Honored Contributor

Re: What do you wear when you're walking outside in winter?

@Harpa wrote:

I'm usually out every day. In the cold, I wear 2 hats - an angora knitted hat underneath, a wool hat on top. Ever since my SIL got me a lightweight down jacket, I haven't  had to layer that with anything. I just wear a long sleeve tee underneath. Nothing else on my legs except close-fitting jeans & ankle socks to wear in my walking shoes.

But in the frigid, I like the idea of silk long johns - top & bottom.

@Harpa

Sounds good!  I have to have a warm head, neck and ears!  I hestate bundling up too much for fear I will get over-heated!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

I take a 30-minute power walk with my dog every day.  I live in the Mid-Atlantic so the weather changes daily, even in winter.  So cold weather walks dictate layers: leggings, thinsulated long sleeve top that zips up my neck like a turtle neck, and a fleece jacket.  I unzip the top as I get warmer so I don't overheat.

@Caaareful Shopper

Since I started walking a couple weeks ago, I am starting to see the same people and people walking their dogs!  It's kind of fun to share a few words and kind of get to know people and their pets a bit!  Thanks!  

Honored Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

I love to walk outside too.  Even when it gets cold, I prefer it and tend to walk much longer when I am outside as opposed to an indoor treadmill or track. 

I prefer wearing leggings and I have some fleece lined ones that I wear.  If it is very cold I layer a pair of Cuddle Duds leggings underneath.  Last spring I ran into a large display of Cuddle Duds clearanced our at WalMart for only $1.00 each!!  Needless to say I stocked up!  I got several pairs in various weights and have gotten a lot of wear from them.  

I also got got some of the Cuddle Duds tops in various weights too.  I layer them according to the temps and if the sun is shining or not.  I wear a fleece lined jacket with a hood over them.  It has a nice zippered chest pocket for my phone.  

Happy Walking!!!!

@4kitties

I feel the same way!  I get bored when I am inside walking!  Being outside just energizes me!  It clears my head and makes me feel alive!  Wow --- you really got some great deals!!! I was looking at those cuddle duds a while back and they were not cheap!  

Honored Contributor

@Love to Run wrote:

I run outdoors and wear performace clothing. Thinsulate and Under Armour make great light weight base layers.

@Love to Run

Thank you!  Running --- awesome!  I am not able to do that --- enjoy!!! 

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

I walk every day possible with my dog - except when it's raining or snowing or below 0.  I layer for warmth.   I have several pieces of Lokiwear which is made specifically for hiking and outdoors.  I have 2 jackets from there that are like a light felt material and long enough to cover the butt but are so warm and they have hoods and a thumbhole with material to pull over to cover the thumbs and hands and large pockets inside and out.  Warmer cold days (above freezing) I only need armwarmers, a long sleeved thermal top and the jacket.  On the colder days I wear arm warmers with a sweatshirt and then one of those jackets and that is all I have ever needed.  I wear stretch knee braces for my knees under leggings or stretchy jeans so my legs stay warm.  I don't like anything on my head so I usually just wear behind the head earmuffs of if really cold I will add a thick headband.  

The best thing to stay warm is to keep strong menthol  cough drop in your mouth at all times outdoors.  

@Pook

Sounds wonderful!  I have to have my head and ears covered!!!  I having been doing the cough drop thing because my throat and mouth get so dry -- but I never realized that this helps with the warm.  Wow! Thanks for all your info!!! 

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

It seems like my legs are always cold in the beginning of the walk. So II keep thinking I should wear my Cuddl Duds. But then after I walk about 1/2 a mile, I am OK. It also depends how windy it is that day.

My jacket is from Cabela's. It does a nice job of keeping the wind and cold out. So it just seems like the legs need extra.

Sam's has Cuddl Duds on clearance now. 

@drizzellla

That't me, too!  I have a couple of really nice, light, warm jackets.  But my legs get kinda cold when the temps drop.  So, I'm thinking maybe I just need an extra layer on the bottom!  I don't have a membership at Sam's any more, darn it!!!  

Honored Contributor

@Tricolor wrote:

I walk my dog in all kinds of weather. Lucky for her she has a lot of fur. I wear a pair of very warm sweatpants, an Under Armour top, thick socks, ear muffs, a down coat and mittens. Sometimes I wear a pair of Cuddle Duds under my sweatpants if its really cold and windy. They are so lightweight but definitely help with warmth. This keeps warm on the coldest days i.e., below 25 degrees. On a warmer day, I can get away with lighter clothing.

@Tricolor

So far, I have been pretty good.  Yesterday --- was my coldest day and I thought --- brrr --- I need some more covering on my legs. I also at times have to put a scarf across my nose and mouth --- which I hate but I have health issues and don't want to mess up my lungs worse!  Thanks!!!! 

Honored Contributor

@Misplaced Parisian wrote:

I wear performance clothing next to my body since it's designed to wick away moisture, assist in keeping one from over-heating when I exercise outside.  Over this I put exercise pants, sweatshirt, etc. whatever the weather dictates.  I live in the Midwest so our winters are extra chilly.  Hope this helps.

@Misplaced Parisian

I have to look up some of this performance clothing.  This is what I worry about --- getting overheated.  Thanks!!!  

Honored Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

I live in the DC suburbs, so really cold weather for us is 20 degrees or below. At those temps, I wear an optic white (for night visibility) Lands End down jacket and a fleece dickie. Mine has a bib on the front and back to keep the cold from going through the jacket’s neck opening. It has a long neck “tube” so I can pull it up over my chin and mouth, if necessary.  I also wear a tracker hat. It may look a little funny, but it works.  This is also when I break out the heavy duty sweat pants and thick socks. I still wear sneakers because they’re the best walking shoes for my feet, but they’re leather in the winter. I keep gloves in my pocket, but I can pull my hands up into the jacket’s sleeves, so I don’t always need to wear the gloves. Sometimes, I’m so bundled up that you can only see my eyes, but I feel pretty toasty on my walk. 

@Eileen in Virginia

I am kind of like that as well!  I have this crazy looking hat that DH laugs at but it is so warm! Also, I can't find any boots that don't bother my ankle issues so I just have to wear sneakers.  So far, my feet have been o.k, but I wouldn't mind a sneaker that had a bit more traction on it, and am looking around.  Thanks!  Happy walking to you!! 

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Cuddleduds....on sale at JC Penny.

@phoenixbrd

Oh, boy --- thanks!!!