Honored Contributor

Shopoholics ODAT Wednesday 11/11/15

postcard-thankyouveterans.jpg

Good morning shopping friends. Hope we are all doing well this Veteran's Day. Have many Veterans in my family as well as active duty, as I'm sure most of us do.

We are expecting severe storms this afternoon, possible tornados also. I am getting out this morning to get some errands done and hope to be back home before noon. My dog hates and fears storms. Not much else going on for me today. Waves to everyone.....

"To each their own, in all things".
Valued Contributor

Re: Shopoholics ODAT Wednesday 11/11/15

Hi Snicks, Thanks for starting the thread. Also many thanks to all who have served our country. I hope you'll be done with errands before it storms, so you can keep your furbaby calm. Two of our kitties hate storms, mainly thunder, but it's hard when you can't make them understand it won't hurt them.

Twinny, Thinking of you, and praying you'll find the right solution for your mom, as well as for you and your family.

Hello to everyone who'll post later.I have no plans to go out today. It's good, as all the changing of temps back and forth are making me really sore with the fibro. Can't say I'm feeling too energetic anyway so I'm glad to be home. Supper is done, as I made a huge pot of soup, and there are rolls I can do easily to go with it.

I may work on drying more oranges to add to those I did last year for decorations. Hopefully I can make a garland with them, or add them to the one I bought. It's got open space between the pinecones and  greens, so I may be able to get them attached. I'll use them somehow, as I really like the way they look and smell when dried. Hope everyone has a good day, whatever you've got planned. pinky

Valued Contributor

Good morning!
To all the Vetrans and their families, thank you for you service.

Sunny and warm here.  At work, but pretty quiet, I am hoping people think since the banks are closed so are we.

I am going to a Holiday Bazaar on Saturday, plan on 100% finishing Christmas shopping there!

I am going way next weekend to a Wine Festival at Poplar Forest(Thomas Jeffersons' home) I am so looking forward to this, I bought A269624 in Camel to wear as it is outside, there are tents set up but still outside in November.  I  love the sweater and will wear with slim leg jeans and boots, it is a lot of sweater but I am tall so I really like the way it fits.

No more shopping for me. 

I hope that everyone is well.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Morning and Happy Veteran's Day!   Thanks for getting us started snicks, and "decorating" our thread with that important message.  I do hope the storms are not as bad as predicted, and you stay safe.  We had a Veteran's Day celebration at the senior lunch program yesterday, and it was very nice.  They brought over people from the club, some of whom were veterans, and all the veterans received a little token gift.  We also served mini cupcakes that I had decorated with small flags.

Sorry you aren't feeling well and dealing with fibro pinky ann.  Those oranges sound great.  Homemade decorations are so nice.

I am adding my best wishes and prayers for twinny.  Such a difficult situation.

Waves to Jean, Kathleen, Arlene, Susan, LindaR, Bernie, Marijane, Karen, Charlene, Barbara (hope your infusion helps a lot), Rosa, and all of our posters and readers.

I decided not to take DH for a walk this morning since yesterday turned out very difficult.  Hoping he will feel stronger after the "club".  He did okay at the gym yesterday afternoon, so maybe it is a time of the day thing.  He is sleeping better at night which is a big blessing for me.

It has turned much cooler here, and we may have a record cold night here -- in the 30's, I think.  I will try to find DH some new slippers since his old ones seem too small, and he is starting to feel cold.

No big plans for me today, but I'm sure I'll find plenty to do.

Have a nice day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

ETA  -- That wine festival sounds great, Rosa.  And, I hope you enjoy the holiday bazaar.  There is one at my church and a craft festival here this weekend, so I may visit them.  I'm sure that sweater looks great on you.  

Respected Contributor

Smicks. I love the graphic. Day to honor and remember.

So glad that Kate did well.

It's overcast here today again. Expecting a chance of rain.

I see the gift frenzy is on overdrive. Buy multiples as gifts.

Kathleen. It seems like yesterday your DD revealed her intentions. Now she is on her path!!! Hugs. Hope you are feeling better. You have to be well to soak up all the events at the ball. And of course a roomful of Marines in dress blues---oh my!!!!!!
Trusted Contributor

