Occasional Contributor

I'm don't seem to be ever up to date on the trends, and I don't care. I like what I like, but I don't like when I can't find what I once found and loved. My needs are flashy or classy, I just like the basics, the classics, if you haven't discontinued them. Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

These designers make over the top - tops.  I'm a tailored style female - blouses made like a man's shirt with a breast pocket or glasses when I shop.  Today I only see yards of material around the neck and/or cold shoulder or uneven hems.  Whenever Susan G or others bring out tailored shirts/blouses, they sell out immediately which is why I don't understand why they don't offer more and more of ths style.  So I wear my old stuff and wait and look for what I like.  Do not like what is being shown today.

Trusted Contributor

I wear what I like and is comfortable.  Until someone else pays for my wardrobe, I'll continue doing just that.

I don't need a certain 'uniform' in my life, so anything and everything I like stays in the closet.

I too, get irritated when things I like are - poof - gone.

Honored Contributor

When there's a particular brand or style  that I like, I tend to stock up on them ... buy a lot of extras just in case. 

Remember the QVC brands:  On-the-Go Style and Freelance?  I'm still wearing them?  And, a real suede (with lining) jacket from Look East, Indigo Moon dusters and jackets.

Respected Contributor

High-low hems will be gone before you know it. I used to get some cute and classic sportswear from Denim and Company8 to 10 years ago, but they cheapened the fabrics and have come out with cheap, gimmicky designs (guess QVC is going for the Walmart look) that have sent me right back where I came from-- to talbots, brooks brothers, Ralph Lauren, etc. What a shame. I don't need a fancy label, but I do want classic style (yes, with a current twist) and quality. i am still wearing in winter the QVC centigrade boiled wool coat from perhaps 8 years ago because I live it and I cannot replace it. Just try to find a good winter coat in wool on QVC! So frustrating. 

Respected Contributor

My closet (s) have all I need right now. My walk in is full and the guest bed room closet is almost full with my recent additions. I have no qualms about it. I have so many options, more than I could ever dream about when I was young. As DH always says, life is good.

Honored Contributor

I keep in touch by getting Bazaar magazine (those styles are now and during the next year), and watching Ralph Lauren Runway shows on youtube.

Every answer you get will be more subjective.  I taught fashion and Interior Design.  I was the top designer at a major anchoe store.

Remember:  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Honored Contributor

I am older --64 -- so I see a lot of cute, trendy things that I like, but I know are not age appropriate.  Just because these things are trendy and in style doesn't mean that everyone should wear them.  We can take some things and adapt them for our age, body type, whatever.  When I was young, I would worry so much about having to have the latet style, but now that's not on my worry list.  I still want to be current within reason.  I people watch and get a lot of tips this way.  I see a woman and think that looks awesome and I might somewhat copy some things to get a similar look.  I read magazines.  I observe.  I think this is the key.  Taking what is out there now and then adapting to your particular time in life.   

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor
Spoiler

Is someone telling you to wear things you don't like?  What is or is not in style or fashionable is subjective.  It's just a matter of personal opinion.  It's not a big deal to me.  I shop a lot, I like looking current but not necessarily trendy or cool.  I wear what I like, things that make me feel good about myself.  I'm 56, in my world that's too young to think about dressing appropriate.... for my age.  Fashion is fun and I hope it always will be.  

Respected Contributor

I'm in agreement that what is in style is what you like and what looks good on you.  The clothing manufacturers can show what they want, but if I don't like it I'm not buying.  I have really not liked most of what I've been seeing the last few years.  Makes me have to expand my retail searches even more.  I refuse to wear some of these ridiculous hemlines that EVERYONE seems to be pushing.  Looks awful IMO.