Trusted Contributor

Walking to school in a dress

I had to walk to school back in the day. Almost one mile. Pants were not allowed. In all kinds of weather. After 6th grade I could ride the bus. When a senior we could wear pants but not jeans.

We called tights leotards. I was a tom boy and mom would sew the ripped knees. 

Anyone else have to walk to school, up hill, in a foot of snow?

I am starting to sound like my mother telling the grands about the bad old days, "when I  was a kid"

Honored Contributor

Re: Walking to school in a dress

I actually got frostbite on my way to school.....................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes I remember waking to school in a dress all through most of elementary school until we moved when I was going into 6th grade.  Once my family moved I took a school bus.

I also remember wearing those tights which we also called leotards and for the most part they were uncomfortable and itchy!

It wasn't until the fall of 1968 when I was in 9th grade we were allowed to wear nice pants.  No jeans were allowed and it was an "experiment" to see how it would work out after Thanksgiving.  However from the very beginning no one wore "nice slacks" and every one wore jeans....hip hugger bell bottoms.

Honored Contributor

@Nomorebirthdays I am a Boomer and I remember walking several miles to school.  I once wore coulottes (sp) those things that came below my knee and and looked like a skirt but were pants.  They were ready to send me home but when they saw how far I had to walk and I was crying, they let me stay!  They were a birthday gift.

Things really have changed!  My granddaughter can't understand why her parents won't let her wear high high heels, the one's with the skinny heels that are around 3" high!  Are you kidding?  She said her friends (9th graders) wear them!  Can't imagine what that is doing to their feet at that young age!

Honored Contributor

I forgot to say one time during a heavy snow, (school was almost NEVER closed) I slipped and went part of the way down the storm drain.  Just my legs went down.  Scared me to death.

When I was in high school we moved and I wanted to stay at my same high school.  I took 3 buses every day to get to school.  Two city schools and one regular school bus.  But I graduated in 3 years.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember wearing dresses to school during the winter, but we also wore pants under our dresses to keep our legs warm plus a pair of tights. 

Edited: I just wanted to add that I graduated in 1971 and finally in my senior year we could wear "dress slacks" no jeans, I usually wore corduroy. Also when I was going to grade school and jr. high school and wore pants under my dress. Those pants had to come off and be hung up in the hall or put into our locker. If it was really cold we could put them on for recess. I think the only color tights I owned were red. Surprisingly red is my favorite color today Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Growing up in Kentucky we had lots of snow days.  If school was cancelled, we still had basketball practice.  The roads would be covered with snow and ice.  I would take a shortcut through our neighbor's field to get to school.  Some of the snow drifts were almost waist high.  It was probably a 4-mile walk, but no way was I going to jeopardize my position by missing practice, and our coach would bench someone for missing practice, no matter the reason.  I wore layers of clothes, but never a dress.  Can't imagine walking through that in a dress!  

Regular Contributor

I had to wear a uniform with knee socks to school for 12 years & walked a mile. My legs were always freezing in the winter. Probably why I rarely wear a dress nowadays LOL.

Honored Contributor

Back when I was in grade school, dresses and skirts only for girls in our public school system, and they had to be a certain length.

We were allowed to wear pants under out dresses to walk to and from school, but they had to be removed once in school. I never remember being allowed to wear the pants while walking, but we had maybe just a mile to walk at the most. 

Playing on the playground in dresses in that cold weather wansn't fun either!

When I started junior high, we were then allowed pants and jeans, but my mom wouldn't let me wear jeans until high school, then they had to be ironed!

Nobody in our town got a school bus unless you lived more than two miles from the school, and there was no public transportation. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

I had to walk to school back in the day. Almost one mile. Pants were not allowed. In all kinds of weather. After 6th grade I could ride the bus. When a senior we could wear pants but not jeans.

We called tights leotards. I was a tom boy and mom would sew the ripped knees. 

Anyone else have to walk to school, up hill, in a foot of snow?

I am starting to sound like my mother telling the grands about the bad old days, "when I  was a kid"

I always walked to school...high school was the furthest, I'm guessing close to 3 miles. I remember winters were so horrible and the weather made it difficult walking all that way at times.  Lots of freezing cold, wet, windy, and snowy days.  Mom would call a taxi for me on bad days🙆   Pants or culottes were not allowed.  Senior year, my best friend and I treated ourselves to days off...cutting school when weather was really bad.  It was fun but nerve wracking.  I didn't get caught but my bestie did:/

That was the end of our "no school for you" days and watching tv all day while raiding the fridge and watching I Love Lucy and game shows!  Back then, those were some fun, carefree days😁