Hi friends, I've had a busy week and am behind in checking in with you.  LindaL - glad to hear that your DH liked his caregiver.  My parents did a lot of traveling when they were first retired, and that was a good thing, because later on my Dad was unable to travel.  they had those memories.  Marijane - my DH was also a Marine, and I got to wish him a happy 240th birthday yesterday.  Yes, they are always a Marine.  Snicks & Genny sorry that your DH's aren't wanting to be more active or adventurous.  Would they be alright with you doing things with a sister or friend?  Rockchick  - hope you're feeling well before you leave, and that you have a good time on your trip.  Susan - Congrats on your rescue dog Katie.  Hope the two of you get along great!  Arlene - had to chuckle at your recounting not wanting to move because you're pinned down by pets.  I've actually lost sleep at night because I don't want to roll over and disturb the cat.  (Seriously???, the cat sleeps all day long - I should be able to get some sleep at night!!!).  Hope the pet drama with Angelica gets taken care of.  Pinkyann - Interesting you mentioned about trying to get scarves to look right.  I always liked the idea of scarves but found them awkward to wear.  Then I bought my first Isaac Mizrahi scarf and found that it was the right lenght/width/weight for me.  Who knew that finding the right type of scarf could make it so much easier?

Our heater finally kicked on for the first time this fall.  Glad it's cooler.  My DS was home from college all day Friday and Saturday, so I spent time with him.  He even helped clean out goat pens, and with a delivery of hay we got.  My DH was busy repairing a huge section of chain link fence.  The goats rub along the fence and over time, the fence ties get broken.  One of our goats was able to squeeze out underneath the loose section of fence and escape.  We got her back, but the fence needed fixing.  

After church on Sunday my DH and I went to the shelter yet again to see if there was a dog there that seemed right for us, and yep - we found ourselves a new dog.  Ours isn't an older dog like Susan's (bless you), she's a puppy.  She is black, and is half Labrador, and what appears to be Spaniel.  We got to bring her home yesterday after she got spayed.  One of the workers at the shelter said that she had been thinking about naming the puppy Harper, and the name stuck with me.  So, we are now the owners of a little mutt named Harper.  

My DD at college received the Harry London chocolates that I ordered for her when it was a TSV.  She said that she had been complaining about all the early Christmas stuff being sold, but when she got the chocolates she got all excited and her roommates were laughing with her.  I don't know if I had mentioned this, but when she first moved there, it was her and 2 fellow vet students.  All young ladies.  Well, this year, the roommates got engaged to their boyfriends, and then the 2 fiances moved into their house.  Humph... I know that one of the guys is helping with expenses, but I don't know if the other is.  My DD doesn't mind, but as a mother, I would prefer her to be living in a house with 2 other girls, not 2 girls and 2 guys.  I'm a bit old-fashioned that way.  

In an hour my DH and I are going to an estate sale of our pastor's mother-in-law.  She was a sweetheart, and they're opening up the sale for her friends before it's being opened to the public.  My DH was her handyman for 10 years and knew her very well.  Other than that - my day will be filled with regular chores and taking care of little Harper.  Hope you all have a nice Veteran's Day!   ~   Charlene

Respected Contributor

Hello friends!  Wow yesterday was busy! Sorry I didn't explain - I left the rv at 5:20am and drove to "Country home".  I got a lot done, picked up, cleaned up, put out a handful of Christmas decorations, met my missionary friends and hung out for a while, ran some errands and headed back to "city home".  Got here about 7:30 last night.

It was good though, I got a lot done.   Today I need to run out and get a handful of things.  I am going to the "Nutcracker Market" tomorrow, at the Houston Texans stadium.  I'm not sure what it is but going with a Navy Mom friend (her daughter is the one who got sent home the last week of boot camp due to health issues) and then Friday going again with my church group. 

So I've got to pick up something for the crock pot.

Thank you to all our veterans - past and present. 

Respected Contributor

Charleen, how fun!!  I am jealous!  Funny about your daughter - I would feel the same way about the living situation.  It's hard enough with roommates!  Harper is a cute name!

My trip - it's just over the weekend.  The ball is Sunday night and we fly back Monday.

Respected Contributor

Oh Harper!!!! What a cutie. I had a belover Springer for 12 years. He was a rescue. It was apparent he had been abused. He was the best. Still miss my "boyfriend'".
Valued Contributor

Charlene, Congratulations on little Harper. What an adorable name! You are right on the money about the right width and length of scarves. I have one from the Q, it's a Precious Fibers one I've had for years. It took no effort to make it look nice. I was sure I'd figure the others out too because of how easy that one was. It just didn't happen...

Hi to Linda, Rosa, LindaR, Kathleen, and anyone else I didn't get to write to individually. The oranges have been in the oven almost two hours, with two more to go. I brought in two small trees that we used to use near the fireplace. I want to try again to use some of the branches from them, especially around my Santa's or on the mantle.I looked at them once a few weeks back, and just was unsure if they were worth fooling with or not. I don't have strong hands, so if it's too tough cutting the branches, I'll ask DS to try when he's here for supper this weekend. It's almost time to flip my oranges, so I'd better stop my yakking and get to it! lol pinky