Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time - Friday, July 22nd

Jean, it is incredible how much labs cost.  Have fun in the city if you go.

Marijane, my classmate is still in bad shape.  She is at a special care facility probably for quite a while.  I am going to see if I can help in a couple of weeks.  Lots of brain injuries + 2 broken wrists with casts up to her elbows.  Right now her family is glad that she survived & need prayers.  Have fun floating.

We just got back from getting groceries & it is HOT.  It wasn't too bad on the mopeds. Hot tubbing will be tonight after it cools down & if we don't get thunderstorms.  Lunch was at DQ.  Dinner will be decided upon later.

Esteemed Contributor

3suwm5,  I hope the benefit BBQ is a huge success.  So sad for the family though.  I like doing things inside, but don't do outdoors things except pick tomatoes  & hang out laundry.  I picked my first tomatoes yesterday, but haven't tried them yet.  They are red tomatoes with green stripes.  A new kind.

Esteemed Contributor

Marijane--The local weather person used the same "heat dome" explanation for us also. It is good that youi could get the errands done early.

3suwm5--I hope the benefit is a great success. Medical expenses can be so high, and often those who need it the most are the ones having difficulty meeting those medical expenses. It is a time when the emotional stress of dealing with a terrible diagnosis is compounded by worrying about the financial aspects.

Twinny--Enjoy those first tomatoes. Lunch at the DQ sounds great on a hot day like today.

I'm still waiting for the handyman to call. I don't think I had enough s*x appeal over the phone. Have to blame it on something. Waiting is a big part of my life, but tomorrow I will be out of here.

The Master Gym Fiitness chair is going  back. I have been debating how to handle it as the packaging and it made it difficult to handle. The prepaid label required it to be sent back by USPS. There was no way I could drag that to the car and then drag it into the Post Office.

If it came by UPS, it should go back by UPS. I still would have to take it to the UPS drop off about a mile away so I would have to get it to the car, etc. I contacted QVC and they will have UPS to come to the house and pick it up. I really was interested in the thing when presented on air and took time to think about it. I was just overwhelmed when the big box arrived. Enough is enough! Living by self with a neighbor who refuses to help is a royal pain.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Hi ladies, especially those I missed earlier. Hope everyone's day is going well. I only finished doing laundry and made a "Cold Fudge Cake". I think it will be delicious, but let me tell you, is sure used lots of bowls and utensils to make, too many dirty dishes, imo. Going to grocery shop when hubby gets home, so he can help me. Still not up to par as far as the back, but feeling somewhat better.
Hope the fundraiser BBQ brings in lots of money.
Waves...
"To each their own, in all things".
Super Contributor

@KonaKat wrote:

Marijane--The local weather person used the same "heat dome" explanation for us also. It is good that youi could get the errands done early.

3suwm5--I hope the benefit is a great success. Medical expenses can be so high, and often those who need it the most are the ones having difficulty meeting those medical expenses. It is a time when the emotional stress of dealing with a terrible diagnosis is compounded by worrying about the financial aspects.

Twinny--Enjoy those first tomatoes. Lunch at the DQ sounds great on a hot day like today.

I'm still waiting for the handyman to call. I don't think I had enough s*x appeal over the phone. Have to blame it on something. Waiting is a big part of my life, but tomorrow I will be out of here.

The Master Gym Fiitness chair is going  back. I have been debating how to handle it as the packaging and it made it difficult to handle. The prepaid label required it to be sent back by USPS. There was no way I could drag that to the car and then drag it into the Post Office.

If it came by UPS, it should go back by UPS. I still would have to take it to the UPS drop off about a mile away so I would have to get it to the car, etc. I contacted QVC and they will have UPS to come to the house and pick it up. I really was interested in the thing when presented on air and took time to think about it. I was just overwhelmed when the big box arrived. Enough is enough! Living by self with a neighbor who refuses to help is a royal pain.

Aw ... Come on Konakat , you didn't give the fitness chair a chance! Doesn't it come already assembled? All you have to do is drag it out of the box and unfold it😊

Esteemed Contributor

Jennifer--There is more to the story. I did delay to get the doctor's input. It isn't completely assembled as one has to attach the cords, but if it didn't work I would have to get it back into the box which was a very tight fit and already partly torn from the delivery. I know it comes across as being lazy but there is more to the story...doctor input, box torn during delivery, etc. I'll stick to my ellptical, dvds, and resistance bands that take up very little space...all of which were approved by the doctor.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Hi girls! Another hot, hot, HOT day with temps over 100° and with me still grumpy. I spent over an hour on the phone with eBay, Paypal, and my bank yesterday as that thief I purchased the pool from didn't send it and didn't respond to my emails. I hate Paypal and used it as a guest; turns out you can't dispute a purchase unless you have an account, eBay agreed there's a problem and although the pool should have arrived yesterday I can't file a claim through them until tomorrow for some reason, and my credit card company wants all kinds of paperwork to dispute the charge.  The guy at eBay told me that the seller - who had great feedback when I checked before buying from him - is getting lots of negatives lately.  I reordered the pool through someone else on Wednesday, and it hasn't been shipped yet.  Grrrr.... The first seller is going to get a scathing negative review, and unless the second one gets the thing out (he has "fastship" in his user name) he'll get a negative as well.  So much for good business practices...

