Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, MAY 29)

[ Edited ]

Good Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  Glad you are having nice weather.  Hope you have a good time with your friend tomorrow.  Please don't overdo the de-cluttering.  

I can't do too much at a time, which I know some recommend.  Fortunately, I can usually get off the floor okay , but sometimes I have DH give me a hand when I'm on the floor putting on his shoes.  It makes both of us smile when he does that.  Sorry some of you are dealing with pain, and I hope you can get some relief.  I have heard about turmeric, but I have not purchased the pills yet.  

I have never heard about those exercise/dance DVD's, but it sounds like something I could not master.  I'm not surprised that Kathleen can do so, but not me.  I went to the gym today, and I think that is all I can handle. 

I'm sure your outside work is a lot of exercise, snicks.  Glad your weather is nice today at least.

Sounds like a very nice couple of days for you Essie.  Sorry about the arthritis in your hand.  i never had that problem until recently, and I was amazed how difficult it was do to the simplest things.  Fortunately, it is not hurting much lately.

Hi Barbara -- hope you enjoy the new grill.  I really like grilled food, but have a lot of difficultly grilling things to my satisfaction.  

I remember those pods, Bernie.  They used to really pile up in Maryland, but I have not seen any out here in Arizona.  Many of the plants and trees here are very different than those at "home".  I guess I'll always think of Maryland as home, but Arizona is nice.

Cute story about what you did with those pods as a child, Marijane.  I remember splitting them, but I don't remember putting them on my nose.  Glad you are having nice weather today, and I hope it isn't too bad tomorrow.

I'm enjoying the pictures you post on FB, Kathleen.  Hope your DD is doing fine, and her Mom is coping.  Not easy when you and your DH are having trouble finding jobs you love, etc.  

Very sorry to hear about your two friends, twinny.  I will certainly keep them in my prayers.  Glad the wedding and graduations were fun.  

Waves to Arlene (your handyman is certainly reasonable -- happy to hear the AC vents are repaired), LindaR, Susan, Charlene, Rosa, Karen, pinky ann, Gayle, butterfly, and all of our posters and readers.

DH did not get up last night, but unfortunately, I think he should have.  At least I have the waterproof  mattress pad on now.  I needed to wash the sheets first thing in the morning.  He made messes last night and this morning (not too bad), but I guess he is doing fairly well.  The caregiver was on time this morning, so I made it to church in plenty of time, and then changed quickly and made it to the gym.  She said that DH kept walking around, and went into the bed.  But, I got him up both times when I came home. 

Nothing exciting planned for today.  I talked to his DD, and she does not want his large suitcase.  So, I will get it from the storage room and add it to my donation pile.  I may not have quite as much as Jean has, but I do have a lot of things to donate.  

Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Hi girls! It's another hot, beautiful day out; I never did make it out yesterday, but hopefully can take my babies for a drive later. I thought I'd zip through my homework, but I'm having a difficult time with some of it. I used to be an accounting manager for a brokerage firm, but this week's class is about various financial ratios that have to do with manufacturing, and I'm just able to wrap my mind around it. I finally gave up last night; I'll get back to it in a little while.

Love the cartoon, Jean; sadly, most younger people are clueless as to what Memorial Day is all about. It made me angry to read about all the veterans' memorials that have been defaced in the last few days, and the elderly veteran who was beaten with his own oxygen tank. Cat Mad

Both Autumn and Honeybun have been jumping into the fish pond to cool off. I don't like that they do that - and I'm sure the fish don't either - so I filled the baby pool I have for them. They wouldn't go near it, and when I tried to lift them into it, you'd think I was killing them!  Angelica seems to have an aversion to water.

Hope the tumeric works for you, Essie; I'm a big fan of natural remedies.  Take a look over here for some more ideas. 

As for exercise, I watched a YouTube video yesterday (Clean My Space - she has some great cleaning tips) that said even doing light cleaning you burn 100 calories and hour, and considerably more for heavy cleaning.  I still hate it...  Cat Frustrated

Marijane, you're so right...we used to find joy in the simplest things; kids these days have no concept of innocent fun using use the things around them - they think you have to be "plugged in" all the time.  Cat Sad  They don't know how much they're missing!

