Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time - Friday, July 22nd

Good Afternoon/Evening, and thanks for getting us started, Bernie.  I had good luck with Freecycle when I was moving from Maryland to Arizona.  I gave away tons of stuff, and I usually had more than one person interested in items.  Some did seem to have a sense of "entitlement" -- asking lots of questions about items and declining if they weren't totally perfect, etc.  And, one guy said he wanted some weights, but did not come to the house for several days, and did not respond to my e-mails.  So, I gave the weights away, and he showed up for them a couple of days later.  He was pretty nasty about the whole thing, and said "well, you are moving so I guess you don't care" or something similar.  I sure did not appreciate his nastiness.  I also donated to Goodwill, various charities that picked up items, and to a few churches.  So why did I still have so much "stuff" I ask myself.  LOL

DH's DD liked the nurse, and they both seemed supportive of DH's move.  And, his DD even said that he was barely walking these days -- true.  He only got up a couple of times last night, but the second time (4:00 or so), I could not get back to sleep -- he was tossing and turning, and my mind was racing.  So, I only got 5 hours of sleep according to my Fitbit.  I'm really feeling tired now.

His DD was taking a shuttle to the airport at 6:00, and asked me to wake her up at 5:50.  Amazingly enough, she was up and ready to go by the the time the driver arrived.  DH wet the bed again, and had an accident this morning, which added to my tiredness.  After I dropped him off at the "club", I raced to the gym, and then back home to change just in time to make it to the potluck.  The potluck was fun, and I met a very interesting lady (widow).  When I picked up DH, they told me that he was very sleepy at the club -- not a surprise. 

It is quite hot here as well, and we must have had a big wind storm last night -- brief, but lots of leaves in the carport, and the patio furniture was blown across the way.   Thank goodness that didn't cause any problems, and our AC is running well.

Good for you with the de-cluttering, Karen.  That consignment service sounds good.

Hope you got the rain, Susan.  We could sure use some as well.

Sorry about your back issues, snicks.  I'm sure you found plenty to do, but please try to take it easy.  I bet that cake will be delicious, but I don't like using all those pans, etc.

Glad you weren't harmed too much by the tornado, twinny.  Terrible shame about your DS' friend.  Hope your friend improves.  I am praying for her.

I sure don't like giving blood, Jean.  But, I know it is necessary for medical reasons.  When my Mom was ill and needed transfusions, I decided to give blood when the Red Cross came to my work.  I did it several times, but it was quite a strain on me.   I usually spent an hour or more recovering after the donation.  Since I was close to the weight limit (you are supposed to weigh a certain amount to give the regular donation), I decided maybe I should do a different sort of volunteer job for the Red Cross.  I ended up checking donors in after a while.  Sorry the exercise chair did not work out, but I am glad you could return it an easier way.  Glad the handyman called, and you will be getting the railing.  

Floating sounds great to me, Marijane.  One thing I have missed is going to the pool since it is very hot and sunny when DH is at the "club", and I can't leave him alone here when there is a bit of shade, etc.  Swimming is definitely on my "wish list" when DH is safely in the memory care facility.  (Hope that doesn't sound too selfish.)

Really hope the family is able to get lots of donations from the barbecue suwm5,  It is a long story, but DH's good friend lost his grandson (first grandchild) to brain cancer at age 11.  Terribly sad.  I still miss Gavin.

Hope it works out with the pool, Arlene.  Sounds very frustrating.  Stay safe in the storm.  Do you eat any of your baked goods?  I would want to have at least one or two of each thing I baked, but you bake so much that might be a problem.

Waves to meallen, Kathleen, Essie, Charlene, Rosa, Barbara, Gayle, LindaR, pinky ann, and all of our posters and readers.

Nap time for me.

Sleep well everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Hi ladies! Linda, I love the sleep tracking on the fitbit and I use it to help me decide when to take a pill. I need to take one tonight, was way too hyped up last night.  I woke at 3 and strggled a lot to get back to sleep.  I drove home this morning, unloaded the car and headed out again for lunch with a sweet friend.  I've gotten everything put up but the clothes.  I need to switch hangers and would like to split my clothes into to "work" and "not work" sections.

So happy to read your updates Karen! Linda I'm glad DD was supportive. Bernie, good for you for passing along the tower stack. I have used Freecycle and gotten and given things there in the past and had some strange experiences and had some good ones too.  We actually gave away DH's old boat once.  It was very old, the "Flipper" boat, and needed someone who could keep it up as with anything old it needed constant attention.

I'm off to the grocery to pick up a few things and then need to get some sleep.

Respected Contributor

Oh!  I start my new job tomorrow!  She said if I could come in Saturday she could spend more time with me.  So off I shall go.  Please say a little prayer for me - I am a bit anxious and already there have been a couple miscommunications. :/