Esteemed Contributor

This is why I don't wear white pants!

Well, I almost never wear white pants but I made an exception and bought a pair of Jones NY Soho capri jeans on sale. They fit well, are high rise, and don't gap at the waist.

But I feel that white pants turn me into a dirt magnet and the first time I wore these was no exception. How could I get a dirty knee just from driving to Starbucks? Grrrr..

But I figured it out though. It was my steering wheel cover that was causing the dirty knees. It's a foam padded gray microfiber covered one that slips over your regular steering wheel. When I took a clean paper towel and water and rubbed it, brown stains were coming off this cover. So I tried to clean it by hand as I couldn't pull it off the steering wheel as it was tight fitting. I even used Oxi clean and my Olay spin brush to scrub it. Nope, it was dirty as ever. So I cut the foam padded cover off and the foam was totally discolored, likely due to the hot summer sun beating in the window and the stains were leaching through the microfiber cloth. So I threw it out and will look for a new steering wheel cover. Hopefully this solves the dirty knee problem on my jeans!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: This is why I don't wear white pants!

Glad you solved the problem.  I LOVE white jeans, capris and shorts.  Here in Florida they are worn all year.

Honored Contributor

What's life without white jeans?

HUDSON, Custom Chimera Zipper Super Skinny, white, Sale / Women / View All, W4048DIY-WH2

Valued Contributor

The last time I wore white jeans, I was on my way to work, and I wanted a fountain soda. It was a very hot day. I went to the convenience store, and while I was filling the cup, an employee bumped into me while mopping the floor, and there was 32 ounces of diet pepsi all down both of my white denim legs! Real nice look!!!

I went into the restroom, and did the best I could. It dried with a stain, and they went into the garbage that afternoon.

I have not worn white pants/jeans since (that was last summer).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
@TY, @Mtnbikegirl: I recently purchased a pair of white denim crop jeans. ( I haven't worn white pants of any kind in years.) They still have the tags on them, and I'm on the fence about whether or not to return them. I think you both just helped me decide, lol.
~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

For some reason I am not that comfortable wearing white pants.  I guess I am so used to wearing (for the most part) darker colored bottoms, that I am somewhat self-conscious about it.  And one must be careful about the undergarmenets one wears, too.  Also, having seen some people wear white slacks, jeans, etc. that are way too tight, and this is not a good look by any means, I am very leary of revealing too much in a not so good or flattering light!

I have a pair of very flowy linen crop slacks that I have worn a couple of times to work and when I do, I always wear a longer tunic type top over them.  I feel more comfortable this way.

As for white jeans -- I have them, yes, but I seldom wear them.  

And the dirt factor --- you never realize how quickly you are getting dirty until you wear white!!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

I love love love white jeans, crops and capris and wear them all the time. I love the look they give, fresh and youthful. If I could find the pair pictured a few threads down I would own them. I have never had the experience of having to trash a pair of white pants due to staining, but I've had to scrub a few, but it's worth the effort.
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

I bouught a very light, airy white cotton peasant skirt with eyelet trim last summer, and gotta admit, I LOVE it. But white jeans/slacks? Too clingy at 93 degree heat.
Respected Contributor

To me white pants /shorts/skorts/capris/ ARE summer! Just about any color goes nice IMO. Of course the right panties are a must. It does seem that the evil fashion/laundry gods are trying to bring me to their side when I wear them though. Clumsy me and chilli dogs, bbq, ketchup, mustard, mulberries on patio furniture (the worst) car dirt, etc. are the enemy for me!  

I have found that a spritz of bathroom spray bleach on the stain will save it if it is mostly cotton. But of course try first on an area not seen to experiment. Like MaggieMack says scrubbing is sometimes necessary.

Honored Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:
 If I could find the pair pictured a few threads down I would own them.  
@MaggieMack
They're from Hudson.
For $245, they're yours!
http://www.zappos.com/hudson-custom-chimera-zipper-super-skinny-jeans-in-white-2