Honored Contributor

Re: The Myth of Dressing Your Age

@StylishLady

And you're a fabulous 82! !Heart

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA,What is on the cover and what is the date of the magazine.  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

So, just because you read something in a NY magazine it makes it true?

Everyone is looking for a validation for what they want to do and wear.  The bottom line is, wear what you want to, no one will stop you, but don't be surprised if others think you look silly or inappropriate. 

Some people have little or no common sense, a mirror or a best friend who will tell you the truth.

I remember when I was a teen. My friends and I used to cringe when we saw how older people used to try to dress like us.  We all agreed that we would be so embarassed if our mothers or grandmothers dressed like that.

I often am embarassed for ladies who are not dressed age appropriately. 

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is political

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

"Dressing your age" is what others deem "appropriate" for your chronological age, something that's not always visible.

Stay true to your inner self, remain authentic, express your spirit and essence in every way.

Trusted Contributor

Like it or not we are all judged by how we look.  How you present yourself creates a first impression which is difficult, if not impossible, to change.  I do not care how great your shape may be but or that you may look fab from behind.  if you are over 50 and still wearing daisy dukes and low cut tank tops, be prepared for others to snicker the minute you turn around and expose your age. 

I am a firm believer in the saying that just because you can, does not mean you should.  It has served me well my whole life and I am sticking to it.  Of course everyone is free to do as they choose and deal with the consequences.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think dressing should be about age but rather what looks good on you, what you feel comfortable wearing & what doesn't embarass your loved ones!!

I have seen much younger women who are heavy, looking ridiculous in mini skirts! I've seen young mothers with their "girls" hanging out when they pick their kids up from school.They get stared at & the next day their kids get made fun of!!

I don't look anywhere near my age.I like to dress stylishly but tastefully!!  You could look sexy without looking cheap!! I dress for my petite body type. I have my entire adult life. I get compliments all the time. After 36 years of marriage by husband never fails to tell me that I'm the most attractive women in the room! I don't always agree but it's nice that he still feels that way!!

Honored Contributor

There are two words that I really don't like because I have not entirely grasped the true meaning of them when it comes to fashion: AGE APPROPRIATE.

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA, Just to let you know, I couldn't find the article on line, however, they did have this:  Woman Finds Dead Mouse Sewn Into Designer Dress!

Thought you might enjoy a laugh!

Respected Contributor

@NJgirl 1205 wrote:

Like it or not we are all judged by how we look.  How you present yourself creates a first impression which is difficult, if not impossible, to change.  I do not care how great your shape may be but or that you may look fab from behind.  if you are over 50 and still wearing daisy dukes and low cut tank tops, be prepared for others to snicker the minute you turn around and expose your age. 

I am a firm believer in the saying that just because you can, does not mean you should.  It has served me well my whole life and I am sticking to it.  Of course everyone is free to do as they choose and deal with the consequences.

I suppose for some it's like it or not that we are all judged.  For some of us, including myself, it's DON'T CARE!  Before I retired, I was the only person (unfortunately) in the command who could do what I did and believe me, nobody ever hesitated to call me.  If my appearance didn't meet their standard and they chose to laugh behind my back, well then says volumes about them and their shallowness.

Now I'm retired.  Why would I care what people I don't know but merely see in passing think about my appearance?  I like how I look and I'm completely comfortable in my own skin.  For me, a friendly face and a smile speak much louder than attire, make-up and hair style.