Honored Contributor

Re: That is just another fanny pack!

I have several really nice crossbody bags.  They are hands-free and are practical and look lovely, IMO.  I take many weekend trips to NYC to check on my mom, mostly by Amtrak, and I definitely need the ease and function of a crossbody.  A fanny pack would be extremely uncomfortable sitting down with it, not that I would consider a fanny pack in the first place.

Honored Contributor

I think they're fine in a utilitarian application, but as a fashion item; no.

Honored Contributor

I get the practicality of a fanny pack but I find a cross body even more so. To me they're more easily accessible..

I will never, EVER, buy a purse that isn't cross body now that I know  just how useful and easy they are! I will, however, get a bigger one! lol

Esteemed Contributor

I have some cross body bags and here is what I don't like about them.  they often do not stay in place on your shoulder and slide around. If you are wearing a collarless top,the straps move and end up digging into your neck.  If you need to bend forward to pick something up or remove a child from a stroller or car seat they fall away from your body and hang from you in a awkward way dangling In mid-air and practically strangling you in the process.

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

I have some cross body bags and here is what I don't like about them.  they often do not stay in place on your shoulder and slide around. If you are wearing a collarless top,the straps move and end up digging into your neck.  If you need to bend forward to pick something up or remove a child from a stroller or car seat they fall away from your body and hang from you in a awkward way dangling In mid-air and practically strangling you in the process.

@KathyPet

While all those complaints are perfectly logical considering the strap is around your shoulder and neck and the purse is hanging I've never experienced any of this!

Perhaps because mine's relatively small?

Have you tried tightening up the strap?

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

@KathyPet

Not to mention that most cross body bags aren't attractive.   Nevertheless, they are utilitarian, just like suitcases.

Honored Contributor

I don't care for cross body OR fanny pak type bags...but for utilitarian purposes I would use the dreaded fanny pak before a cross body bag. Just my own opinion.
"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

Backpacks(if you have to carry a lot) can be bulky and hot, cross body bags fall forward when you lean over, only fanny packs stay where you want them!!!

Honored Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

Backpacks(if you have to carry a lot) can be bulky and hot, cross body bags fall forward when you lean over, only fanny packs stay where you want them!!!

They may stay, but certainly not where I want them (belly, fanny -- nooooo).  Smiley Happy  

When I wear a crossbody and have to bend over, I simply take that 1 second to place the bag towards the back, not the front.  I've never, ever had a problem with a crossbody bag falling forward.   

Respected Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

They may stay, but certainly not where I want them (belly, fanny -- nooooo).  Smiley Happy  

When I wear a crossbody and have to bend over, I simply take that 1 second to place the bag towards the back, not the front.  I've never, ever had a problem with a crossbody bag falling forward.   

I wear small crossbodies all the time, and this is what I do as well.