Honored Contributor

I don't think the location necessarily means it's going to be casual. They can do a lot with tents and runners for flooring. it could very well be a formal wedding just outside

My biggest concern would be shoes. No spiked heels! LOL

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Many fairgrounds have black top, Pavilions, modern plumbing. Some companies rent out portable dance floors. If your a close family member I would think you can ask. The invitation might contain needed info. You have plenty of time, 6 months away.

Respected Contributor

Re: What Would You Wear?

[ Edited ]

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

Many fairgrounds have black top, Pavilions, modern plumbing. Some companies rent out portable dance floors. If your a close family member I would think you can ask. The invitation might contain needed info. You have plenty of time, 6 months away.

That would be great....just have never been to something like this before. I am hoping for more information at the shower....not until June.  

Again....up north...MI location

Regular Contributor

@tsavorite

ok; first, Michigan weather in September can by ANYTHING.  From windy/rainy/cold to mid-80s in the day; 40-60 at night.  Bugs are still an issue.

Second; you mention renting a fairgrounds.  If that is the Michigan State Fairgrounds on Woodward Ave/Eight Mile Road then it's a HUGE venue (four square miles??) and there are a lot of buildings --- it's not tents -- with wood or concrete floors.  Not to say the weather doesn't effect the inside temperature of those buildings because the fairgrounds was built as a summer venue. 

As to hotel; if that is the where the party is at then you'll be right on Woodward Ave and I'd call the Holiday Inn Express on Woodward and Fifteen Mile in Birmingham.  Make your reservations there.  Since you're a stranger to the area you don't want to be driving all around in the dark after the party trying to get back to your hotel.  Keep it simple.  Just saying!!!  There's a breakfast service right at the hotel.  Then when you're ready to head home just go south 4 miles on Woodward to the 696 expressway and head out of town.

Trusted Contributor

@tsavorite. Assuming your a Q customer, you will be able to get something on-trend,, figure flattering, gorgeous, modern, so money, elevated, and chic chic chic.

Just kidding, you'll find something perfect.

Honored Contributor

Early or late Sept? Early Sept I would wear a maxi and a shrug & flat shoes. Late Sept - a suit.

I'm sure there will be bathrooms at the venue. 

Honored Contributor

Re: What Would You Wear?

[ Edited ]

@tsavorite wrote:

I dont have any more details yet....probably won't get any until late June at the shower which I intend to get answers to these very important questions I have LOL! the toilet situation really has me concerned....I can remember those rented party potties....and men and women used either one and they would have pee on the seats and smell so bad...plus drunk people just ripping the door open on users!  My girflfirned would guard the door for me and I for her....I avoid public toilets like this and am dreading this.  Plus having a nice dress on and heels? sounds all wrong for this.....I don't even know what time of day at this point.  And it's a destination wedding thing....4hr drive one way for us....don't know about hotel or what.  I do know it's being catered by someone and burgers/hot dogs are on menu....bride told me this info.  

@tsavorite,you can always eat the hamburger (without the bun) with a fork and eat the fruit, vegies and dip on the side.

Respected Contributor

@forest4thetrees wrote:

@tsavorite

ok; first, Michigan weather in September can by ANYTHING.  From windy/rainy/cold to mid-80s in the day; 40-60 at night.  Bugs are still an issue.

Second; you mention renting a fairgrounds.  If that is the Michigan State Fairgrounds on Woodward Ave/Eight Mile Road then it's a HUGE venue (four square miles??) and there are a lot of buildings --- it's not tents -- with wood or concrete floors.  Not to say the weather doesn't effect the inside temperature of those buildings because the fairgrounds was built as a summer venue. 

As to hotel; if that is the where the party is at then you'll be right on Woodward Ave and I'd call the Holiday Inn Express on Woodward and Fifteen Mile in Birmingham.  Make your reservations there.  Since you're a stranger to the area you don't want to be driving all around in the dark after the party trying to get back to your hotel.  Keep it simple.  Just saying!!!  There's a breakfast service right at the hotel.  Then when you're ready to head home just go south 4 miles on Woodward to the 696 expressway and head out of town.

Hi I am not a stranger to MI it's where I live...sorry for the confusion...but to me a 4hour drive up north makes this a over night wedding and they are supposed to let us know about hotel situation.  It's nowhere near woodward....I wish it were so close to me LOL!  It's in Petosky MI....never been there....and it is a very small wedding....shower will only have at max 35 people and believe me many of my Husbands relatives won't drive up north 4hrs for a wedding.  So it's not expensive....I did post about menu....hamburgers/hot dogs...donuts/smores bride told me.  Place does let you have chairs...that's about all info I got the other day.  Again sorry about any confusion on my posts.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor