Respected Contributor

Re: Something I miss Now that I live in Florida

@ECBG

That is lovely! Where is it?

Honored Contributor

I never had multiple closets that I completely changed with the season but I think (it has been decades!) I kept out of season clothes in a different part of the closet - right side for out of season, left side for in season, etc.

I moved to Florida early in the fall & recall mourning the fact that I would not be buying or wearing any beautiful, warm, winter sweaters. I still kind of miss that every year. If I still lived up north there would be tall leather boots in my wardrobe, very cool jackets, coats, and scarves to keep me warm instead of just for fashion. 

I love living in Florida and have no desire to move back. In my money-is-no-object dreams I would probably spend October & November up north so I could see the fall colors and a bit of snow. It would be enough time to get my fill of the seasons I miss and get to wear things I have no need of down here.

Honored Contributor

@gmkb wrote:

@songbird wrote:

I'd rather die then live in Florida in the summer.  The whole point is to leave Florida in the summer. 

There was a time that I would probably agree with you.  What I have found is that as time has gone by, the body acclimated to the heat.  It no longer seems as oppressive as it once did.  Just like northern folks adjust to bitter winter temps and conditions, we eventually adjust also.  Of course, pools and a/c help.

Yes, we all become acclimated to the climate we live in. The heat & humidity of a typical Florida summer will feel very different to a first-time visiter who lives up north than to those of us who have lived here for years.

Honored Contributor

@151949 -BTW, I am also from PA originally, and autumn there is so breathtaking...I always miss being there to see the colors change.

Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@151949 -BTW, I am also from PA originally, and autumn there is so breathtaking...I always miss being there to see the colors change.

Yes, we get to experience the best of all - summer and early fall in rural Pa. then back to Florida for all the cold months. I wonder how long we will be able to continue to do this, but while we can we are really enjoying it.We plan to end up in Florida when we can no longer snowbird.

Respected Contributor

I live in North Florida and we have a change of seasons here. It gets cold in December, January and February. Sometimes we have several freezes in a winter season. During the evening and night it sometimes gets into the 30's and higher 20's. I will not move any further south because I don't like summer all year long either although I like the casual lifestyle of Florida. 

Honored Contributor

@conlt  When we used to travel back & forth to Florida in our camper we would stop in a campground right over the Fl/Ga border in Stark,Fl. There were many campers there who wintered there every year because they liked the change of seasons - the very short winter etc. I guess that would be nice but I would definitely want to spend those cold months in a house and not a camper. I get too cold just in the short amount of time we spend here in Pa in the fall.I prefer the tropical feel of southern Florida.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

On my opening page of my computer I have the weather in Sarasota and Pittsburgh -- today Sarasota is going to be 92 with a dewpoint of 84 and Pittsburgh will be 90 with a dewpoint of 88. So I really do not get why people think that Florida is so much more unbearable than the rest of the country in the summer. I seriously doubt that anyone can actually feel that 2 degree difference. And this is not a fluke - we frequently see very similar summer temps - esp. because Sarasota is right on the coast and gets the advantage of the ocean breeze.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 - It is the combination of heat & humidity that can make Florida summers especially uncomfortable for many, especially those not aclimated. This is more inland than on the coast. I can go to the beach and not even need AC on. The sea breeze really makes a big difference in the comfort level.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

On my opening page of my computer I have the weather in Sarasota and Pittsburgh -- today Sarasota is going to be 92 with a dewpoint of 84 and Pittsburgh will be 90 with a dewpoint of 88. So I really do not get why people think that Florida is so much more unbearable than the rest of the country in the summer. I seriously doubt that anyone can actually feel that 2 degree difference. And this is not a fluke - we frequently see very similar summer tewmps - esp. because Sarasota is right on the coast and gets the advantage of the ocean breeze.

because typically in the North East  we knowa stretch of  HHH is going to end  with a change . this summer that has not been true as we have run our AC for the full month of July and 1/2 of August.  Most of June was on the cool side.

This summer has been brutal but having been in FL, on the east coast in late June and July i found Florida heat is completely oppressive.