Regular Contributor
I heard on tv this am that Target is planning on firing a few thousand workers in order to boost on line sales.What is wrong with this picture? These workers are for the most part part-time employees who must pay for their medical insurance and am sure are working pay check to pay check. Not everyone likes to shop on line especially the elderly and how about trying to find an employee when we do need assistance in the store. Right now you sometimes have to search for an employee.I feel for these workers because many of them probably lost their high paying jobs due to the financial disaster or out sourcing. We need to rethink. People are important
Honored Contributor

I never like to hear that people are losing their jobs.

Honored Contributor
There are a LOT of things that need rethinking. I have come to intensely dislike malls for instance. In my area they have replaced towns, without the socializing influences of churches, schools, libraries, and court houses. To me they are like communities of greed. Our LOCAL community stores (now completely gone) were a totally different experience. There are things I like about our local Target, but I have to go to a mall to use it, and once there it just becomes a part of the vast anonymous megolith of buybuybuy. Showing my age, I know.
Super Contributor

I love Target. I am sorry to hear this. That isn't a logical reason why they are letting people go, how does that help online sales, I don't understand that. I prefer to shop at Target anytime vs. Walmart. Walmart is so big and dirty. I only go there when it's necessary which isn't often.

Honored Contributor
I like the experience of shopping at the Target store, as opposed to their website. This is a shame. As with everything else in this economy, it's not about people, but rather, all about the bottom line.
~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

I spent 20 hours a week in Target stores from Nov. thru Feb. selling and advising people about individual health insurance plans. I worked in city, suburban and a country store, so I saw a LOT of different people and areas.

The volume of customers fell off SHARPLY after Christmas...like it does in all retail stores.

I passed out lip balm as part of my job to get people to our kiosk. I went from 3-4 bags each 6 hour shift - that's 450-600 lip balms...to half a bag or so.

I think it's seasonal more than anything else.

That being said - I wanted to buy a 4x5 ft. rug I saw in the store. The store only had one color - online there were 6 choices. I had to get it online.

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry to read this...I like Target...there was a time when I went into my local Target and there were employees everywhere...there was always someone asking if they can help you find something...or direct you to what you were looking for...always friendly...now...I am hard pressed to find anyone working on their floor....except the registers...

I can't imagine my store cutting back any further....

Trusted Contributor
Businesses are in business to make money. Yes, it is awful so many people will lose their job, but Target needs to make money. If they don't, everyone loses their job.
Respected Contributor

The article I read about Target layoffs yesterday said Target expanded into Canada which they lost a lot of money on and now need to tighten their belt so to speak.

Honored Contributor

I just heard on CNBC that the cuts are in their corporate offices - and in India.

NOT staff in local stores.