Trusted Contributor

Shopaholics ODAT - Wednesday 11/25

Good morning ladies, hope all is well.

Jusr one day before Turkey Day, we will be going to my SIL for lunch and then DH's brothers house for supper.  We actually eat all day, I try not to over eat, but I am stuffed by the time we go home. 

Bernie - Sorry the slippers did nor work out.

LindaL - Let us know how the green bean casserole turns out..

Jean -  Sorry the sleep study did not go well.

Not much going on here today, I do have some decluttering I can work on.  We will see how enthused I get.  Hope everone has a great morning.

Honored Contributor

Re: Shopaholics ODAT - Wednesday 11/25

Good morning all, thanks PAlady for starting us off this morning. Enjoy your Turkey Day, all day eating, lol.

We are going out to eat at a nice restaurant, will be 7 of us this year. I will be having a quiet day today, making pumpkin pies, minor straightening the house, etc. I do have a couple errands to run, but that hopefully won't take long. I might set up my new slim Christmas tree, to see what I think of it, have always had a big fat tree, so this is a real change. Will leave the decorating of it till maybe Friday or Saturday.

My back gave me fits all night, but seems a little better this morning, so am hoping not to aggravate it any further today.

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving Day. Waves....

"To each their own, in all things".
Regular Contributor

Good Morning, Ladies!!!

Thanks for starting, Susan...lucky you, no cooking tomorrow!!  Good luck on the decluttering.  That is an ongoing process here, some days more successful than others.

Snicks, I tried a slim tree and really liked it.  Hopefully, you will be happy with how it looks.  Enjoy your day out tomorrow!!

Just wanted to drop in and say "hi" to all.  I have been reading everyday, but I always intend to post later in the day, and then the day gets away from me.  I have been thinking of all of you...I am grateful for the friends I have made in this group.

It will be a very quiet Thanksgiving for us this year, I am not up to much.  I am looking forward to a few days off, and may get my tree up, sooner rather than later.  We'll see...lol.

Happy Thanksgiving, all!!!

Valued Contributor

Good morning!

I am planning to start decorating for Christmas this weekend, Mark wants to go to a tree farm and cut down a live tree.  I have always loved a live tree best but it has been a while since DH and I were able to do that.  We will do that next weekend.

I have some more cooking to do tonight, but I love to cook so it is a joy for me.

I am going to have Thanksgiving with my in-laws at 1:30 my son and dil will be there, and they have invited Mark.  Then at 6:00 we will be going to Marks families for dinner.  My DH family has been so gracious about including Mark, they seem genuienly happy for me.

Work is pretty calm today, but time is passing slowly as we are all talking about all the cooking we have to do!

I hope that if you make the green bean casserole your family enjoys it as much as we do.  I make it the night before and bake it right befor we eat.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Esteemed Contributor

After being absent from these boards for several days. I want you all to know that I think about all of you each night when I do read all of your posts.  It has been a difficult time for me since mom's move last Friday.  The assisted living place is very nice & her move was easy for DH & myself but mom keeps asking us how long she has to stay there.  I didn't see her last Sat. as we got 16" of snow which I really have enjoyed.  It will be all gone by tomorrow after the rain we are to get.  We saw her on Sunday & on Mon. when I was doing errands for mom, my DH got a call from her new place saying she fell off her kitchen chair.  When we went to see her that afternoon we also found out that she fell out of bed during the night.  Nothing hurt thank goodness.  Yesterday a.m. I had a two hour meeting with one of her Hospice nurses..  I am now waiting for a call from her new social worker which I will meet with this morning sometime.  We are bringing mom here for Thanksgiving lunch.  We usually take her out for a nice lunch but I feel it will be easier & safer to just bring her here.  Friends are coming here this afternoon so it will be a nice change from the same old same old.  Mom got a postcard from her bank saying she could pick up a free pie, so DH & I went to get it this morning before having a quick breakfast out.  We chose berry over pecan or pumpkin.  Tomorrow I will fix the turkey breast, mashed potatoes, yams, stuffing & some sort of veggie.  I will make a cranberry salad tonight as it is better made the night before.  My one luxury each day has been the hot tub.  Sometimes I think that I am more mentally tired than physically tired.  I hope that you all have a great Thanksgiving & can eat as much as possible.  I hope to post again tonight.  

Valued Contributor

Twinny, please know that you and your family are in my dailey prayers.

Esteemed Contributor

Susan--Thank you for starting the thread. Like you, I'm doing a little decluttering. I definitely didn't feel like doing it yesterday.

I saw that my Dennis Basso TSV coat was delivered to the Post Office yesterday, but I had no energy to go and get it. So much for using my UPS address; they just transferred it to the Post Office. I just remembered it and should make an effort to go an pick it up but with my luck the Post Office will have closed early for the so-called holiday.

I wish each and everyone a happy Thanksgiving. Regardless of the trials we may be facing, there are things for which we can be thankful.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Valued Contributor

Twinny, Many hugs to you. It's so hard for you knowing your mom can't be at home, and her not understanding why. I hope they can get the falls stopped asap. I wish you a wonderful Thanksgivng!

Susan, Enjoy you family dinners tomorrow! We're having family here, so I've already got things well underway. Hope you make some headway if you decide to work on decluttering. I can't wait to see how my decorating goes this weekend after paring down tons this past year. 

snicks, Please take care of yourself. I'm happy you don't have to cook. Have fun decorating if you decide to get started. I'm excited to get going, even though it will be much more minimal this year. I look forward to it...

