Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time - Monday, July 18th

Good Morning, I'm back to work after a 3 day weekend and am getting ready to request another vacation day for this Friday :-)

I have weeks of vacation time and find that frequent 3-day weekends keep me on an even keel and still allow me to attend the workgroup meetings on my calendar.  I don't have a back up so if I don't go to a meeting.....

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time - Monday, July 18th

Good morning all and thanks @Bird mama, for the start. Good idea to do 4 day work weeks when you can. It always made my day to have a day off, or even get to leave work early sometimes, although I was usually still on call, ugh. lol.

I'm having a hard time getting started on doing anything too strenous today, just don't have much pep. Need to start the 4 day process of getting all my carpeting shampoo-ed. I hate doing it, but love the results.

I have laundry going and have taken care of the pool, that's about as far as I have gotten this morning.

Hope everyone has a good day. Waves...

"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

Morning, Thanx @Bird mama for the start, I'm all for the 3 day week-end, good way to use up vacay time, & the week goes by faster.

@Snicks1, I know the feeling, some days are just blah, but we do get things done         eventually  lol

Have an eye doctor appt this afternoon, annual check up & as I have my drivers test in Sept, need a form for the eye test, when I had cataract (sp) surgery, I did the  mono vision, so I can't pass the eye test at the DMV, don't know why, but they have a form I can take with me to eliminate the test there, just simplifies things.  Other than that not much here, weather is heating up again so ComEd is happy

Wishing all a pleasant day

Essie

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bernie--Thank you for starting the thread. I would like four day workweeks; it seems that 2 days for the weekend is just not enough to get things done. I thought of you when I saw the TSV.

Snicks--Good luck on getting the motivation for all that carpet cleaning.  I'm sure that you will get it done.

Essie--I hope your eye appointment goes well. It is good that this can be used for the DMV. I also hope the annual checkup goes well.

We are having horrible storms. The wind just blew some of my furniture  clear across the deck, and the sky is very dark;  a very heavy rain has just started and the cable is starting to act up.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon, and thanks for getting us started, Bernie.  Good idea about making your weekends longer by taking days off.  I used to have a long weekend at least once a month by taking off a Friday (usually) if we did not have a holiday that month.  I got started because there are a lot of Monday holidays, but some months don't have them.  I had tons of leave, so no problem.  But like you, I needed to be there for some meetings, etc.  We had a program where we could donate leave to someone else, which was better than "throwing it away" so to speak.  I just heard a report on the radio this morning about how many American workers don't take their vacation days, but should do so for their health.  Like Jean, I thought of you when I saw the TSV shoes.

Sorry you aren't too peppy this morning, snicks.  But, it sounds like you are doing pretty well with your chores.  Good luck with the carpet cleaning.  

Hope your eye doctor appointment goes well, Essie.  I have "lazy eye" so I have always had the dreaded "mono vision".  I have needed to take those forms to the eye doctor for many years.  Fingers crossed they continue to allow that at the DMV, since I would not like being unable to drive any time soon.  I imagine that will happen some day, but not driving makes life pretty complicated.

Sorry about your horrible storms, Jean.  Hope you stay safe.

Waves to Kathleen, Arlene, twinny, Susan, Marijane, Charlene, Rosa, Barbara, meallen, Gayle, Karen, pinky ann, LindaR, and all of our posters and readers.

DH did not sleep well again last night, and wet the bed again this morning.  According to my Fitbit, I got slightly more sleep 5 1/2 hours, but I had a headache this morning (lack of sleep).  DH will be going to the "club" this morning, and I need to pick him up to go to the podiatrist in the middle of the day.  My plan is to take him back to the "club" so I can get some things done.  Like go to the Post Office, take a few boxes back to the storage room to make way for DH's DD who is coming for her visit this Wednesday, etc.  

Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Honored Contributor

Jean, the TSV is cute however I won't be ordering it.  The heel is too stiletto looking to me, considering the height of the heel.  I'm more graceful in a high heel when the heel has more oopmh to it, lol.

I need to find a new opthamologist.  I was just thinking about that this morning.  My last good and accurate eye exam was in 2006 (I know, I know).  I went back to the same opthalmologist in 2009 and it was a nightmare.

I think the guy was going through change of life or something.  His people did a sloppy exam, he kept pushing me to go progessional when it came to the bifocals, even though we've tried it twice and I nearly killed myself on stairs and bumped into walls.  I like a normal old bi-focal. 

I kept telling him, I don't have your vanity concerns - just give me glasses that will allow me to see.  The prescription I ended up with was all wrong, just one hot mess.

Trusted Contributor

Good morning ladies -- we've a really warm week ahead, so expect storms - grrrrrr.

I wish my husband would go to 3-day weekends.  He always seems to have a telecon, visitors, meeting, the list goes on and on.

I've figured out dinner tonight and that's about it.  Trying to get up my energy to workout.  Have the air on already, so that will help.

