Respected Contributor

Am I missing something?

Why do I see so many "older" men (60+) wearing white tennis shoes now that winter is here?  Is it a new "fashion" statement for men?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Maybe they don't want to wear bright neon blue or orange or lime greens that are everywhere now so they just bought white. I think my DH has white ones and grey ones, he would never buy those neon colors.

Honored Contributor

Same reason old women wear them.  They HAVE a pair.  They are out of style for everyone (except the Keds and Converse types) and some old people don't care.  

Esteemed Contributor

Winter doesn't have any influence on wearing white out here. We wear white anytime of the year. I would say because they are comfortable. 

Esteemed Contributor

LOL You must have spied my dad out there in his white Converse All-Stars.  Believe me, we've tried to expose him to more fashion forward footwear, but he's too stubborn.  😜

Honored Contributor

Your post reminded me of last Fall taking my (then) 12 year old grandaughter shoe shopping at DSW Warehouse.

If you aren't familiar, there are 100's or more shoes there.  My granddaughter zeroed in on white (plain white) Keds!  I said, "But winter is here".  She said, "Doesn't matter.  All of my friends wear them all of the time".  I said, "OK but you also have to wear some that are more for bad weather".  She did and I bought two pair of shoes, the white Keds and some boots.

I guess she wore the Keds.  I don't see her every day so I have no idea.  I guess these days anything goes.

My late husband wore tennis shoes that were like Addis (sp) and like that.  Mostly white but with a little design.  He had tennis shoes for working out,tennis shoes for working in the yard and so on.  The thing they had in common was they were mostly white and modern.

I guess anything goes these days. In more ways than one.

Don't you guys think it's funny when you walk around a park in the summer like Disneyland and see all of the guys wearing brand new white tennis shoes!  It's cute and it's funny.

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

Am I missing something?

Why do I see so many "older" men (60+) wearing white tennis shoes now that winter is here?  Is it a new "fashion" statement for men?

Because they don't feel compelled to follow ridiculous and arbitrary fashion rules?

I know I don't.

Honored Contributor

Maybe for the same reason one of my nieces wore her pink winter boots all summer long one year.

It certainly wasn't because she had nothing else =  that child has enough shoes to wear something different every day of the season.

Respected Contributor

When they add a white belt then I'll be concerned. LOL

Respected Contributor

didn't it used to be that sneakers only came in white.  what did everyone do then?