing into my space suit and double-checking all the seals before I must have vented the airlock."

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Super Contributor

Thank goodness I am not the only one!

Trusted Contributor

Once again the hosts need to explain things in a professional way. Someone coach them please!  Sometimes I think it is just me then when I read the threads I realize other people are also annoyed. If you are a sales person get the point across and omit the slang. I don't need to Climb into a piece of clothing. 

Honored Contributor
Just get your ladder ready, lol.
There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Super Contributor

Thanks for the dictionary version.  I still picture climbing mountains & ladders...guess I am an ordinary girl & not gifted with high verbage.

Honored Contributor

I am from Pennsylvania and I don't think climb into is an odd statement.    I personally don't say it, but I have heard others saying it.

I  love to travel and also love to hear regional language.  Come to PA for a visit.  There are a ton of sayings that will have you scratching your head in wonder.

Respected Contributor

I grew up in a rural area and heard it when refering to putting on  one's clothing. I think the great part about living in America is the interesting cultures bringing about interesting language,  Who knows it may date back to armour wearing xs . Woman LOL One would have to 'climb into that!

Respected Contributor

Can you imagine how Jed and Ellie Mae felt when they moved into the Hollywood Hills?

Dag nab it, Ellie Mae, you climb into those britches right away, let's get out into the hills and find some food.  OK Pa.

Loved that show...where's the reruns.