Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time - Black Friday Edition - November 27th

Hello - did you have a nice Thanksgiving Day?  Are you doing any shopping today?

My quest for a leather wallet continues.  I have a leather checkbook cover with Scooby Doo's face embossed on it.  Sentimental gift from my DH over a decade ago.

I recently bought a pretty grey rose embossed leather Buxton wallet that had two zip around compartments.  I received it earlier this week and said, hmmm my checks fit in here but not the checkbook.  So, I thought this is the new model Bernie, just give it a shot.

So I loaded up the new wallet.  There was no room for the checkbook cover, no room for my pictures and I basically cracked after 3 or 4 days.  So on Wednesday, JCP was having daily deals and I ordered one pair of slippers and two different style of leather buxton wallets - these look bigger.

I gave the leather rose embossed wallet to my middle sister last night, she doesn't carry as much stuff as I do.

I've managed to resist all of the emails that have flooded my inbox over the past 3 days.

I may swing by Home Depot for a new spark plug socket and then maybe Hallmark to see if they have a new nativity that moves me.

Other than that, no malls or big time shopping for me.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Valued Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time - Black Friday Edition - November 27th

Good morning!

Thanks for getting us atarted Bernie, I had a very nice Thanksgiving, Went to my in-laws for luch at 1:00, they graciously invited Mark, Delicious food and good company.  Then at 6:00 we went to Marks' families, more good food and good company.

i have to wokr till 1:00 tjhen Meeting Mark and we are going shopping and to linch.  We have a locally owened boutique type store here that has been in buisness for 52 years that is closing tommorrow.  They could no longer compete with chains stores and the internet.  More and more shoppers want to pay the least amount for clothing and not concerened with quality, they sold excellent quality clothes.  I really hate to see them close.  My DH went to school with the owners son and they are family friends. 

Then we are going to Toys r Us to get my son and his wife a cars seat/stroller combo.  They have told us exactly what to get, hopefully they will have it in stock.

That is it for me, Saturday I want to do some cleaning and star decortaing for Christmas.

i hope that everyone is well 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good morning all, and thanks birdmama for starting the thread today. Good luck on your new wallet quest, nice of you to give the rose embossed one to your sister. I am also ignoring all the emails in my inbox, lol. I have one errand to run sometime today and no shopping planned.

fmb8282lsm, your Thanksgiving sounds  very nice. I too hate to see small shops closing, sad really. Hope you find the car seat/stroller combo that you are looking for.

We had a very nice Thanksgiving dinner, altho we did all discuss and agreed we liked the original place better (this one was very nice also, just a preference thing), but it had closed so we had to find another. I can't eat nearly as much as I could when I was younger (a good thing, I think), so just trying a small sampling of most everything was way too much food for me. I am so glad that my daughters and hubby's daughter & son all get along so well and enjoy seeing each other and the grandchildren all do as well. Makes for a relaxing enjoyable experience all the way around. I was basically a couch potato after we got back home, but today I do have things I want to get done, so I need to get started I suppose. Waves to everyone....

"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--Thank you for starting the thread. Sorry about your wallet woes. It is so frustrating to find one that works well and really holds up to the use that we give them. I use a WalletBe which the Q used to sell but I got mine from the WalletBe site. I think I am starting year 3 with this wallet. I detest wallets in which it is almost impossible to get the cards out once they are inserted, so this works very well for me.

Rosa--So glad you had a great Thanksgiving and that Mark was welcomed by the in-laws. We also used to have a nice clothing store in addition to a couple of others that carried lesser clothing. All are gone now. We either go to one of the cities to shop an hour and a half away, shop online, or from the Dollar Store.

I only went out on Black Friday once, and that was once too many. I haven't felt well since the sleep study so this has been a wasted week. I have to go to the orthopedic doc on Monday. I'll be having lunch with a cousin on Monday.

Right now, I need to call the hair stylist for an appointment before I forget it. I'm watching "Trauma: Life in the ER." I am checking Amazon periodically.  There was one item I really wanted, but it went fast. I had it on "watch" but it went within a minute or two as I was a little late getting in at the starting time for the item. It would have saved me money on a crock pot I was wanting to replace.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning!  Thanks for getting us started, Bernie.  You continue to amaze me with your handywoman skills.  My Dad was very good with those sorts of things, but back in the "old days" that was a guy thing.  So, he taught my brother how to do things, and I learned nothing.  I am pretty good at figuring out some things, and I have to say Google really helps -- love seeing those videos people post.  But, sparkplugs -- wow!

Hope your quest for a new wallet is successful.  I wouldn't want to give up the check book cover either.  

Hi Rosa -- glad you had such an nice Thanksgiving, and I am sorry to hear about the local business closing.  It is very difficult for those sorts of businesses to compete in today's market.  Hope you are able to purchase the car seat/stroller at Toys R Us.  I remember that store being a madhouse, but maybe you will luck out.

Waves to Jean (hope you like the SG coat), Kathleen (glad you had a nice time yesterday and enjoy your pie party), Arlene, twinny, Susan, snicks, Marijane, LindaR, Charlene, Barbara, Karen, pinky ann, Gayle, and all of our posters and readers.

The Thanksgiving lunch at church was nice -- tons and tons of food.  I brought home some of the pie that I made since there were so many desserts leftover.  We arrived a little early, but most of the seats were already taken.  That happens around here -- everyone shows up early.  Anyway, we were sitting at a table alone, and a lady at the next table invited us to join them.  She turned out to be a very nice winter visitor.  She volunteered to sit and talk to DH while I went to get our meal, and apparently, he did a bit of talking.  We came home and called his DD to wish his DGD Happy Birthday.  His DGD waited until her birthday to open the card we sent, which was nice.  And, later his DS called to wish us Happy Thanksgiving.  

