Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (TUESDAY)

Good morning, shopping friends. It is a nippy 6 degrees right now; obviously, this is getting very old.

I am starting what I hope will be Day 42 of not buying items not considered essentials or needs. Not only am I facing a possible HVAC replacement, and foundation repair, it appears the the school system's budgetary concerns are putting a crimp into substitute employment. We are one of the few school systems that operates entirely upon the money from the State as the local citizens do not support a levy for additional funds. The loss of student enrollment dramatically affects the amount of funding by the State; yet, the State still requires certain positions, etc. regardless of number of students to be served. Rural counties are really hurt under this funding system. Right now, we have a large number of long term subs filling positions of regular teachers who are out because of surgery, pregnancy, etc. and this is really eating up the budget.

I was tempted last night by the IM ceramic watch. I confess to having three of them as they are fabulous, but I talked myself out of it. I consider the watch an accessory to be changed frequently. I told myself that I could wait a long time and if I really wanted it, I could pay the single price rather than easy pay although easy pay is tempting.

I guess I'll see what I can do around the house. I have no need to go to the city despite an urge to get out and about. Staying home saves money so fun trips to the city just to have fun will be limited. I still have two trips planned which I still plan to do as the money has been saved for them....one in June and one in September.

For those in pain or having procedures done, I know that the day can be a difficult one but we hope that you will find some positives in the day. I know that with a rotator cuff issue, I find some days more challenging than others but I still try to find the good.

Have a great day! If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (TUESDAY)

One of the 77 reasons why people are bad at managing money, according to Daily Finance: You spend lots of money on material stuff to impress other people without realizing those other people couldn't care less about you. You'd be shocked at how few people care where your purse was made or how much noise your car makes.

Then there is this one:

You don't respect the mountains of evidence showing that once basic needs are met, the amount of happiness each additional dollar of income provides diminishes quickly. This causes you to spend most of your life chasing "the number" you think will make you happy, but probably won't.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2014/02/10/77-reasons-youre-awful-at-managing-money

I used to be so good at managing money. Then I inherited a home that needed remodeling and became a money pit. I started, during a period of depression, putting a relative's needs above my own. I really could use the money that I lost during this time but I can't change the past; I can only learn from it.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} Hi Jean, I am having trouble trying to post today, but I am glad to join you. It is minus 12 degrees this morning, so not as bad as yesterday. They say a BIG zero tonight and maybe a high of 15 degrees tomorrow. The good thing is that they are saying starting next Monday, we will be at normal which right now is about 35 degrees to maybe even a bit above normal. Sounds like a true heat wave coming for us. DH is out for his daily walk, as he missed yesterday.

Sorry to hear about your teaching situation, as I know you are loved by all. I am having pain in my left foot. It hurts to even lay on my side and have it touch the mattress. I do see my neurologist in a couple of weeks at the UW-Clinic. I am thinking it is because of my neurological issues. It hurts to walk so I am hoping it is better soon. I would love to just go away for a day. Next week sounds promising. I am also fighting with the insurance company about a foot injury that I had about 17 months ago. I was injured going into a small boutique and they want to bill Medicare for my expenses. That is totally wrong. Tomorrow I need to try to get that mess straightened out. Then I talked to my mom yesterday (she lives a block away from us) and she said that her friend that lives across the street from her no longer wants to go to their exercise class 3 times a week, and since she can no longer drive that will be the end of those classes. She has been going to the Sr. Center for over 30 years. (She is 93 years old). Sorry for my rant today. Waves to all other posters. Maybe I will check in again later, but today I do want to polish my dining room table & 6 chairs.

Esteemed Contributor

Good job on your 42 days without shopping for wants. I forgot to mention that until I just saw your last post. I haven't bought anything other than a new vacuum a few weeks ago, as it has been too cold to go out and shop except for groceries and needed things.

Where are you going in June & Sept? We usually go to the East Coast in May for 3 weeks, but last year we went in Sept. and had a wonderful warm time. Don't know when we are going to go this year. DS & DIL live out there.

Esteemed Contributor

Twinny--When it comes to health issues, the phrase "when it rains, it pours" often applies. It is amazing how easily people try to work the insurance companies to get what they can, and if people don't double check, they sometimes can end up paying a tidy little amount. Clerical errors do occur from human mistakes, but when two entities are billed instead of the one responsible for the bill, someone is making money. I had a worker comp issue once and told the hospital not to bill my state insurance as they had to bill worker comp. Lo and behold, a few months later, I got a letter from the State insurance asking me to repay the amount they had paid on it as they realized Worker Comp had also paid. I never saw a cent of that money so I told them they had to contact the hospital to get it. I never heard anything more about it. When it comes to Medicare, I had a lab test which I knew that Medicare wouldn't pay for if it were repeated within a six month period. I didn't remember it being done, but I made sure it was done since I last had lab tests. I get so many of the blood type tests run that it is difficult to keep track.

