Esteemed Contributor

Shopaholics: One Day At A Time (Wednesdayy, April 5th)

Good Morning, Ladies!  Another sunny day here, and it should make it into the low 80's.  I certainly like this weather much better than cold and rainy weather much less storms that I know some are expecting.  Speaking of which, welcome back to Arizona, Barbara!

There are some fragrant roses in bloom outside of DH's facility, and I enjoyed smelling them, and taking a few photos.  I usually walk out back at least once a day when I visit DH.  If the weather is perfect, I take him out in his wheelchair.  It was a bit too windy for him yesterday, so I just went by myself.  Anyway, I ran into the director, and he told me about a folk music musician who will be performing this afternoon.  I plan to attend with DH if possible.  I have already taken my first walk, and next I will get ready to go to the bank to cash in the rest of my savings bonds.  A friend e-mailed that she has finished with another friend's copy of the latest Maisie Dobbs book, and I'll pick that up today.  I think the friend who purchases the new hardbacks sort of justifies the purchase since she passes them on to several others.  Otherwise, I would probably wait for the book to come into the library.  

Today is the first day of the weekly "specials" at the grocery store, and the first Wednesday of the month when seniors get a discount.  Not sure if I'm up to the crowds, but maybe.  

DH was doing fine yesterday.  I'm so pleased  that he is still so happy to see me when I visit.  I love to see his smile.

Hope everyone is having a nice day, and please post if you have a chance.

Hugs,

Linda

Honored Contributor

Re: Shopaholics: One Day At A Time (Wednesdayy, April 5th)

Image result for wednesday quotes pics

Esteemed Contributor

Linda L, those roses sound lovely.  They are my favorites along with tulips.  Our tulips are popping up nicely.  I am so glad that your DH smiles when he sees you.  It was raining this morning, but now it is snowing.  I much prefer snow.  We will be hot tubbing soon 

Nice graphic meallen.

I have been reading your posts & envy CERB picking fresh fruits in her front yard.

Yesterday was busy just doing odds & ends around the house & getting my walk in.

The excitement around here yesterday was that our eldest dgs Christopher & 2 of his best friends are going to CA in June.  They joined FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America last September & came in 1st place at Christmas time making them eligible for the state meet on Monday & Tuesday.  They missed 2 days of  school because of the traveling distance, but came in 3rd place yesterday.  The top 4 teams get to go to CA.  Their speech was on "Business ethics about employers using social media in hiring decisions.". 

We are having Easter here for our DD & family.  We haven't hosted Easter for a few years, so it will be fun.  We will be worshipping at our church & then have a nice lunch here.

I didn't sleep well last night because of all of the excitement.

I did some shopping this morning because we will be having an Easter egg hunt on Saturday.  Our family will be coming on Saturday & staying overnight.

I need a nap after hot rubbing.

Tomorrow DH & I are heading out of town.  We have a 30% off coupon at Kohl's.  I am looking for a new photo album.  

Hugs to all of you.

Honored Contributor

Hello all - I went to my annual endocrinologist appointment this morning before work and after nearly 3 years, finally had a real appointment.  By this I mean, the doctor and I looked at each other and discussed things. 

She and I talked about cholesterol (hypothyroidism contributes) and then she brough up bone density (synthroid not great for bones).  She knew I had a bone density exam in late 2013 because I shared that with her on my first appointment with her in 2014.

Instead of just saying - you have issues, take this pill, she and I really talked about osteoporosis.  We talked about it being an active disease and that I shouldn't feel like a failure because I have it, lol.  Genetics, race, being on the thin side all my life, being post menopausal, not taking estrogen and having this malfunctioning thyroid and needing medication is basically what got me here.

Her office complex performs a variety of tests - one of the reasons I picked her was her ability to run more detailed tests on my thyroid if the day ever came.  She asked if I would consider having a bone density exam.  I said, okay.

I guess it was time for me to pull my head out of the sand and accept that I will now need to be on another maintenance medication.  I'm borderline obsessive about being independent so it's probably a good idea that I do what I can for my bones now before I break a hip ;-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@LindaLatte   I'm glad that your beloved smiles when he sees you. 

@meallen616  Thanks for the graphic

@twinny70  Congratulations to Christopher :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Bird Mama, I get a bone density test every 2 years.  I had one a few months ago & all is well.  It is the only pain free test that I know of, so I enjoy it.  I did have some bone loss from when I was on a high dosage of Prednesone & I took a tablet once a week for a few  years, I can't remember what it was called.  Now I just take 1 calcium tablet a day.   My rheumatologist tells me not to worry about falling.  Maybe because I am short & don't have far to go.  I am still careful where I walk. 

Esteemed Contributor

Congratulations to your grandson, twinny.  Happy you will be hosting DD and family for Easter this year.

Glad you had a good talk with your doctor, Bernie, and I feel your psychological pain.  I have a long history with osteoporosis -- no thyroid problems, but I am thin, small boned, etc., etc. Good thing I haven't smoked or needed medicine that causes bone problems.  I have taken several varieties of osteoporosis medicine -- hormones, pills, and now injections.  A few years back, my bone density test showed that I was below/above the osteoporosis line, and I called the doctor to get off medicine.  A couple of years later, my bone density test showed it was back.  Of course, all the medicines have possible adverse effects, and I have needed to decide whether I should risk them or not.  This is an on-going issue.  

I am currently reading a book called "Dr. Lani's No-nonsense Bone Health Guide"  that I got from the library.  It is quite interesting, but a bit complex.  Don't know if I would recommend it or not, particularly since you had such a good conversation with your doctor.  I'll let you know what I think when I read more.