Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, APRIL 28)

Good Morning/Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  You inspired me to find a shirt to donate since I purchased a new"exercise" top yesterday.  It wasn't an easy decision since I have had the T-shirt for at least 20 years (my football team.)  But, truth is I never really liked the pattern.  I wore it last week and discovered a tiny hole.  I think I'll donate it rather than just toss it -- someone might want to use it as a rag or something.  That is another decision issue for me -- trash or donate.  I would not donate anything that is in very bad shape, but I sometimes have trouble with very small imperfections.  What do you ladies do when faced with that choice?

That device looks interesting, Jean.  Great that it helps you.  I have seen some Susan Graver tops of interest, but the price is a definite turn-off. Of course, like you I don't need more.  

Sorry your weather isn't nice, Susan.  Also sorry COSTCO no longer is selling books.  I just went there yesterday, but I did not look for books.  I remember DH used to go to that section while I was shopping, and I used to purchase books sometimes.  I use both the eReader (Kindle) and the regular books.  I prefer paperbacks and the eReader to hardbacks, but sometimes they are not available.

Glad you had a nice visit with your great granddaughter yesterday snicks.  I'm sure I would be very tired after the drive.  Hope your physical goes well.  I used to go to Sam's Club, but now COSTCO.  I like COSTCO slightly better, but they are quite similar.  The Sam's Club is farther away from us than COSTCO.

Your top sounds nice, Rosa.  Is it the one with the embroidery at the neckline?  I was tempted by that when I saw it.  Enjoy your Grandma time this weekend.

Waves to Bernie, Arlene, Kathleen, twinny, Esse, Marijane, LindaR, Barbara, Charlene, Karen, pinky ann, Gayle, and all of our posters and readers.

The termite inspector is here, and the nurse is on her way.  After the crowd departs, I plan to take a walk and do some exercising.  Hopefully do some cleaning and sorting as well.

It is cool and windy here, but nice an sunny.  Have a nice day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Afternoon, @KonaKat Thanx for the start, glad to hear the Light Stem works for you, I've been tempted a time or two

Susan, I know what you mean about holding a book, I have a Kindle but really prefer a "real" book, that's why I'm at our library every 2 weeks, & the dust accumulates,  Hah

Snicks, driving in those storms is a white knuckle trip, sorry you had to endure that, been there & it's awful

Rosa enjoy your time with DGD, they are such fun & need to be spoiled with love

Bernie, etal, my big problem is with undonateable (is that a word?) items, like underwear, need to be trashed but somehow they get into the wash, then I wear again (one last time) cannot throw out something clean  LOL

Linda hope the termite inspection goes well, we don't have many here in Chicago, at least as far as I know, I think it's certain areas of the Country?

Well I did some weeding to take advantage of the rain soaked ground, sure makes it easier.  Did order a top from evine, they called it tie/dyed, but not quite, I got navy w/white to wear w/white jeans, clearance priced at under $20, have bought some things from them, am satisfied, especially a couple of jackets, the price is right & I get many compliments, but I am trying to curb my "wants" like most I have more than enough to last forever, now to let go, easier said than done.

Hope all have a great day/evening, see ya later

Essie

Valued Contributor

Yes, that is the top.

Respected Contributor

Hi girls!  It's another absolutely gorgeous day. Mark didn't show up yesterday, which had me really PO'd - he finally texted to say he got stuck on another job, so my day was pretty much wasted although I took the dogs for a drive in the evening and picked up a few things for salads at Aldi and Chinese food for my main meal of the day. I'm really getting into the healthier eating and don't miss the snacks at all, although I allow myself one a day.  Well, I just texted him that if he doesn't come today I have to give away the cupcakes I made for him - they're homemade and won't keep for long, so he'll be out of luck and someonen else will be happy. Cat Mad

Good to see you again Rosa; funny how you've been missing since the Moonshine Festival last weekend...  Cat Wink

Sure, Jean, YOU can wear black pants a lot, since your only cat is black!

Since I got a couple of new tops I made myself go through my things and find more to donate; I have another bag almost full. I finally got it through my head that as pretty as all the dresses I have are, it's not likely I'm going to wear them. I'm keeping only my Hawaiian dresses as they're so casual and comfortable, and maybe 2-3 others. It's easier to part with things when I think of how little the missionaries have (they receive only a small stipend for expenses) and how much they'll appreciate them.

Essie, I have a problem with things that aren't good enough to donate as well. With underwear and stuff like that, I either use it as a rag then toss it, or just toss it.  I remember too well when I was younger and wanted to throw out panties that  were torn or stained, I had to take them somewhere in a bag and dispose of them, because my mother would go through the garbage, find them, and wash them. (roll eyes)  One day I went out and noticed I was getting odd looks from people; I later realized that the pantyhose I was wearing had been retrived from the trash and the big hole on the back leg had been mended with heavy black thread.  I don't want to be anything like her with her love of money, and for goodness' sake, panties are inexpensive enough... Cat Frustrated

LindaL, someone who loves that team probably won't care if there's a small hole in the shirt. How's DH doing today?

Susan, enjoy your Costco trip.  The Costco we had in Hawaii was wonderful; the one here, not so much - that's why I let my membership go and switched back to Sam's Club - they have the cutest clothes there, and a nice selection of books, although it's really only the coloring books there that tempt me. Like others of you, I prefer the feel of a "real" book. I get best-sellers from the library, and can usually find others I want at either the buy/sell/trade used bookstore or, better yet, Amazon - often for 1¢. There are a couple of cozy series I buy new, but the prices are best on Amazon.  Anyone remember when paperbacks were 15-25¢ and hardcovers books $2-3?