Barbara, I can relate to difficulty getting up because of my bad knee; I try to not kneel unless absolutely necessary. On the rare times I kneel to pray, God knows I really mean business!  Cat LOL

Praying for your friends, twinny - that was quite a fall!

Bird, I know that Mark is in his own little world, but that's no way to do business - show up when you say you'll show up; if you're running late, call!  I appreciate that he does good work and for cheap, but he really is an obnoxious little man.  That constant coughing up phlegm and spitting because of his smoking is disgusting; when we went to Lowe's he kept spitting out the window, which was embarrassing - I kept hoping no one who knows me saw me with him, and I certainly didn't want anyone to think I was "with" him. Ugh! Oh well, it's just for a short time; I try and keep as far away from him when he's here as I can.   Cat Frustrated I did tell him off when he complained about my cats though (he hates cats) - he's no one to talk with that filthy habit of his. 

I guess I've procrastinated long enough - and the sooner I start, the sooner I'll be through.  (sigh) 

Have a blessed day, everyone! 

Respected Contributor

Hi, LindaL! Sorry to hear about the messes, but thank goodness for waterproof mattress pads, huh? They've saved my mattress topper many a time.  I'm praying for you!

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--I'm reading one of those minamalist books I downwloaded to the Kindle. It will take me forever to get rid of the excess. If I look at items I haven't used for a year, I think I will be very busy. The problem is maintaining the motivation. Oh what that books says about kitchens and gadgets!!!

Kathleen--I also enjoy the pictures you post. I know you miss DD but at the same time are also excited for her to be able to enjoy these adventures and travel.

Bernie--I know the neighbor probably should be taking care of her area but if it eventually impacts upon you then it makes sense to go ahead and do the neighbors while you do yours as it liikely would migrate to your property. I have a neighbor with a huge tree. He never rakes the leaves so they all end up on my back property.

Arlene--When I was growing up, Memorial Day weekend was a big family event. People gathered at the cemetaries to decorate the graves and then would have a family picnic afterwards. Sometimes, that would be the only time some family members would be seen as they traveled long distances to remember those of their family who had died. Now, the young might make a visit to a cemetary close by, if at all, but not travel  distances. When I am gone, there will be no one doing it. I know how upset my parents got if they couldn't make the trip on time because of weather, etc. 

Marijane--I remember doing something similar with those pod type things from trees. I don't think kids have fun with the outdoors anymore unless it involves electronics. They are not developing imagination, just using what is programmed for them.

Twinny--I am so sorry that your friendds  summer plans will be put in jeopardy because of the injuries. Do enjoy your outing at the pastor's home. You deserve to enjoy it after your stressful year.

I have the car loaded with stuff. The only place empty is the front passenger seat. I guess that gives me an excuse to take a break. We just got an alert that a storm is coming. Hopefully, it won't be too bad.

I am having coffee with a new coffeemaker I purchased yesterday. I think the other was nearing its end of usefulness, so it needed to be donated before it died as it is hard to get rid of "dead" items. The old coffee maker is in the car.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Valued Contributor

Hello Everyone, It's been awhile since I've posted, just thought I'd stop in with an update... It's been a long haul for DH, but thankfully he's making progress slowly but surely. The orthopedist was shocked at how well his shoulder has healed so far. He told him a replacement wouldn't have been any more successful than how it has healed on it's own. He's using the oxygen more lately, as it's been humid the past few days, so it remains to be seen whether he really will be going off it, or will it end up being a permanent thing after all. 

I've got the house and deck ready for our family to come tomorrow and cook out. It's been tough with being so humid outside, as it really bothers me, but temperatures haven't gone higher than about 85 degrees. A breeze has picked up in the last hour or so which should help clear the air, and drop temps down closer to  the 80 degrees expected for tomorrow.The cemetery is too far of a trip for this year, so I hope the plants I put in last year took root, and are back up again. I planted Sedums, as they seem to  grow very well for me despite whatever the weather brings.

