Respected Contributor

Just for discussion, I find that I spend more money on adding to my fall/winter wardrobe than spring/summer.

I believe the fall clothing can be worn into the winter and sometimes into the spring but if I spend money on spring clothing, generally I need both a spring wardrobe and summer wardrobe just due to the variation of temps.

You too?

Honored Contributor

Re: Spending $$$ and the Season

We have four equal seasons here. I have some transitional things but I need clothing specific to the season or I roast or freeze. Our winter ave. is about 45 degrees and summer is about 85 degrees. I might add that you can't get approved for a house loan with a heat pump without a backup source of heat.

Respected Contributor

I'm lucky that our 4 seasons are winter, hot, hotter, and blistering hot! I've slowly learned to pair all my summer tops with long sleeve tees and can wear them year round. I have to keep the sweater collection to a minimum and I think I own 4. I bought one DB and get to wear it about 10x a year (but it's FABULOUS when I do get to wear it).

Honored Contributor

On 2/9/2014 Rock_chick said:

I'm lucky that our 4 seasons are winter, hot, hotter, and blistering hot! I've slowly learned to pair all my summer tops with long sleeve tees and can wear them year round. I have to keep the sweater collection to a minimum and I think I own 4. I bought one DB and get to wear it about 10x a year (but it's FABULOUS when I do get to wear it).

Holy mackerel....!!!!!........I live in PHX, and it's the same here...........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

My clothing is based on school "seasons" and what kind of duty I have (indoor/outdoor, a.m. or p.m.). My room is cold- about 64 degrees year round. I usually wear a jacket or cardi over everything, regardless of the season. The time between the start of school and September I usually wear dresses everyday (or skirts) with bare legs and sandals. Sometimes I can make it through October before I need to transition to pants. From October through December I wear chinos or dresses with tights and boots. When we come back from the holiday break, I usually wear corduroy jeans until March (or sometimes April). Then I'm back in bare legs with dresses and skirts. My summer wardrobe is very casual. I get dressed and go to the gym, come back and shower, and put on the next day's exercise clothes (or crop pants/skirts). I find that it's hard to get out every day in the summer (except to the gym) without spending money (gas for the car, going out to lunch, seeing movies, etc.). Several years ago, when I floated between classrooms, I found that jackets were more practical than sweaters because there would be about a 25 degree difference between some of the rooms.

Respected Contributor

On 2/9/2014 Rock_chick said:

I'm with you (literally; I live in Texas, too, although in North TX). Cold is really cold here, but it doesn't last long.

Spring is my favorite time of year for shopping. What I buy now can be worn most of the year.

Honored Contributor

I live in perpetual summer. For my life a few pairs of long pants and a couple neutral color sweaters to pop over my summer shirts serves me well. When we moved to florida I donated almost all our winter clothes - and then did that again when we had been here a couple years. Now our entire winter wardrobe for two of us fits into one cedar chest with room to spare, including winter coats. just in case we would ever go to Pa in the winter for some reason.
Super Contributor

I live in a four season climate but basically dress for two - I wear the same stuff fall, winter and spring with the exception of clogs in spring and fall and boots in winter and the same 3/4 sleeve basic tops but in different colors for spring and fall than winter and then I have summer clothes.

Honored Contributor

I think I've probably spent about the same amount in the past. I live in a warm climate so I don't need winter coats though I usually get a sweater or two. Most of my clothes can be worn year round.

Super Contributor

I think I probably spend about the same for just Winter clothing as I do for the other three seasons combined.

Winter outerwear is expensive and I need several styles for different occasions. And, just about every winter I need to replace one of the coats - and one pair of the boots. In fact, after the snow this winter, I might have to replace two pairs next year.

The rest of my clothing is basically three-season wear ... layering when necessary. I have lots of jackets and "spring coats" and scarves.