Honored Contributor

Re: WHO DO YOU DRESS TO PLEASE?

I firmly believe that we all dress to send others whatever message we want to send about how we are.  Animals do it, people do it.  The lion has a mane that sends a message, as does a peacock, etc.  The President wears a suit and rock and roll hair bands have hair and lycra.  From Sunday school teachers to drug dealers and gang bangers, most of us have a "look" to identify us.

If you dress to please yourself, that's probably what others see in your appearance--that you don't dress to please most people.  How we adorn ourselves is how we see ourselves, and how we are comfortable appearing to others.  

So I don't think we dress to "please."  We dress to announce to the world and to ourselves who we are, and what we want them to think we are.

Honored Contributor

@Newgate wrote:

We were out with a group of people last night and a discussion came up about who women really dress to please!  One gentleman said that he feels that women dress to please other women because they are the ones who know fashion!  Another person said that we dress according to what fashion magazines say or even what QVC hosts suggest!   One lady bravely admitted that she likes to look attractive to men even though she has been married to the same man for many years!!  I like to keep up with the times but I also want to feel I look proper for my age and body type!!   So I guess I dress for me!  Maybe dh also!!Woman Wink

What do you think?

@Newgate

I stopped being influenced by other females' opinions in junior high school.    I just find it hard to believe that grown women care about what other women think about their wardrobe selections.   JMO

Personally, I always dress to please myself.

Honored Contributor

I've followed fashion since I was about fourteen, when I started junior high.  

I'm creative and I love color.  I totally dress for myself.  I put things together because I enjoy doing that.  I do often get complements, and at times I've been told "you could wear that coat, belt, whatever, but I could never".

My former students as well as customers, now that I'm in retail, often want what I'm wearing.

Valued Contributor

If my husband were to dress me, I would have a closet of navy blue and khaki. That is his comfort level.  For this reason, I clothes shop with my girlfriends.   When we go out with friends, I consider, when I am choosing what I will wear, what my girlfriends will be wearing.   We exchange compliments over things our husbands may not notice. We appreciate, because we know, what it takes to put an outfit together.  For me, it is part of how I bond with my girlfriends. I enjoy acknowledging their efforts as they do mine.  

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Respected Contributor

Me. I am always happy!

Esteemed Contributor

I wear what I like but if hubby doesn't like something I put on (which is rare) I will change and donate it.

I don't go for current fads anymore now that I am retired...I go for Classic look, neat and coordinated.

Honored Contributor

I have always dressed to please me.  I don't follow fashion must haves but if  I like something I will buy and wear it.  I dress casually and kind of eclectic.   I'm the one who has to feel comfortable and happy with myself so I'm all that matters as far as dress goes!  I have watched many women looking and feeling so uncomfortable because they dress for fashion or others and it usually always shows!

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Newgate wrote:

We were out with a group of people last night and a discussion came up about who women really dress to please!  One gentleman said that he feels that women dress to please other women because they are the ones who know fashion!  Another person said that we dress according to what fashion magazines say or even what QVC hosts suggest!   One lady bravely admitted that she likes to look attractive to men even though she has been married to the same man for many years!!  I like to keep up with the times but I also want to feel I look proper for my age and body type!!   So I guess I dress for me!  Maybe dh also!!Woman Wink

What do you think?

@Newgate

I stopped being influenced by other females' opinions in junior high school.    I just find it hard to believe that grown women care about what other women think about their wardrobe selections.   JMO

Personally, I always dress to please myself.

ITA

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

Me -- and right now I'm pretty darned happy in my purple flowered pajamas.

Ever since I started working and buying my own clothes back in the 60's, I bought styles I liked, that suited me, and that I felt comfortable in.  If I got a few compliments along the way, that was icing on the cake.  These days I live in skinny jeans, t-shirts, and sneakers.  It's all about me.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@Sooner

You need to keep peeling the onion. Anthropological imperative aside the bottom line is we ultimately please ourselves regardless of the initial impetus. Self preservation! It's what the species is all about