Jean, that's a good idea, using the elliptical for 10 minutes at a time; I'll have to try that with my Gazelle. 

Have any of you ever eaten at Chicken Salad Chick?  The buses here are covered in ads. which is how I heard of them.. I'm SO sick & tired of ads, ads, and more ads everywhere you look - I'm expecting soon even TP will have ads printed on it.... Anyway, I digress.... Apparently it's a chain, and I was wondering if it's worth a visit.

Bird, how's your buddy Rocky doing?

Well, no word from Mark and I'm not going to waste my day, so I'm going to get dressed and go out.   Hi to everyone - have a blessed day!

Honored Contributor

@FunkyHulaGirl

Rocky seems to be mentally and physiologically fine.  We are just waiting for all of the feathers to come in.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

DH slept well last night, and is doing pretty well so far today.  He doesn't want to take a walk in the wind, but he will come with me to the grocery store later.

Termites are a problem here -- big issue.  They were a problem in Maryland as well.  But, thank goodness, the inspector didn't find any today.

The hospice nurse came early, and she said she thought the place I visited yesterday was the nicest in town.  If DH goes there, she and the caregiver can continue seeing him.  

Sorry about Mark, Arlene.  That would burn me up for sure.

My cell company called with some "wonderful" offers.  More data (only $10 extra a month), a new phone (pay per month or buy on a two year payment plan), and a tablet at a low cost with monthly payments for usage.  I rejected each offer, much to the disappointment of the saleslady.  I don't think she understood that a gold colored phone with all the new bells and whistles didn't convince me to change.  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Susan--It is a bummer that Costco no longer carries a great selection of books. I can remember well the times I would spend hours in bookstores. We now have a small one in the mall but it just isn't the same as the big ones that closed. I loved Borders. Now, any books come from Amazon in both paperback and Kindle version. The house used to be packed with books, so I don't miss that.

Linda--If the shirt only has a small hole in it, I believe someone would likely purchase it. I have seen people wearing clothes with holes in them. I do hope the termite inspection goes well. That is a major problem in our area. Many people who used wood mulch close to their homes discovered they had developed a termite problem as the little critters like the moist condition of the mulch.

Essie--Enjoy the top ordered from Evine. I really need to remove some weeds or grass that is taking over an area near the house. The birds scattered seed from the feeder and it has sprouted big time with the rains of the past days. Right now, we are having a bad storm again. I would like to put weed and grass killer on that area but can't do it until it is dry.

Arlene--Great job on trying to eat healthier. I am sorry that Mark didn't show up. That seems to be a problem with many repairpersons lately, but often it is a reality that they are tied up in a job taking longer than expected. Don't eat the cupcakes!  Never heard of Chicken Salad Chick. I love the cat graphic; Midnight spent some time on my lap and has now returned to the nest of clothes.

I've really had a productive day of tackling files, clothes, etc. I was called to work in the midst of it for the afternoon but I was on a roll so I didn't take the job. I remembered the Japanese insight on keeping/discarding an item. I  decided I liked the shoes but no longer loved them, so they are out for donation. I also made an appointment to have a mammogram done on Election Day in May. I just have to have the PA write an order for it.

I think I'll have a veggie lasagna and salad for dinner, all portion-controlled. What I really would like is Outback's tilapia with crabmeat or the Simply grilled tilapia but it is too far away. I just have to remember that for the next trip to the city whenever I do that.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Well, Mark hasn't even had the courtesy to text me back, so I'm going out - I've been cravinig pizza (haven't had any in ages) and the young man at Jet's not only appreciates my baking, but gives me the employee price on my order.  That's the last time I make anything special for Mark - he's too darned unreliable; he loves his sweets but can buy the store-bought ****** filled with chemicals and HFCS.  Seriously - is there a single honest, competent, reasonably priced,  RELIABLE handyman on the entire planet?  Cat Mad

LindaL, I stick with my old "dumb" phone - I rarely use it apart from calling my  BFF in California once a week or so, and I don't need to have a phone where they can track where I am and what I'm doing.  I value my privacy.

Where's LindaR?  Haven't seen her in a while.

The PJs I'm currently wearing are going into the wash, then into the missions bag - they don't make me happy, so out they go.  I love the print, but can't stand the fabric and the cut of the top.  I'm finding the method of getting rid of anything that doesn't bring me joy works very well...

See you later...

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--Good news about the termite inspection. I have read that the only state not having termites is Alaska where it gets cold enough to kill them. They can cause damage before signs appear of their infestation.

Arlene--There are reputable repairpersons but they usually come with a big fee; those that are reputable but work inexpensively are rare and also in big demand. Good job on the donation. I like your method of determining what should go.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

OK, problem solved - I saw my fireman neighbor's MIL out with the kids, so they got the cupcakes. Your loss, Mark! Go buy yourself some chemical-laden Ding Dongs!  Cat LOL

I did want pizza, but have too much food in the house that has to be eaten - I had leftover orange chicken for lunch, and still have lo mein for another meal, several servings of stuffed cabbage, and of course the things I bought for my light meal of salad, as well as other things. I'll go to Jet's next week for pizza.

Jean, I simply can't afford to pay a handyman $75 an hour; Mark works for me for about $15, since I'm a widow.  I keep telling myself that once the work is done it'll be a long time before I have to deal with him again, but gosh darn, for someone who plays the Christian card, you'd think he'd show some sense of responsibility....  Cat Mad

OK, I'm taking the kids for a drive; we'll go to Walmart to get some ice cream - for them, not me.  Cat Happy

Have a good evening, everyone!