Honored Contributor

Why Department Stores Just Aren't Cutting It Anymore

Department stores such as JC Penney, Sears and Macy's continue to close stores, while specialty stores such as Ulta and Nike, and discount stores like TJ Maxx, thrive. It's about the shopping experiences, and the thrill of the hunt, among other factors. 

Here's the link to an interesting article:

http://usat.ly/2mgbBP4

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

Re: Why Department Stores Just Aren't Cutting It Anymore

I LONG for a place (or a TIME-LOL) where and when I could take a leisurely walk through a beautifully appointed department store, stop at the coffee bar IN THE STORE for a leisurely lunch, get an update on my makeup etc etc etc etc

HOW I MISS THEM! Online shopping worked like a charm during the years my mom was total care. My whole wardrobe was QVC couture.

Then when I had the luxury of a peaceful walk through my favorite department store, it had morphed into an apartment house, fancy retail on the first floor!

I suspect there are more than just I who sorely miss the department store in a TOWN or CITY, not a mall. We're just reluctant to admit that we don't want to do all our shopping at TJ's (I love to shop THERE TOO).

Respected Contributor

Our world changes. Some call it progress. I'm guessing cost has a lot to do with the demise of the large department store. Cost for stocking items, staffing clerks and such, and energy costs for lighting, AC etc. The stores I miss are the larger women's stores where you could go and find styles you like , try them on, and stock your closet with fine outfits and accessories. It was fun just to see what was in the display windows. Remember window shopping?

*sigh*

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

You're right, they can't compete.  For me it's mainly the reason of convenience and price.  I'm  in a rural area in New England and there are no malls/ department stores unless I travel 45 minutes or farther.  But the Tjs and Marshalls are 15 minutes away.  I seem to always find what I need there and it's always reasonably priced.  Last time I was in a Macy's (years ago) I disliked the merchandise and very pricey.  That's reality- 

Frequent Contributor

In my case, it's that the PTB for Nordstrom, Macy's, Lord and Taylor, Ann Taylor, Talbot's, etc have decided that the area I live in doesn't have people looking for top notch work attire.  I'm a teacher, but I love to wear pencil skirts matched up with different options in blazers, good quality sheath dresses with jackets, maybe more what a lawyer would wear.  Makes me feel good and I think it helps with classroom management in a very subtle way.  I walk into Nordstrom and they have lovely dresses, but not work appropriate.  My local mall has closed the Talbots, but when it was open, they carried lots of cords and down vests, things I wouldn't wear on a day to day basis.  A few years ago, Banana Republic featured a Mad Men collection with a to-die-for belted skirt suit, but only the main store in Boston carried it.  Not spending $250 without trying something on and maybe having the hassle of sending it back. Macy's has a very small Jones New York section.  Ann Taylor has changed their quality and uniqueness from years past.  The Lord and Taylor in Boston and west of Boston have much more variety and more what I'd like to see, but I'm not spending a whole day trucking into the city and dealing with parking issues.

Honored Contributor

I do remember window shopping, it was almost as great as waling into the stores. 

We just read in our morning newspaper (which also is almost unheard of these days, touching and paper to read it) that JCP is closing.  In this area they've been talking about doing this for years.  Seemed to have made somewhat a come back, now the demise is here.

I struggle to understand why all of these great stores are closing.  Yet just last fall there was a 100 store conglomerate that opened here, 20 miles or so north of the Columbus OH metro.  It's called Tanger Outlet, the sister to the one just outside the Cincinnati area that's been there for 7 yrs maybe a bit longer.  I've been to that one, so over whelming you need to spend a week's time there. 

I don't shop malls anymore, haven't been in years.  I don't shop anymore like I used to, don't work anymore, no need for typical work clothes.  There are only 3 stores I may go to to buy clothes, 2 or 3 on line (and the q is not one of them), bed,bath,beyond.

I understand though that the majority of the shopping world does it online hence the closing of B&M, sad. 

Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

I LONG for a place (or a TIME-LOL) where and when I could take a leisurely walk through a beautifully appointed department store, stop at the coffee bar IN THE STORE for a leisurely lunch, get an update on my makeup etc etc etc etc

HOW I MISS THEM! Online shopping worked like a charm during the years my mom was total care. My whole wardrobe was QVC couture.

Then when I had the luxury of a peaceful walk through my favorite department store, it had morphed into an apartment house, fancy retail on the first floor!

I suspect there are more than just I who sorely miss the department store in a TOWN or CITY, not a mall. We're just reluctant to admit that we don't want to do all our shopping at TJ's (I love to shop THERE TOO).

Yep! Maybe it's an age thing @violann, but I miss the nice department stores we had in even our smaller town, back in the day.

First, they were 'downtown', then moved to the mall, in their glorious three story world of enchantment. The top floor had beautiful furniture, carpeting, crystal, china, silver, top quality linens etc. The middle floor was full of fine children's clothing, huge departments for luggage and kitchen wares. Then the main floor was expansive areas of fine jewelry, enticing fragrance, and endless men's and women's clothing. The handbag department alone took up as much space as fragrance!

I miss the three restaurants that were inside the store, a white table cloth establishment on the third floor with a view of the skyline, right down to the sandwich shop tucked into the main level back entrance to the store. 

I miss the sales clerks, who had done this same kind of work for 20 or 30 years, and knew their product inside and out. The ladies in the lingerie department could fit you for a bra with such expertise. The folks in furniture knew all about the construction of each brand, and who's fabrics were the best wearing.

There was opulence (at least for this small town rural based area), many more choices than those same stores offer in the same mall today, and SERVICE, something that is all but gone. 

I miss the big selection, being able to see and handle the product, and talk with folks who's job it was, to know the product inside and out. I think that is one reason Q still does well. It is one of the few places that you get to see someone demonstrate the product, discuss it's features, describe what it will do, explain the company etc.

Most places today, you have to just read the back of the box, as the employees have no idea about the product. They are simply trained to show you where the items you are looking for are located and run the register to take your money. 

The women in the clothing departments are just there to keep the dressing rooms cleaned out and put up new stock. The displays aren't anything like they used to be, the assistance on what color, cut, style might be good for your short stature, wider hips, long legs etc. is non existent. 

Oh, I too, LONG for that same place!

Honored Contributor

I used to work in retail. And I can fully understand why stores are closing. Retail is a tough business. We had people walking out of the store with entire diplays (and not paying for it), people returning stuff after they wore it for months, or stealing stuff and wanting to return it for money, and opening packages just to play with the item and then put it back on the shelf. And my favorite - using a display of plush characters as a bathroom. 

We threw out so much stuff  - and this was a small store. If we dealt with that, I can't imagine what a large department store deals with.

Honored Contributor

You got it @Mominohio!  We used to spend an entire day at those opulent  department stores.  It was entertainment.  Browsing, maybe a purchase or two, a meal and exercise all in one.  Leisurely talking with one another--nobody looking at a cell phone.  Ahh, the good old days!

Honored Contributor

DH and I were trying to remember how long it has been since we have been to a mall. Probably years!