Super Contributor

Re: So, my d&co pull-on pants are frumpy, dumpy old lady pants....

On 12/29/2014 MJ 12 said:
On 12/29/2014 moonchilde said:
On 12/29/2014 house_cat said:
On 12/29/2014 happy housewife said:

IMO - this thread was started to incite a fight. Yawn.

No, it wasn't, unless you want to start one. It was started to make a point.

I haven't been participating in the fashion forum the last few months, primarily because of antagonistic posters who want to turn every thread into an ugly hate-fest. It's too bad that we can't have conversations without "inciting fights".

I certainly didn't view it as an antagonistic OP - rather the contrary. But as usual, at least one poster has already jumped in trying to turn it that way.

Totally agree. It was absolutely not an antagonistic OP.

I don't think the OP meant to be antagonistic in any way, but using the term 'old lady' might be construed as offensive to some, especially since it seems to be used so much in these forums. Old lady perfume, old lady this, old lady that. Personally I'm getting tired of hearing that term.

Honored Contributor

I understand your point, gardensla. Certainly they are more stylish when you don't have to consider comfort and practicality. Some of us, though, have rewarding careers that require comfort shoes. We are caretakers or do charity work that requires practical clothing. There's beauty in that no matter what we're wearing.
~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

There's really no room to argue here. You choose what you like and what you are comfy in.

Personally I love a pull on pant. Why stuff yourself into something to prove a point? The D&C pants are comfortable, non binding and IMHO look far better than jeans most of the time. They are perfect with tops that you leave out - no pocket lines or bulges from buttons. If you want a neater look you can iron in a crease.

I have to add, though, that the fabric content just isn't what it used to be. I have several pairs of older styles, and they are of a much better looking, laundering fabric. Too bad the quality of so many things has gone down. I miss the quality that I used to get in Motto, Sport Savvy, Jessica Holbrook, etc.

Respected Contributor

QVC has always, as far back as I can remember and that's 30 years, offered a lot of elastic waist pants with roomy middles sections because QVC's core customer is the older woman. Nothing has changed. The other thing that hasn't changed....we all have different body concerns. I'm a larger woman, I wear an 18 pants now but I cannot and have never (even when I was much larger) been able to wear QVC's elastic waist pants. There's just too much fabric in the tummy section. Too "poofy" and the thighs are often too loose too. And I do not have thin thighs. I only buy pants that zip and button because I get a better fit but I do like pants that fall an inch above my belly button. Pants that hover somewhere below my belly button are uncomfortable and not very flattering on me.

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/29/2014 house_cat said: I understand your point, gardensla. Certainly they are more stylish when you don't have to consider comfort and practicality. Some of us, though, have rewarding careers that require comfort shoes. We are caretakers or do charity work that requires practical clothing. There's beauty in that no matter what we're wearing.

I volunteer several nights a week at a shelter for women and I could not care less what I have on, so I get you here. In no way am I slamming those who dress for utility. But this was not the point of your original post. My point was in support of your original post--that these kinds of pants can be made to look awesome if one chooses to see them as a blank canvas and adds their own sense of style.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Esteemed Contributor

On 12/29/2014 Kathleen said:

They only look that way on frumpy dumpy bodies. On me ... they look absolutely fabulous!

Good point.
Super Contributor

I love my blair pants and my haband pants..I am for comfort.

When Q starts selling pants that are comfortable and stylish

then I will buy them..I refuse to buy denim and co. pants

or their capris..because I like to do be able to breath

normally in them. They are too form-fitting for my taste.

Esteemed Contributor

It seems that QVC has turned D&C into the casual line to pick up the slack left by Sport Savvy. I don't care for toddler pants.

Honored Contributor

I have a number of pairs of d&c pull on pants and like them alot. Don't care what some call them, it won't impact my decision to continue wearing or buying them.
Honored Contributor

On 12/29/2014 gardensla said:
On 12/29/2014 house_cat said: I understand your point, gardensla. Certainly they are more stylish when you don't have to consider comfort and practicality. Some of us, though, have rewarding careers that require comfort shoes. We are caretakers or do charity work that requires practical clothing. There's beauty in that no matter what we're wearing.

I volunteer several nights a week at a shelter for women and I could not care less what I have on, so I get you here. In no way am I slamming those who dress for utility. But this was not the point of your original post. My point was in support of your original post--that these kinds of pants can be made to look awesome if one chooses to see them as a blank canvas and adds their own sense of style.

I know, gardensla. I have no doubt that you are a classy, compassionate woman. That is clear from knowing you on these boards for many years. I guess I'm a bit defensive because I know I have compromised style for comfort these last few years. There are some women on the boards who, for whatever reason - age or life circumstances - cannot imagine ever having to consider anything besides style. They say they would "never" wear this or that. Well, I hope they never have to make those compromises, but for some of us that's not the case.

~ house cat ~