It would be nice if your senior citizen center ran a van to pick up people for the exercise class; it would be a benefit to seniors. I do hope your neurological appointment results in some positive news. Less pain is always good.

Good job on watching the expenditures; a vac is needed.

There is so little to do here that work not only provides needed income, it provides an outlet for interacting with people. There is a reason people go to the city often; there are activities there which people can enjoy. Here, unless you are a school athletics fan, there is almost nothing. This is why my trip outings are so enjoyable.

A friend and I are driving to Nashville in June and then to Memphis. The money has been saved for that as I set aside money each month for the excursions. In September, four of us are going to Kona, Hawaii. I'm using frequent flier tickets so that is a freebie except for the processing fee of $10. The condo sleeps six so we will be splitting the $900+ a week cost between us. I've paid the deposit on it and have the money for the rest of it with part of it to be reimbursed by the others. All that is left is the cost of a rental car, the cost to be split, and the activities. All I can say it isn't the best timing for the possible replacement of the HVAC. I see a lot of belt tightening in the future.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning! Sorry to hear about the issues in your school district Jean -- I know how much you enjoy teaching and appreciate the extra income. I read the 77 reasons link you posted, and it certainly makes some good points. It is a shame many of us have difficultly in this area, but it is certainly very common. Like you said, you can't change the past, just learn from it. Good job in resisting another temptation last night. I was surprised to hear that you haven't ever had a colonoscopy, since I thought it was regularly recommended/pushed for those over 50 or 55. My Mom's doctor tackled my brother and I about this when she was in the hospital (she had colon cancer.) It took me a few years to have it done, but.... Since I have been asleep or twilight sleep when I have had it done, the actual procedure has been no problem. But, the preparation is another story. Hope that Rosa doesn't have any problems today.

Hi Twinny -- I had insurance issues like that -- hope it is resolved the way you like. Sorry you are having pain in your foot. That is a shame about your Mom and the exercise class. Around here, there is a service for older/handicapped people where a minibus will come to your house and take you where you wish to go. The cost is pretty reasonable ($2.50 or so), and I think it helps many elderly people get out of their houses which is a good thing. I know the senior lunch program where I work has some people who get there via a van service, and if their income is low, they are provided with tickets for free. Thinking back, my Mom was able to take taxis at a reduced rate in her area through a county program. It would be nice if they had such options in your area.

DD sent an e-mail saying that their truck had to be towed again since the emergency brake was frozen. And, she ended up re-joining AAA ($200 +) because the insurance plan she had only covered one tow per year. Not a good way to start the day.

My ear doctor appointment turned out okay -- no need for hearing aids yet (no real changes in my hearing from 18 months ago), but the appointment took way too long. So, I got to the bookclub a bit late. The bookclub meeting was good -- lively discussion. DH and I took a walk, but it was shorter than normal since it was getting dark.

Waves to Kathleen, Arlene, Sonya, Marijane, LindaR, Susan, Rosa, Nancy, Karen, Kathy, Val, Gayle, and all of our posters and readers.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Good morning friends!! We are having an extra cold winter here too, and I felt bad to leave Kyanne at home but didn't really want to mess with her. I fished my gloves out of a storage bin so I could walk up the hill at work. I'm not sure if we are having school, most areas delayed or closed because the weatherman was threatening wet stuff coming down on freezing temps. I made it to work just fine and DH was headed up North out of town for the day in my car.

Gotta run - something to do everywhere I look!

Respected Contributor

Hi ladies. I was reading a thread in Kitchen Recipe and it says that FunkyHG Dog has been missing. I haven't seen her post lately and she usually does so wanted to make sure everybody knew!

Good thoughts on the safe return on her dog.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the idea of the mom using the cab. She does take it sometimes when she has an appt. at the clinic or just wants to get out of the house. We try to take her 3 times a week, so it isn't like she is homebound. In fact she has more energy than I do, but I still worry about her when it is so snowy & icy. Last year she fell in the driveway while putting the garbage bag out and if a neighbor hadn't been looking out of her window mom would likely frozen to death. The whole transportation problem started almost 3 years ago when my DH had to take her car keys away from her. Ever since then, that has been a real sore spot around here. I'm sure you all have stories like that to tell. Just got out of the hot tub. It makes our old bones feel so good. Now it is nap time so I can play cards tonight.

Jean, your trips sound so fabulous. We went to HI 24 years ago next month. It is nice that you can use your frequent flier miles and have others to share the expenses.

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--Glad the hearing tests turned out well for you. Sorry about DD's expense. As far as the test is concerned, it has been suggested so I'll likely have it done this summer.

Kathleen--Good that you could make it to work under the freezing temperatures. Kyanne will welcome you home but I'm sure that she would have enjoyed the office visit.

CouponQueen--Thank you for the information. We hope all is well.

I did some kitchen work and then took a Kindle break with Midnight. I'm now watching Discovery Fit and Health while having a late lunch. I'm trying to be optimistic about the employment situation. We are not the only county school district having this problem; the one next to us is in far worse financial condition.