Esteemed Contributor

@freakygirl wrote:

emmysmom, I truly sympathize with the horrible working conditions your son has to deal with, and realize that you just wanted us to be aware of it, but what are we supposed to do with that information? this country loudly and frequently voices their shock regarding 'sweat shops' abroad, and yet it's happening here in our own backyard.

i had no idea such working conditions existed here until you mentioned it. you don't even hear about it on the news. why is that? i hope someone is disgusted enough to be proactive, and bring this out in the open so that people in government can actually do something to put an end to it. maybe your post will be read by someone who will get the ball rolling. I wish your son would find another job, but that's his decision. I guess all you can do is try to make sure he tries his best to stay healthy. 

Just knowing these conditions exist...maybe it will make a difference. I know I alone can't make a difference..so praying my son will get outta there..thanks for caring! xox

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Respected Contributor

That's terrible.

I figured the trucks weren't air conditioned.  I had no idea the warehouse would be so bad though...

Esteemed Contributor

I am sorry to hear about your son. I hope he recovers soon. Those sound like terrible working conditions. Yesterday, my packages were delivered from UPS at 7:30 PM. I had ordered Philosophy Lemon Custard Shower Gel and Souffle. It was so hot that the souffle had melted around the lid. In fact, some of the souffle was out of the container. So, I understand what you are saying.

Honored Contributor

I'm not belittling what your son is going through but this is a reminder that there are horrible working conditions at many companies. 

Many, many factories and mills do not have air conditioning. In fact I don't know any that do because it would be impossible to cool a building like that.  Many press rooms at newspapers don't have air conditioning.   

My father worked at a local steel mill and I have friends who have worked at our local steel mill and Ford plant as well as a Cleveland newspaper and none of them work in air conditioning. 

I also think about all the people who work outside in not only extreme heat but extreme cold in the winter.  Many of these employees are in a union. 

Not getting sick time and getting points if you are late or call in sick is nothing new.  I know many, many people who work in a company like this.     

Honored Contributor

Re: UPS nightmare

[ Edited ]

@emmysmom wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

@emmysmom - I just had a package delivered last week by UPS and I actually asked the guy if the truck was air-conditioned or whether they just had to rely on having the doors permanently open.  You know the answer I got.

In the past I've made it clear that in the winter (I'm in the Northeast) that I'd rather they delayed delivery of an item, rather than drive in unsafe conditions.  It's never that important to get something on a specific day that I'd want anyone to risk his/her life.

The UPS guys who work around here are really good.  I'm shocked that OSHA doesn't seem to think there's anything wrong with those conditions.

Having said that, like some others here, I've worked for a company that gave you "demerit points", if you called in sick!  They expected you to be there no matter what and there weren't enough benefits to justify it.  And I was in a professional field, so it's endemic, I'm afraid.

I hope your son is okay.  Heat stroke is nothing to mess around with.

What a sweetheart you are!!!!! I have some cold water bottles for my UPS man when he comes today, its really sad these companies take advantage of their employees..I talked to my son this morning and he doesn't want any fuss..its his call..but from now on I will either request Fed Ex or USPS...

I don't know that mail trucks are air conditioned either.  Do you know that the warehouses for Fed Ex are any better?  How about the sorting facilities for USPS? 

At least the drivers get out of the blazing sun.  USPS carriers that have a walking route are trudging through that horrible heat, carrying those heavy bags, without any type of relief.  I'm not sure that's any better.  

Respected Contributor

I imagine it must be horrific for the people that work at the airport on the runways and the baggage areas

Trusted Contributor

With all the advances we have, package delivery still seems so archaic.

Honored Contributor

OP, obviously your son doesn't mind the conditions since he's been there 5 years and sounds like he's there for the long haul. I can't understand why he continues to work there.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

UPS is a huge Teamsters shop.  where are their officials?

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

OP, obviously your son doesn't mind the conditions since he's been there 5 years and sounds like he's there for the long haul. I can't understand why he continues to work there.

Maybe because he needs a job?  Smiley Frustrated

And whatever the reason, it doesn't lessen his mother's concerns about him any more.  Just sayin'.