Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time - Sunday, July 15th

Good afternoon shopping friends, I just got finished moving that wretched freezer from the furnace room into the main room of the basement.  Super sliders under it were not all that helpful Woman Wink  The area was really tight in the path in between the closet and washer/dryer, so I wanted to make sure I had that area cleared so whatever the moving guys do should go smoother.

The stairs have enough clearance on each side, however I need to remove the door at the top of the stairs off it it's hinges.  

How's your day going?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time - Sunday, July 15th

Bernie--Yondu will be celebrating once the freezer, safe and concrete are out of your sight. How are you rewarding youeself?

I just got back from the cuty. A friend and I made a last minute  decision to go to the city, have lunch and then do WalMart as she needed some things.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KonaKat  I guess it's just you and me today Jean Woman Very Happy  Did you have a good time in the city?  Sometimes it's nice to just get out.  

I can afford the cost to rent the tool and pay the junk guys to haul out the concrete and the safe/freezer.  Bless 'em because no matter how hard I pushed against that safe inside of the freezer, I couldn't get it to budge, even a smidge.  For all I know, husband put a layer of concrete down and then set the safe on it - kind of like securing one's dentures with dentu cream. 

I decided, in the spirit of getting rid of stuff, to go through my jewelry - what little gold I have and all of the silver.  I have some yellow gold from years ago that I haven't worn in years.  I also have silver (I know I won't get alot) that I might have worn more when I worked but really can't see me wearing now.

I'm going to go with US gold buyers for the straight up gold and silver.  I do have a ring that I bought myself after husband died because it was on sale and had 7 nice sized diamonds in it (he was in my life 7 years).  That one I'm going to see a local jeweler about.  I also feel okay selling the two gold bands that I bought him and have worn on my right hand middle finger since the night I took them off of him before they closed the casket.

He's cremated - so the jewelry didn't go with him.  I'm keeping my wedding band because I continue to wear it.  My Ma said I was old fashioned that way - this from a woman who also wore hers after my Dad died.

I have no children, am not that close to my nieces and my sister hasn't really been into jewelry much, short of earrings.  I feel confident that by the time I sell all of this, I will recoup what it's cost to get rid of the safe/freezer.

Now, the freezer contents have to be sold.  Husband had a license to carry and like many of his generation, had an appreciation for firearms. I feel pretty confident I'm going to make money off of the collection that I have, especially since I have all of the paperwork and sales receipts.  He kept good records and what was required to be registered has been registered - I have the records for that.  

My sister dealt with the particular shop owner I will be using.  My mother found herself in the same boat as me when my father died.  I told my sister, after all I've been through with this flippen safe, what I choose to do with the money is my choice.  So when I give you some of the proceeds I don't want any lip about it. Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening.  That freezer project has certainly been a challenge, Bernie.  Glad you were able to move it, but sorry the sliders were not that much help.  Sometimes those things are the greatest, but other times not so much.

Sounds like you had a nice trip to the city, Jean.  Good that you and your friend could have lunch, etc.

My day has been pretty busy, and I have lots more on my "to do" list.  I may end up doing some tomorrow. 

DH was very active and alert on Thursday and Friday.  That was good in many ways, but a bit frightening when he kept wanting to get up out of the wheelchair or bed.  His DD arrived Friday afternoon, and we were both surprised at his activity.  Then yesterday, he was extremely sleepy -- almost the opposite of the two previous days.  We went this morning and he was pretty sleepy again.  But, the night caregiver said that he did get up a couple of times last night, and she was concerned that he was trying to get out of bed again.  I plan to contact the hospice nurse first thing tomorrow about that and a couple of other issues.

I got his DD up to the airport and came home to go to the gym.  I still have laundry to do plus my weekly financial review.  And, I plan to visit DH again later.  Pretty sure ironing will wait until tomorrow.

We are having another cloudy and cooler than normal day with off and on rain.  We certainly can use the rain.  

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bernie--I laughed out loud (rare for me) when I read you guessing about your husband possbly securing the safe in cement like people do when securing dentures with denture cream. That is such a visual image!

Linda--I'm glad that you and DH's DD had a good visit with DH but regret that he was sleepy. The report of him trying to get out of bed without an aide is not good. You are correct in pursuing what can be done.

Yes, it was good to get out., We reallyy don't have many options in this small town so a drive to the city may be considered long by some but we are used to it. I have a heavy foot but know all the curves so I know when and where to proceed more slowly. WalMart may not be exciting to some but when the two Dollar Stores are the only shopping option for clothes, gadgets, etc plus the one supermarket, a huge Super WalMart is a real perk.

I got in my 30 minutes of exercise this morning and I really should get in another 30 minutes, but I'm not overly motivated right now.

It has been over a month since I have bought any clothing.  It used to be like Christmas to see packages arrive to be opened. I just don't have that thrill any more.  You mentioned jewelry; I have more than enough. If I lose some weight (big time), I might reward myself but right now, nothing appeals to me enough to order.

I guess my buying now will be household needs like the LED light bulbs I bought today to have ready to replace current bulbs when they go, or before they go. Their life is supposed to be up to 9 years when burned 3 hours a day.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Hi Linda @LindaLatte  I'm glad DH's daughter had a nice visit with her dad when he was active.  It sounds like he tired himself out with all that activity.  The part about him trying to get up and move without help is worrisome.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Jean @KonaKat  I know it sounded funny, for the life of me I don't know why that safe won't move, even just a smidge.  I threw all of my weight at it and nothin'.  I couldn't even get it to wobble.

Here's all of the concrete I pulled out the freezer.  I put my snow joe shovel next to it for some kind of comparison.  

IMG_1700 (300x225).jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Bird Mama, It sounds like you are getting done with the safe project.  I hope that you treat yourself to something fun to remember this experience.  Good wishes coming your way when it comes to selling little used jewelry and guns etc.

Jean, making a trip to another city is necessary since you have such limited places to shop. I hope that you had an enjoyable day.

Linda L. I am glad that your DH's DD was able to see her dad.  It is concerning when he tries to get out of his wheelchair.  A difficult situation when he could fall out.

It is another hot day, but relief will be here on Tuesday.  Yesterday I didn't walk because it was drizzly & rainy most of the day.  We got 4 1/2" of rain between Friday night and yesterday morning.

We went to church and then had a nice lunch out.  I was tired this afternoon and just woke up from a two hour nap.  Aaah!  I feel like a new woman.

My DH is mowing the lawn.  It was getting long because he hadn't been able to mow for over a week.   He picked up lots of branches yesterday from Friday night's storm.  We were very lucky because a nearby campground had 10 trailers tip over & just a broken arm.  The rest of the trailers were unoccupied.  They are saying showers this afternoon, evening and tomorrow morning.  Then a nice stretch of 70's without any ☔☔☔.

Hugs to all of you.

Honored Contributor

@twinny70  We didn't get any rain over here.  Maybe it petered out before it hit my part of the state.

I'm in the green part of MI shown below

Image result for se michigan

Esteemed Contributor

Having a lovely day and getting a bit of much-needed precip in the Piedmont of VA.  Worked in the garden with DH and caught up with my good friend next door.  It is lovely to have a friend so close by.

Pleasant dreams.

Cogito ergo sum