Trusted Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, MAY 26)

Hi all - hope that storms won't be bad for those of you living in that part of the country.  Snicks - sorry that you have to deal with so many tests with your DH.  Doctor visits can be exhausting indeed.  The strawberry shortcake for your brother sounds delicious.  Twinny - sorry about about you having a blue week.  (((hugs))) as you continue life without your mother.  Jean - I sure do hope that you have a great trip to Branson.  I want to go there someday!  Barbara - it must be annoying to have your road torn up, may the repairs go quickly.  butterly - hope your doctor appt. goes well.  I'm one of those people who likes to shop "as-is" items.  I sometimes do what Jean mentioned, which is to wait for the inevitable returns after a TSV (especially clothing).  I'd say that 80% are in like-new condition, 10% have a mild problem that I can deal with (such as clothing smelling strongly of perfume), and 10% have an actual problem.  I posted on the other thread that if there's an actual problem I write an extra note with the return to explain the defect and request my S&H be refunded, and QVC has always complied.  That takes most of the risk out of purchasing "as is".  LindaL - I had never heard about oiling a paper shredder.  What a good idea - mine is probably way overdue!

Our goat Dottie seems to be doing well now.  One of you asked about the pneumonia watch.  Yes, we were watching her closely because she had been under anesthesia and had inhaled some fluid.  The first several days after her dental work she didn't look too good (groaning, shivering, runny nose, coughing).  She got some immediate antibiotics, followed by long-acting antibiotics, we put clothes on her and my DH put a heat lamp in her pen.  She is acting like her old ornery self again and has her appetite back.  That said, she's an elderly goat.  Don't know how much longer we'll have her with us, but we'll do the best for her that we can.  (Dottie is the mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother of all of our goats - the matriarch of the herd, and quite a character.)

I'm still working on going through my clothes.  What a chore, but it's a good time to do it, and I'm looking forward to having things organized.  

Waves to all  ~  Charlene

Trusted Contributor

Twinny - will be keeping your injured friend in prayer.  It is hard to stay positive when one bad thing after another strikes.  We're all sending good thoughts your way!

Trusted Contributor

HEllo Ladies...beautiful day here another 80's day.  

Too bad about those shoes Bernie but nice that they were ok for Snicks.  I will wait for the presentation tomorrow...I still have my eye on those  IM wedge sandals though.

I hope that the nurse can offer solutions for your DH allergies and sleeping Linda.....looks like you have a good job of decluttering yours papers...I never knew that shredders can be oiled either.

Twinny hope your closing goes well today..prayers go out for your friend who fell.  I still have problems on this thread too with my iPad.

Not much else here...yesterday I went "floating" for about an hour..first time before Memorial Day and I plan to go out in a few minutes again.   THe water is cold but just yo float I will not turn the heater on.  WHen we had a pool in NJ we also had a solar cover we would put on top at night and that really kept the heat in but we never looked into one here.   

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can only write so much on a thread and then my iPad freezes...I have read others are having this problem too.

I have been going thru my summer stuff too Charlene and have donated a lot .   

HAve a nice day everyone......Marijane

Regular Contributor

Hi Ladies!!!  I have been quite busy at work, so not much time to post.  But, I have been reading at night when I am winding down.

Just spoke to DS who flew out of Newark earlier today...lines were quite long, but he has the TSA precheck(I think he paid $85 for 5 years), and he went right through.  Didn't have to take off shoes, belts, laptop, etc.  This is his 3rd flight this month (interviewing for his fellowship), so he feels it's paid for itself in time saved and aggravation avoided already.

He's flying out of JFK next week, so a much busier place...we'll see what he thinks then.

I'm a big "as is" fan, and have only been disappointed a couple of times.  Like Charlene, I enclosed a note and my S&H was refunded.

Gotta run...enjoy the day if I don't get back!!!  Sending hugs to all who are struggling!!

Respected Contributor

Let's try again.  It's a lazy day here.  I woke up at 3 and have my early women's group so haven't taken my nap yet.  I've started to take naps when I don't get enough sleep. It's been nice. I never sleep more than an hour unless I'm REALLY needing it.