Karen, So nice to see you! I hope you'll do whatever makes you happy this holiday. We've not lost anyone in the family this year, but for some of our family it's been a  very tough year. I tend to hold their problems too close at times and it really takes a much bigger toll on me as I get older.

Rosa, Enjoy yourself at your family gatherings tomorrow. Your casserole sounded delicious!

DH and I went to the VA the other day for his appointment, and it ended up a very long day. He needed to see the doctor unexpectedly with a problem he had over the weekend, and we were exhausted when we finally got home...

Yesterday I did some cleaning to get ready for tomorrow. This morning, I've been busy since early in the day doing whatever prep and cooking I can, to try to have as easy a time as possible tomorrow. My back is not happy right now either, and I'm glad to be nearly done for the day. I seem to get tired very quickly these days, and hope to try to work that out in the new year. I don't like it!! lol  I have to go to town later on, but may try to put it off until Friday. After a long soak and a rest, I'm hoping to feel better and be glad to be out for awhile.

I wish everyone here a very Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you enjoy whatever you plan to do, and have fun shopping or whatever you'll be doing on Friday as well. I'll be decorating if I feel ok, as it's my tradition to do so on Black Friday. We have our shopping done, as we only have 3 to buy for. I'm unsure how many cards I'll send, but there will be a few going out for sure. Many blessings to you and yours!!!!! pinky

Respected Contributor

Re: Shopaholics ODAT - Wednesday 11/25bb

i do not post daily but read what everyone has to say. My oldest dd and Sydnie are here for the weekend..they flew in yesterday afternoon. Syd is busy drawing pics to decorate the Windows.

i discovered that my turkey did not thaw after being in the fridge since Saturday.  So I checked butterball and it will thaw today in cold water. Yikes

jean, I would freak out with a cpap mask...sorry it was difficult for you.

twinny. You are in my prayers..it is too bad they cannot use bed rails .  Thank goodness she is not alone.

snicks, I would be bedridden with all you have done in the past week.

rosa..enjoy you tree adventure. Your recipe sounded good.

bernie hope you do not get too much bad weather.

i know I have missed some of you.  Happy thanksgiving to all. I have much for which to be thankful.

Trusted Contributor

Hi friends, I wanted to check in real quick before I get started on my chores for the day.  Rosa - your casserole and cake sound delicious.  So glad that Mark is welcomed by your in-laws.  Linda = glad that you're feeling better.  Arlene - I can't say for sure why the books were returned from the prison.  I think there's a lot of variation prison to prison with what they allow.  I had an in-law in prison years ago, and we could send her a Bible, but it had to be brand-new and shrink-wrapped, no used books were allowed to be mailed.  I liked the link you shared about the pillowcase dresses.  I love to sew and do creative things like that, so I might look into it more.  Bernie - sorry the slippers didn't fit.  I want to cut back my online purchasing for many reasons, but one of them has to do with the returns because of things not fitting.  Twinnysorry that your DM is having a hard time adjusting to the assisted living facility.  The fact that she's fallen twice does show that she needs round-the-clock supervision.  

Fall has finally arrived here in southern CA, and it's been beautiful.  The trees are at their peak (for us it's a liquid amber tree and a couple of pomegranate trees that turn color).  Somebody asked about our goats and pomegranates - they adore pomegranates!!!  We place the split pomegranates in a big feeding bucket and chop them up a little with a shovel.  The goats have a hard time biting into a whole one.  (Kind-of funny to watch, I admit.)  BTW - there ARE some things that goats don't like to eat.  It's not true that they'll eat everything.

On Monday we took our puppy Harper in for her first check up with the Vet and to get her next set of vaccinations.  She was very well-behaved and I think they all liked her.  One of the girls who works there has received an interview invitation to the vet school at UC Davis (where my DD is attending.)  We're excited for her and hope she gets accepted.  

We also had our neighbor Dan come over and paid him to wash our cars.  I feel bad for the guy.  He never knew his father, his mother abandoned him when he was 13, his only brother is dead.  A few years ago he suffered a  brain injury which left him unable to work and has seizures.  He lives with his uncle, but they're not particularly kind to Dan.  Yes, he can be a little wearing, but I feel sorry for him.  We give him some work when we can, he seems to really enjoy doing something useful.

Yesterday my DH and I began the day with trimming goat hooves and giving them baths with flea/lice/tick shampoo.  One of our goats flipped out, jumped off the stanchion knocking it over, and then proceeded to drag it around.  I thought she was going to break her neck.  Dang expletive goat.  My DH was finally able to unhook her from the stanchion.  Goat seems okay.  After cleaning up from the goat spa day, we had an outing to a small community called Oak Glen, known for it's historic apple farms.  We've been wanting to go there for years.  Of course, wouldn't you know it, on the way there we got rear-ended.  Just sitting there peacefully at a stop light and WHAM!!!  People and cars involved all seem okay, but you never know about these things.  Took photos and have to call the insurance company today.  I enjoyed looking through the little shops, having lunch, looking at the fall foliage, and eating cider donuts (yummy!).  My DH was kind-of grumpy though, not just because of the goat and car incident, he's just been moody lately.  (eye-roll).

Today I am rebelling and instead of baking homemade pumpkin pies, I am heating up a frozen one.  I am also making pumpkin cream cheese pies, and baking some snickerdoodle cookies.  We will spend the day tomorrow at my Mom's house.  My 2 sisters and I divide up the cooking chores, and my DBIL carves the turkey.  Our young adult children are now responsible for cleaning up afterwards - yay!  Well, I feel as though I've written a novel.  Hope you all have a good day,  ~  Charlene