Honored Contributor

Re: Who wants to shop at a messy looking department store?

@TX-starlight wrote:

That's why I don't shop at Ross or TJ Max. I went to Ross 2x & both times, clothes were all over the floor nothing in order on the racks. Only once at TJM, it was the same way. Both stores looked worse than a thrift store ever looked. 

The TJMaxx near me is immaculate.  They renovated the store (as well as another Marshall's) maybe 2 years ago and they're a pleasure to shop in.  Makes the Macy's look like a dump.

The old TJs and Marshall's were a mess.

I love shopping there now.

Honored Contributor

@sweetee2 wrote:

I hope I don't  upset anyone, but I feel I can talk about this subject. I  work at a high end department store for over 18 years as a Men's Tailor. The point I want to make is that anyone can get a job in retail. Be that as it may, it is a very hard job, very physical, on your feet for 8 or more hours, hourly goals, straightening merchandise,  customer service and 100's of other things. Not everyone is cut out to do this. 

The problem is the customers. They come in, take arm full of clothes into the fitting rooms then leave. This happens over and over again. They drop clothes on the floor and just leave it there. They rip through displays then walk away. I for one would not be happy having to straighten the same items day after day because people are slobs.

All I'm saying is let's have a little compassion.

It is always distressing to be reminded that so many people are just inconsiderate slobs.

Honored Contributor

I think our local Kohls is the next to close. I had to go today to exchange a outfit I purchased for GD -- ended up getting refund. The kids section was a total mess OR shall I say what's left of it. Very low inventory.

and they basically closed the closest mall to our area - Macy's, JCP and others closed.

I love shopping online with many retailers.  I like I can buy it and use my coupons and get it shipped for free! I guess the mall just doesn't appeal to me enough to drive 45 minutes to the closest one & I know online they usually have the item or size I need!

Honored Contributor

Guess my experience is different. My Macy's is neat & clean. Salespeople offer to help me. I still shop there frequently. My TJMaxx is also well maintained. Ross is an absolute mess: clothes on the floor, dirty dressing rooms - ick! Went there once - never again. 

Honored Contributor

Boils down to one thing, management.  They need to make neatness a priority.

Frequent Contributor

Amen.Customers are pigs.Dont care about the merchandise.I was in a store where the customer drove over a white shirt with her shopping cart instead of picking it up.There were tire marks on the shirt.Dont forget customers who leave their coffee cups/fill or empty ALL over the store.Customers have no pride anymore.

Frequent Contributor

Wrong as usual.Go work in one of those stores for a week and report back to us.

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

There has to be more to this ......  namely, the management at any given store and when we actually visit.

There are two Macys that I'll stop at now and then.   One is always immaculate, and the other is only okay .... but never a horrendous mess.

As for the various Ross, T J Maxx and Marshalls I'll shop at, none of them are sloppy.   I'm wondering if WHEN we go there isn't the defining factor.   I'll usually stop by during the week, usually late morning or early afternoon.  Perhaps things have been cleaned up by the sales force because there are fewer customers then to deal with?  I would guess that on the weekends, with more traffic in the stores, they don't even bother trying to stay ahead of the straightening.     Just speculating.   

Wrong as usual.Go work in one of those stores a week and report back to us.

Honored Contributor

This picture looks like the Macy's in my city with lots of clothes thrown on the floor....Store Managers don't seem to give a darn!

You only have to look to see how that might happen.

(except for ONE lone Macy's that is neat clean and well organized---they should promote the manager of the neat/organized store and maybe their sales would increase)....

Dillards and JCP don't look like this......and they have good sales going on too...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tedEbear wrote:

I feel a large part of the BIG DEPARTMENT STORES, not meaning Target, Walmart,etc   don't have the personnel that there used to be.  No one has experience or PRIDE in their departments or the store at large.  There is no "dress code" as in so many look like they are representing a PTA mom.  The high end stores need to go back to a "uniform" type of dressing.  Target and other big box have uniforms, even though it seems like they don't.   Black used to be the color of choice as it made a background for featuring the clothes that the customer was looking at.  If they wear something some with a weird pattern print and customer is looking at a weird print the clash will dissuade any purchase.   There is no one to tidy the department as the day goes on or really a crew that goes through at night and puts all departments back into a neat and classy department.

It boils down to not enough trained, caring personnel.   My opinion only------tedEbear 

@tedEbear @chrystaltree

But other big Department Stores also have the same problem with limited personnel yet their stores are neat and tidy!!!!   The Sales Associates at Dillards are constantly cleaning up fitting rooms, making sure everything is neat an tidy....and there arent many of them either.  Also Ross and Marshall's used to be one gigantic mess even worse than Macy's yet they must've brought in new management, because everything now is neat, tidy, clean and organized..(Although I'm still not much of a Ross fan)...so it seems despite limited personnel it can be done!!!  It appears to be a Macy's problem--if other stores can get organized why can't they...).....and we also have TJ's/Home Goods combo store--this store is always a madhouse yet the store is still neat and clean!  I think it boils down to if Management and employees that care! Some employees have an attitude....I'm not being paid much so I'm not going to kill myself and I'll just do the minimum I can get by with....(even in my office setting there are a few people that I work with that have that same bad perspective/attitude....)

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Frequent Contributor

Don't get me started on Macy's, I like Ralph Lauren Jeans, they fit me just right. The last time I went to Macy's I found 2 pair same size and style. Lucky they had 2 pair!! Into the dressing room, first pair the inner seam was Crooked, it was all the way into the center front of the leg, I am standing there saying what the heck!!!,  the second pair were so tight I couldn't even get them on!! SAME SIZE SAME STYLE that I always wear. So down to Westfarms in CT. Lord and Taylor had 4 pair same size and Style #, ALL 4 Fit Perfectly!!! Is Macy's taking the Bad Cast Off's from Designers???