I cleaned up and got groceries now I need to put them up.  I'm not sure if we will be here this weekend.  DH has a lot going on at work. But I will be surprised if he doesn't decide to head out tomorrow after work for the weekend.

I have the opportunity to hop on the Mercy on her way home in Hawaii and join them to San Diego. I found airfare for $500 but don't really feel comfortable spending the money so I'm just praying about it.  I will be sad to go but I have a hard time with guilt when I'm not working and spending money on big ticket items - and if I'm working then I won't have vacation.  So it doesn't seem ideal right now unless Jesus makes it happen. (I will have to probably get a room at least for a night in both locations, and also air fare home from SD which I had already figured on going to SD when the ship comes in.)

That might be too much info - I wondered if that's why my post didn't post.  lol  I know y'all are all going to tell me I should go.  And I should.  I'm just having a hard time feeling good about myself these days. That old demon "what are you worth" is lurking around every corner.  And I know it's really stupid to feel that way.

Respected Contributor

Karen, is this DS the doctor?  What are the other kids up to these days?  Any more runs for Victoria? 

Marijane the float sounds divine. We have a pool here I've never been in, and only used the hot tub a couple times.  You would think I would take advantage. 

Linda I never heard of oiling the shredder either, but I do run mine backwards frequently. I bought one at Sam's back when they were made better, and it's huge and has lasted a long long time and still going strong.  I remember buying one at one of my jobs and I couldn't believe the flimsy ones they had out there, for more money.

Respected Contributor

Hi girls!

It's a nice, sunny day out; Mark was supposed to come and do some work today but changed it until tomorrow. He almost always does that, which is annoying, but he does good work and is cheap, so I can't complain too much. I'll just move tomorrow's planned trip to Sam's to today. He has to work on the pool, repair the roof and a fence, and a few little things. I took the dishwasher apart to clean out the gunk the other day; it's not easy to do on that machine, and I can't get it back together the way it was, so he'll have to figure it out.

I had a stressful day. Problems with the mortgage company; I decided I don't want to deal with them - I'll go elsewhere as I don't like being given a runaround. I had to go out and do some errands in the early evening, and went to Dollar Tree where I got a few things. When I went to pay for the items the machine rejected my debit card. I thought maybe I had entered my PIN wrong, so ran it as a credit - rejected again. I check my balance daily and knew I had way more than enough for my purchase, so I was pretty much freaking out - I thought someone had hacked into my account and cleaned it out. Very embarassing - and I couldn't wait to get home to see what was going on at the bank's website. As it turned out, everything was fine - there must have been some kind of problem with Dollar Tree's terminal, but that didn't make it any less scary and embarrassing.

When I got to the car where the dogs were waiting for me, I noticed Autumn was gone.  Scared the heck out of me; people are always saying how cute she is, and although I didn't think someone stole her (not with the other two there), I couldn't imagine what happened... Well, I called her and she came running; stupid dog jumped out the window (first time she ever did that); I don't know what the heck came over her. 

Got home, and tackled a pot I had reheated Sloppy Joes in the day before; it had stuff caked on the bottom, so I put some baking soda in the bottom, added water, and put it on the stove - the heat activates the baking soda, making it bubble up, and after you let it sit a little while, the mess comes right. Then I went to take care of the dogs for the night...and Whisper - who is strictly a house cat - somehow got out.  More stress...he's very precious, and has had health problems, which is why I don't let him out. (He's a gorgeous Himalayan; he just turned up one day years ago, emaciated, covered in poop, and his tail so thickly matted where some #*$% must have put duct tape or something around it that I couldn't even cut through it.)  He led me on a merry chase, and I finally caught him and brought him back in - obviously, he's forgotten what life on the streets is like!  I needed to relax a bit, so I sat on my bed with a coloring book for a while when "something" told me to go to the kitchen. I opened the door that separated the two sides of the house only to find that the smoke was so thick it was like fog. Yep...I had forgotten to turn off the gas under the pot, which was obviously now ruined (and it was a Cuisinart!); the inside was all crackly as the water had boiled out, and the handle had melted.  Thank the Lord I came out when I did, or it likely would have caught fire. I had to run two ceiling fans, and even so it took hours for the smoke to clear...not to mention the smell.

