Respected Contributor

Boy this month is zipping on by.

It is bright and sunny today---a break from our dismal weather of late. Nice to see the sun and recharge the batteries!.

Hope all are doing well---will check back later.

Valued Contributor

Hello All,

This week has whipped by. We are still cold but FINALLY sunny. My husband surprised me yesterday with a gift card. It was an account, rebate promotional deal and he told me to go shopping and have fun. It was guilt free shopping but I have been either avoiding shopping or at the least, I try to be more sensible about it. I found a couple of pairs of what I would call "sensible" shoes (Dr. Scholl's and Easy Street)..both are flats. One is more of an athletic Mary Jane style and the other is a clog. I did get a couple of blouses and a very lightweight sweater. The sweater was in what I call the teenager section/Jr. department but it actually fit well etc. I decided that since this was a nice extra, that in turn, I would donate 8 or 9 items to the military thrift shop. I have those 8 or 9 items that I have been on the fence about donating. Right now, I don't want excess in my closet so yesterdays shopping made the decision for me.

We are off to a movie this afternoon. Basically a lazy day...

Everyone, have a great day!

Respected Contributor

Good morning Linda!! Thank you for starting us - I agree it is beautiful out here today. Marijane just posted a picture of a dog (husky) saying "the Groundhog said 8 more weeks of winter so I ate him." {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

DH flies home today and I'm ready. DD just sent a pic of her "Goodbye cake" from the employees at Whataburger - so sweet! She will be home this weekend as well. I'm hoping she helps me get rid of some things.

Last night had an appreciation dinner for everyone who has been part of our church's Prayer Ministry Team. It was lovely, and I met some folks I don't know and got to say goodbye to everyone.

Gayle, what a sweetie!! What movie are you seeing? DH wants to go see American Sniper this weekend. I read the book a couple weeks ago and he has it on his trip.

Esteemed Contributor

Linda R, Our weather hs been getting milder & milder all week. Tomorrow will be our high for a while when it hits the 40's. Tomorrow we plan to empty the hot tub & change filters & do a quick clean. Then fill it up again so we can go into it about 6 hours later. We do that job 3 times a year. Easy maintenance for all the enjoyment it brings to us.

Gayle, that was a nice surprise from your DH. Have fun at the movies today. I decluttered my closet a year ago. It is nice to be able to open the doors & see what is actually hanging in there. I do store my seasonal things in our guest room closet.

RC, I have never heard of whataburger. Nice of them to give your DD a nice cake. I am sure you will appreciate this weekend when your DH will be with you again.

DH & I did go on a little shopping spree yesterday. I have 6 watches (4 bangles & 2 strap watches) & they all had dead batteries. I know not to leave the stems in, but I did it anyway. I love bangle watches as I don't have to fiddle around trying to close the band. We went to our trusty battery guy & he had moved out of the mall he had been in for a long time. They said the rent was too high so he moved to another town. On the way home we went to that town but never did find him. Today I went to our local jewelry store & had one put in for only a few dollars more. I should have gone there in the first place. It would have saved me lots of running from place to place.

Today we paid our property taxes & took my mom's with us. Mom hurt her leg a week ago & still can hardly walk. She still gets MOW 5 days a week & has a gal come every Saturday for an hour. It doesn't sound like much, but its saves me from running back & forth each day. We did make it to the grocery store & bank. DH was cleaning his glasses a few days ago with the new cloth that I got when I got new glasses in December. Today when I went to get it to clean my glasses he said "oh I threw it out." Now he is out searching for another one. I have just 1 of those disposable cleaning sheets left so he is out for more of them too. I don't want to scratch my new lens by using Kleenex.

The sun feels so good in the house.

Hugs to all of you.

Respected Contributor

Hi girls!

I can't believe it's Friday already! {#emotions_dlg.scared} It's a nice day out - bright and sunny, with temps in the 40s - but I have nowhere to go and no extra money to spare, so I'll probably stay in; I'm getting an ltch to give this house a good cleaning, as all the fur on everything seems more noticeable with the rooms being bright once again. {#emotions_dlg.laugh} I have to be careful to not overdo; my leg is still affected by the sciatica. Tomorrow it's supposed to be near 60°, and I'll have to think of something to do with the dogs - nice days in winter are rare.

What movie did you see, Gayle? A friend said she wants to take me to dinner and a movie next week for my birthday, my choice, and the only thing that interests me is American Sniper.

