Trusted Contributor
caught the tail end of jill's show last night & heard her say she would be missing her high school reunion in cali due to broken ribs...ouch did she say what happened?
Honored Contributor

Re: jill bauer's broken ribs???

I guess everyone has a different pain threshold..........but I broke 8 ribs (falling off a ladder while washing windows)........and drove 400 miles from LA to PHX for a birthday party......three days later.    I was fairly uncomfortable, but it was an event I didn't want to miss...........  

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Yes, she mentioned it in the first couple of minutes of her show.  She fell over the weekend and fractured her ribs.  To calm people in case she appeared to be moving wierd or grimacing a bit, she said she wanted to tell everyone she's OK upfront, just sore.  I really applaud her for even showing up and working through it!

Honored Contributor

I had broken ribs among other things like a broken neck.  This was from a car accident this past March. My ribs healed in June, but it took till July for my neck to heal.  Rib bones heal more quickly because they are larger then the neck bones.  If those are her only injury, then it probably wouldn't take her very long to heal. She'll probably wear a soft cast.  I had a plastic cast which was hell to sleep in.  Later I got a soft cast.

Honored Contributor

Was it hard for her to move in the body cast?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We all have different thresholds of pain - mine is pretty low. I went to Target one day and became a target. I was bending over slightly to pick up something on a lower shelf when a boy about 6 or 7 came flying around the aisle pushing a shopping cart backwards - the handle jammed into my rib cage, breaking four ribs. Like when I broke some in high school tumbling, the pain was awful. One didn't heal just right, and it "nails" me several times a year. You can't do anything with cracked or broken ribs - every time you moveor even breathe it hurts. For me it's major pain!  Kudos to Jill for even showing up.

Honored Contributor

Good Lord ! I would had sued the inattentive mother in court and won.

Gees, Louise ! What a story !

Honored Contributor

Broken ribs are painful and can take a long time to heal. 

Honored Contributor

I've never broken ribs, thankfully, but I know a few people who have and they took quite awhile to heal and they were very, very painful according to them.  And there was no cast they put on for them.  I believe one of them had the area rapped but that was it. 

Breaking ribs is no joke.  Someone I know broke a rib which in turn punctured a lung. 

This must be why she has been off.  She posted on FB that she was off for several days and had been hanging out in her back garden and tinkering around.  

Honored Contributor

Ribs are VERY interesting bones. Some can be broken with very little pain, and some are excruciatingly painful when broken.

I used to get horrible bronchitis, sometimes more than once every season. When XRayed, I learned that I had broken several ribs which had healed without my knowledge or any intervention on my part, over the course of several years.

Conversely, I broke ribs in a different part of my skeleton (lower) that caused very severe pain when moving in any way, and especially when taking a deep breath.