Does it end there?  Of course not...I had put Whisper in the bedroom and closed the door so he couldn't run out while I put food out for the outside cats. Went back into the bedroom to relax...and found that stupid cat had peed on the bed... So, I had to strip the whole thing, do laundry, and re-make the bed. Thank goodness I got that waterproof mattress pad!  I have it over a regular, thick mattress pad, and that's over a memory foam topper, so my mattress is never in peril.

Anyway, that's been my exciting life...  I did create a new cupcake which I call "Cupcakes in Paradise."  They're mango, banana, and coconut; I took some - along with some blueberry pie pops - to my dentist, and they were a huge hit. 

So, in a little while I'm off to return a rented textbook to Amazon; I didn't realize that an ebook came with the website access I had to pay for, and $31 is $31...they were very nice about letting me return it and refunding the rental fee. I need to get a few things in Sam's, as my membership expires at the beginning of next month, then it's down to homework. 

Jean, the schools here let out this week; I can't get used to that - I always think of July and August as summer vacation, especially since August is the hottest month. 

I don't think I'll ever fly again, unless the Lord makes a way for me to get my pilot's certification updated. I hate the crowds, and the TSA is nothing but a way for Big Brother to harass and bully people; they've never caught a single terrorist or criminal of any kind.  I was reading earlier that so far this year they've caused 70,000 people to miss flights on American Airlines alone.

Marijane, I'm also looking forward to floating in my pool. Hopefully Mark can get the saltwater pump on the big pool working again (There's probably an ant's nest in it, which has happened before); if he can't then I have the 16' Easy Set pool I got last year. It's not deep enough for "real" swimming - just a backstroke - but it's nice to float in with a book.

Sorry you had a bad night again, LindaL - I always pray for you.

Twinny, just kep reminding yourself, "This too shall pass."  Before you know it, it'll all be behind you.

Nothing else going on; I decided to return the sandals I got to Ross; I wore them for a short time, as I always do, and they're not very comfortable. I guess I'll do that early next week - there's too much else to do today, and hopefully Mark will be here tomorrow.  

Hi to everyone - have a blessed day! 

Honored Contributor

Hello all

It hit the mid 80's yesterday so I opened windows when I got home last night and left them ajar during the night.  House didn't cool down as much as I expected and we did get some rain (didn't blow in on the floors or anything).  House felt kinda warm this morning so I closed up the windows and kicked on the A/C - not a real cold temp - just enough to get rid of humidity.

Looks like a chance of rain for the next 4 days - great, I have tomorrow off and wanted to start installing the fence slatting.  I really need to find an old school plastic shower cap.  Last time I worked near the trees, got pine tree sap in my hair and had to use liquid crisco to get it out, rofl.

Car was dropped of at the dealer today.  Knew there was a rotor and brake issue - surprised I'll get out at around $300.  Back brakes still good.  Can't complain - car is 6 years old and first time brakes needed any work.

Back to work.

I'm glad Dottie is doing better :-)

Snicks - where's puppy - avatar?   Just felt like change?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Valued Contributor

Hello All,

Very wam here with a bumch of mosquitoes, even with spraying repellent...still getting bitten. 

I hope everyone is doing o.k.  I jump on and off the internet.  Overall, I am trying to minimize my online time. 

I am running in a 5K tomorrow, my first in about 4 years.  I decided to do this "for fun".  My husband is recovering from surgery but will need a couple more surgeries down the road.  I think I was starting to get cabin fever and a caregiver and this gives me an outlet. 

We don't have big plans for the weekend.  One of our neighbors is having a birthday party on Saturday so I am sure we will stop by and socialize for a time. 

Take care everyone.   Gayle