DD sent me text messages with photographs, and I sent one back -- another triumph for me.  LOL  They ate an early dinner, and she was planning to go to the grocery store to buy stuff for today.  She seemed happy, and DGS was busy napping before his marathon at work.  

I decided to start decorating for Christmas yesterday evening, and I'm pretty happy with my progress.  Still a bunch to do, but probably 75 percent done already.  It did help to give away a bunch of decorations.  I put up my new slim, short tree, and I am a bit concerned that I'll end up with a bunch of unused ornaments.  Maybe I'll give some more to the thrift shop.

Hoping to make it to the gym later this morning.  A hospice nurse (DH's doctor referred his name to hospice) is coming to do an evaluation this afternoon.  I don't see how DH would qualify since other than dementia, he is quite healthy.  But, the lady who arranged the visit said that it is good to get him in the system even if it is not time yet.  That way, things can go easier when/if he needs the help.  I am hoping to get some suggestions from the nurse on how to help DH.  

Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

BIRD MAMA, I hope that you have fun with your extra day off.  I only carry a wallet when we are on vacation but I also like one that is roomy.  For everyday I just use a crossbody bag & put some $$$ & DL etc. in a zippered inside pocket.  I hope that your JCP slippers & one of the wallets are to your liking.  I was pleased with mom coming for lunch yesterday.  I pulled out all of the stops & had a nice snowman tablecloth, matching napkins & a cute pair of snowmen S & P shakers.  Then the last laugh was on me as there was no snow on the ground.  All 16" are gone & we have green grass again.  The ground is not frozen so all of the water did a lot of good.  Mom did also tell me that I fixed a lovely meal & it was the best meal she has had for a very long time.  DH also told me how nice everything looked.  She did test me too as when we came into the house, she told me to put her walker away.    I said "who told you that" & she said that "she did."  I said NO as we were told that she needed to use the walker everywhere she went in the house & back again.  That is the rule at her new home along with her being in a locked wheelchair for all of her meals.  I have no shopping plans whatsoever this weekend.  I am going out for lunch today with some my former working friends though,  Before lunch  am  going to what we call Christkindl (sp?).  It is held each year at this time in our Historic Turner Hall.  A lot of very talented Swiss artisans make, sell & display all of their talents.  It is a dying art with so much beautiful wooden things.  I know a lot of these elderly men as a lot of them worked in my grandparents lumber yard many years ago.  DH is out for his walk & I am just doodling around the house waiting for lunchtime.  He will be out for lunch with his friend .  This is going to be a day for "me" & I will see mom again tomorrow.  I finally feel like my "old self" again.  Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--It is great that you were able to make the Thanksgiving Dinner at church, and were able to receiving and send photos to DD.  Fabulous job on being 75% completed with your holiday decorating.

Twinny--You definitely need a day just for you. You have been through a very stressful time. It is good that your mother was permitted to have Thanksgiving with you. I am glad that it went well.

I made my hair appointment for December 19. I'm now headed for time with the Kindle and some relaxation.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Nothing exciting here other than putting away all the "stuff" for another year, & bringing out more, not that I do much these past years, as little as possible.

It's dreary & rainy here so now I'm going to ease up

@Bird mama, I think I need spark plugs (probably a whole tune up) can't believe what it costs these days, are you open for business? lol

Wishing you all a wonderful day

Honored Contributor

My trip to home depot went well and I stuck with my shopping list.  I then puttered over to my local Hallmark gold crown store - nothing jumped off the shelf at me, lol.

I'm not finding something cute and seasonal (wintery) for Benji's and and Spottie's graves.  They are in a pet cemetery and I've been decorating twice a year with something unique since 1992.  Maybe this year I will go traditional and get a grave blanket.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

BIRD MAMA, Good job at keeping with your list at Home Depot.  They seem to have such nice Christmas decorations.  cute names Benji & Spottie.  SPIX, Hi to you today too.  ROSA, Your Thanksgiving meals sounded like so much fun.  Have fun baby shopping today too.  One of our ladies shops in our downtown is going out of business after 38 years.  SNICKS, I am glad that you all had a fun time with lunch out yesterday.  It is nice when you all get along together.  I had a lazy day as well with having lunch out with some friends that I used to work with.  JEAN, DH & I did Black Friday a few times when we were still working & young enough to have some fun.  I am sorry to hear that you are not feeling well after your sleep study.  I am taking mom to her salon next Monday to get her hair done.  A stylist comes to her new home once a week but she wants to go to her regular gal this time.  LINDA L, How nice to meet some new friends to visit with your DH so you could get your plates filled.  How nice to send pix back & forth to your family.  Our son called us when mom was still here so we all had a nice chat with him.  I had a nice visit with one of mom's Hospice nurses on Tuesday.  I think that it will be nice as she will get nurse visits twice a week, volunteer visitors & also a spiritual person to take care of her needs with whom I just spoke with by phone & we all used to go to church together.  Christmas decorating may begin next weekend.  I am still enjoying my fall things.  I love snowmen & since we don't have any snow, I will not put our one big one outside quite yet.  I had a nice lunch out today with friends & enjoyed the craft market that I went to.  I bought nothing but they had lots of beautiful expensive hand made wooden things, beautiful paper cut pictures, soaps, knitted things etc..  How talented these artisans are.  The Swiss baked items were to die for but I can't eat them so I stayed far enough away not to entice myself.