I got my homework assignment in on time last night, but barely - I was having problems with one browser that wouldn't let me post it and had to open another. Normally I wouldn't panic if it was an hour or two late, but the school has a new policy that if discussions are late in being posted, no credit will be given except in cases of extreme emergency. I guess I'd better break the habit of waiting until the last minute to finish my work! My next assignment is due Sunday at 11:59 p.m., but I'm going to try and finish it today.

I just remembered to check Mr. Rebates for my tablet purchase from HSN, and sure enough, it wasn't there, so I sent them an email about it. It's $15, and that would pay for a nice meal out.

Nothing else going on - have a blessed day, everyone!

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon! Glad you are having nice weather LindaR. We are expecting temperatures to get near/at 70 degrees the next few days. Love it. I know that a new poster (Lori?) said she was happy in the cold, and I can say that I am the opposite.

How sweet of your DH to give you the gift card Gayle. Sounds like you made some nice purchases, and good for you getting rid of some things. The Veterans are coming next Tuesday, and I have a donation bag half-full of clothes, but my goal is to at least fill that bag up. Hopefully, I will have more to add. Enjoy the movie.

Nice that you had a good time at the appreciation dinner last night Kathleen, and your DD also had a good send-off. I know you will enjoy having your DH home.

Sorry about your Mom's leg twinny. Glad you were able to get the watch battery taken care of.

Glad you got that paper in on time Arlene. My oldest DGS has those types of deadlines as well, and I know he is always concerned about possible computer issues. Hope you enjoy the movie and dinner next week. I should mention that I'm not a big fan of sweet stuff for breakfast, and I really don't like chocolate for breakfast. I'm glad you like the TJ croissants, but I don't think that I enjoy them as much as I expected. Oh well....

Hope you had a good day at work Jean, and hope your niece is doing okay. She has certainly been through a lot of trials.

Waves to Susan, Marijane, Karen, Rosa, and all of our posters and readers.

DH and I attended a travel club meeting this morning where a lady told us about her trip to China, Tibet, Hong Kong, etc. It was really interesting, but I don't think I could handle such an ambitious trip -- every day they met the group at 7:00 a.m. and didn't get back to the hotel until 9:00 p.m. or later. It was run, run, run, in the middle. Yikes!

After the meeting, I brought DH home and went to have my hair cut -- she did a nice job, in my opinion.

DH and I will be going for a walk soon, and then I'll go to Curves.

Have a good evening everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

FHG, I am glad that you are seeing sunshine & warmer temps. I hope you have a great birthday next week. Our DD's birthday is Sunday & our oldest DGS's birthday is Tuesday. I did send cards & money today for both of them as there is no mail on Monday & I want our DGS to get his card on time. He usually chooses a sleepover with friends, He will be 14. My how time flies. It seems like yesterday that we held that little baby in our arms. Our other DGS's birthday is Jan 25th so that is just around the corner. He will be 12. He was the screamer in the family. I hope your classes to go well for you this semester & you can make all of the deadlines.

LL, It sounds like your weather is warming up nicely. We know a few snowbirds that come to your area for several months. That travel club meeting about China sounded interesting. Yes it would be a grueling trip for me too.

It is so nice & warm in the house with the sun shining in. I got a good nap this afternoon so I hope to be able to stay up later this evening. Yesterday's outing tired me out. It was fun even though we didn't buy much. I bought 3 bags of SF black licorice, My favorite & hard to find around here. We did have a nice lunch out. DH bought a few things at the Super walmart but nothing exciting.

Jean, I hope you had a good day at school today. I think you are going into the city tomorrow. Have fun.

Respected Contributor

Kathleen: Saw the pic of the cake---very cute!!! Your dinner sounded lovely. I know you touched many lives---and you will continue to do so in your next venture.

Licorice---Oh I am so not a fan. I remember stopping at the Rexall Drug Store on the way to my grandparents and my brother would buy horehound drops. I found some on line a few years ago and sent them to him!.

Esteemed Contributor
Linda R, DH&I see the horehound candy when we are traveling. They are always in a wooden barrel. I don't like them, but I can remember my dad buying them when I was a kid.
Respected Contributor

I don't care for Anise---so I didn't care for them either. My grandfather always had a jar of lemon drops in the cabinet!.