The deck rug ended up staying inside. Once I saw how cute it was, I decided to put it upstairs in the spare bedroom, and make it into a readiing room for myself. I bought a super comfy Catnapper recliner, and an ottoman that goes nicely with it to be my reading chair and perch for  books, my netbook, or whatever comes to mind. I have an old storage trunk as an end table, with a driftwood lamp on top. I'll try to see if I can remember how to post photos. It turned out very cozy, and I love it! DH has the tv on so much downstairs, that it's nice to have the quiet and be able to concentrate.

Twinny, I'm sorry to hear about your friends. I'll pray for their  full recoveries. I  hope things will calm down for you so you can get some rest and heal.

Good work to everyone clearing out and paring down. Miss Minimalist has a post titled " Peak Stuff" that really hit home for me. So many of hers do though, and I recommend the site to anyone wanting to simplify, no matter how much or how little..

I've got to run as its' suppertime for us. I'll stop back later on if I can. pinky

Respected Contributor

You all are so sweet!  DD is doing good, bored on the ship and almost to Guam for supplies.  A lot of "hurry up and wait".  She calls every 2-3 days but sometimes we don't talk much.  Not much to say and phone sometimes is awful and cuts out. 

DH and I are doing ok.  Trying to stay off the emotional treadmill that I experience while job hunting. I'm really having a hard time finding jobs with benefits to apply for. It would be that much harder for DH to leave if I don't have some benefits for us here. Unless he gets a job here first, then I could take anything.  So, life is tricky. It's always something, don't you think?  Never happy in EVERY area.

I've been lazing around and now feel some energy coming back. Bought that Apple guard leather conditioner and conditioned all my bags last night.  I'm not sure it did anything for them but it makes me feel better.  <grin>

Esteemed Contributor

Kathleen--Job hunting is a challenging process and an emotional one. So many places now are downsizing or eliminating benefits in favor of the employee picking up private insurance, etc. There is a major employer in our state which is debating what to do, and even the elimination of retirement benefits for those already retired may be on the chopping block.  That business has a local office and employess a block from me and is a major employer in the oil and gas field. 

I do hope you can find a satisfactory job. In the meantime, it is quite all right to treat your bags well with the conditioner. It will help them last....and also make you feel better.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

@Rock_chick

Kathleen, I'm not being funny, I don't really need to lose weight.  I suppose cardio would benefit my heart, lol.  Does it help tone? 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Genny1

Marijane, even at my age, I still toss those silver maple pods up in the air to watch them twirl around to the ground, before I bag them up.

I remember as a kid there being chestnut trees in the neighborhood.  Kids have small fingers and I remember my dad hollowing out a chestnut and me wearing it as a ring.

I also remember making chestnut necklaces - crude with twine.  Boy I thought I was hot stuff - statement necklaces weren't quite the rage then, he he he.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Valued Contributor

Hello,

Our kitchen appliances are on their last leg.  We shopped around and found the Lowe's had the better deal.  This weekend is tax free for energy star items so between the discounts and  the tax free offering, I feel like we did well on the pricing.  I also found out that out of all the stores we shopped, Lowe's had the best prices on extended warrantys.  I used to not get those, but have found them to be worth it on fridges and dishwashers.  I mean they were about a third of what Sears was charging and the coverage was similar.  Just wanted to pass that on. 

I ran in the 5K run last Friday.  It was to honor fallen military heroes.  The weather was warm but overcast and breezy.  So that made it much easier.  If it had been direct sunshine and still, I think it would have been much harder to do (for me, anyway). 

We went to a neighbors, last evening, for his 78th birthday party.  He is a bachelor and has recently started to learn to cook.  It is exciting to see him move on with his life.  His wife of 28 years walked out on him last year.  He is a dear friend and seeing him have fun was wonderful.  He really deserves to be happy.  Well, that is it on this end.  I hope everyone is having a good weekend.