Sorry to hear about the eye issues you gals are having.  So far, so good for me.  I do have progressives, but I don't wear glasses, except to read.  My prescription is optional, but I was on the line with reading at the DMV, so didn't want to take a chance.

Sorry you can't get a good sleep at night, due to DH issues.  That really has to be stressful and a strain on your energy level.  Hopefully, a good night's sleep is in the near future.

I haven't seen anything on the fashion lineup that is interesting to me.  Won't have to worry about my purchasing - yay!

Have a great day gals!

Trusted Contributor

Hi everyone!  Jean - stay safe through the stormy weather, Essie - hope that your eye appt. goes well.  Arlene - I'm glad that you weren't hurt when your car went into the spin!  LindaL - hope your DH has a good day today and that the upcoming visit from his DD goes well.  Bernie - it sure is annoying when a doctor doesn't "listen" to what we're trying to tell them.  And hello and waves to all of our other posters!

Well, I survived the busy weekend.  My DD flew in from Davis late Friday night.  My DS brought his girlfriend to our house Saturday and then we all drove to my niece's wedding together.  It was a bit of a drive, but the wedding location was pretty.  Everything went smoothly and it was a lovely wedding.  So happy for my niece and her new husband.  My cousins weren't even that bad to sit with, lol.  Then yesterday I had a migraine all day.  Blech.  I was bummed out that I couldn't enjoy my DD's visit more.  She flew home in the early evening.

My dog started barking a while ago and I looked out over the field and realized that the new owners of the field next to ours have decided to drill for water close to our property line.  I think it is a legal distance away, but I'm still kind-of annoyed (they didn't find any water when they tried to drill at the far side of the field).  They sure are spending a lot of money on this farming venture.  Oh well, there's nothing I can do about it, so I need to relax and embrace calmness.

I've made one or two small purchases lately, but not too bad.  Hope you're all shopping wisely and have a good Monday!  ~  Charlene

Respected Contributor

Hi girls! It's a horribly hot but sunny day; I had planned on spending time in that piece-of-garbage pool, but when I went out to feed the critters when I got up (Angelica, fish, birds, outside cats) I saw the water level is even lower - water seeps out through the pump, and it also leaks out of the holes where you put the hoses for the pump in; the seal they provide isn't good enough. (I've had two pools like this in the past so I know I did it right - this one is just a lemon.) As of now the water left is about 6" deep - what a waste!  Cat Mad  Add to that the fact that the upper ring has to be re-inflated every day, and I can't wait to get rid of this piece of junk; I'm waiting for a call back from the manager at Walmart to see if I have to return the entire thing or can maybe just cut the name of the company or something off the pool - I do have my receipt and the original box.

I was looking on Amazon for something that I could use just to cool off in; I figured even if I could just fit a float in a small one it would be OK, but then I found this on the Walmart website:

LARGE-INFLATABLE-SWIMMING-POOL-FAMILY-KIDS-CENTER-LOUNGE-WATER-PLAY-FUN-BACKYARD

They wanted $89 for it, which is cheaper than the pool so I wouldn't be out any additional money, but I decided to look around some more. Amazon had it for about the same price, but then I thought to look on eBay, where I finally got it for $62.  It never ceases to amaze me how people don't bother shopping around; there were 2-3 sellers who had it for around $60 (and free shipping), most were $119-$149. and one person actually had the nerve to ask for $600!  Anyway, it'll be good enough to relax in with a book and a drink, and since it has a seat I don't need a float - sort of like a hot tub, but without really hot water (which is fine by me).  

I did take the car to the mechanic; he said there is no mechanical reason for that spin having happened; the general concensus (from him and a friend) is that I must have hit an oil slick.  He topped off my steering fluid; this poor car has to just make it another 2-3 months.

3sumw5 - what area of the country are you in?

Hope you don't get any damage from the storms, Jean.

Essie, when I first got my driver's license here there was an eye test, but none since then, and I've renewed twice. The licenses here also do NOT have height and weight (thank goodness), and if you're over a certain age (I think 55) you can opt for a license without a picture as well.

Hope your day gets better, LindaL - I always think of and pray for you. 

Good luck with Freecycle, Bird!  I got fed up with it - people think they're doing YOU a favor when you give away something good, and I found they often didn't show up when they promised to. The last straw was when a woman with some sob story (I forget what it was) said she had no clothing and was requesting some. At the time I was selling on eBay, so I got together a bunch of very nice stuff in her size.  She didn't come when she was supposed to, and when I called her she was very rude. So...that was the end of that!  Now everything goes to the thrift shop or the missions closet.

Charlene, I've read that cayenne pepper is good for migraines; also, many are helped with a chiropractic adjustment. You feeling better today?

Well, the Walmart manager hasn't called me back, so...I'm off to call corporate!

Have a blessed day, everyone!

Honored Contributor

@ 

I like that pool.  I have a patio that enclosed on 3 sides and could probably have a little pool there.  I just flashed a mental picture of me sharing that pool with half a dozen squirrels and 50 birds, rofl.