Good luck with the handyman, Jean - I've come to the conclusion that "reliable," "honest," and "handyman" are mutually exclusive. Cat Frustrated  Sorry that chair didn't work out for you; life is full of petty annoyances, isn't it?  It's when they all add up...

I made some cinnamon bun crullers and orange donuts for the dentist's office, which they were happy to get; they donated a big package of toothhbrushes for my chaplains to distribute to the troops. The dogs and I had a nice drive, but even with the AC on in the car (it doesn't work at top speed) I couldn't wait to get out of the heat, so they got chicken nuggets at the BK drive-thru and we came right home.

Sorry to hear about your classmate, twinny - I'll pray for her.

I hope that person picks up the stereo, Bird. As I said the other day, I've given up on Freecycle. There was a sort of funny story on the local one a few years ago - a guy kept asking for this, that, and the other thing, then after a couple of dozen request posts the admins finally figured out he was asking for everything he needed to build an entire new house! (They booted him from the group.)  Others have requested everything from refrigerators to cars.  People sure do have a sense of entitlement these days.

Have fun decluttering, Karen. I should probably do some as well, since I have too much. I was forced to open an eBay account to file a claim against the crooked seller (I only used it as a guest), and I saw that you can list up to 50 items a month for free, which is why I stopped selling with them - the fees were getting outrageous. Anyway, I may list some stuff and see how it goes. The final value fees are higher now, but it was having to pay relisting fees that did me in - they really added up.

Well, I have no special plans for today; I was going to take Autumn to the park for a swim, but it's suddenly gotten really overcast, so we'll see. Thunderstorms are forecast for the next few days; I do hope they materialize for purely selfish reasons - I won't feel so bad about not being to relax in my pool. Like you, Susan, I guess I could do some laundry - maybe I'll even change the bed. If I get really ambitious I'll reorganize my kitchen drawers, and I do have to sweep the upstairs hall.  I'm still waiting for my replacement vacuum cleaner - my rugs are covered in fur...

Hope you're having a good day, LindaL.

Have a blessed day, everyone!

Oops - there goes the thunder! 

Esteemed Contributor

Arlene--I hope the pool situation is resolved. I agree that "handymen" are not so handy when it comes to responding to messages or showing up on time. I was really surprised by this one as  he had usually been very responsive and responsible.

Linda--I hope all is going well. I know that DH's DD may have intellectually understood that he was declining, but there is nothing like experiencing it in person to really deliver a message. You need to continue to have your outlets; it keeps you healthy and releases some of the accumulated stress.

Honored Contributor

I forgot to circle back :-)

Phyllis came by and picked up the stereo equipment.  She had an SUV and perhaps it was packed, because she put the components and speakers in the front and back seat area.  I saw her briefly through the office window, I'd say she was around my age range.

Frankly, DH was a PITA about that stereo system.  If I went anywhere near it, you'd swear I was trying to set it on fire.  Seriously, he'd come running and ask what I was doing.

I got sick of the cords collecting dust and unplugged everything a few years ago.  I don't remember how to reconnect it and really I don't want to be bothered.  If I want new speakers or a new receiver, I'll buy what I want.

I made a quick drop off at the recycling center.  I had one week's worth of stuff, it was enough to make a trip.  

Also, the city has finally gotten off of dead center and is definitely going to replace the driveway approach the construction company jacked up last summer.

Right now, the word REMOVE is spray painted in orange with some arrows.

I then did grocery shopping - wow was it hot and humid.

I then checked facebook and found out George Clinton (Parliament Funkadelic)  was having a 75th birthday party concert in Amsterdam and there was a live feed on youtube.   I spent two hours watching that, he he.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--You didn't use the system, so it was a good idea to find a new home for it. You are already thinking along the lines of one decluttering recommendation which basically says if you aren't using it but can buy it again if needed, then get rid of it. A new system would have to be better!

Yes, we are hearing the recommendations to limit work outside in the high temperatures as wel as drinking plenty of water whether outsiide or inside.  I plan to go to the city tomorrow; high temps will not hinder me tomorrow.

Success! The handyman called and will be here tomorrow. He knows what is to be done, so I don't need to be here. He will be putting in the railing on those steps.