Respected Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, NOV. 28)

We had a front blow in yesterday afternoon.  Brought rain and dropped temps a lot.  At least we don't have ice and the heavy rains some areas got with flooding.

LindaL:  You and your DH are special to me---I think of you often and you are certainly in my prayers.  It is so diffiuclt to watch our loved ones decline. 

I haven't been enticed by any deals  I really don't have any specific needs.  I do need to pick up a few smaller gifts---but hopefully it won't be too stressful. 

Twinny:  Glad to hear you can visit.  Sounds like the nursing care stays on top of things. 

Honored Contributor

I don't know if we have any National Lampoon Christmas Vacation fans out there.  If we do, I am having a Clark Griswald kind of day regarding exterior illumination.

I was listening to Christmas music on the radio as I drove to the recycling center this early afternoon.  That got me thinking - Bernie, don't be such a poop, get your exterior Christmas lights up.  All that involves is attaching a clear rope with multicolor lights embedded in it to the attached garage gutter and stringing some multicolor lights around the perimeter of the small front porch roof.  I also decorate my yard lamp post.

I love my little giant ladder.  I don't use it often enough to flip it around like the guy on QVC (lol) so I wrestled that bad boy out of the garage and said, hey clean the gutters.  It's cold here by the way.  So I do the garage like a regular ladder and do the front porch like an extension ladder.  More than once, the ladder got away from me and it looked like we were dancing. Incidentally, the ladder was leading.

All this time, I have the radio on in my car, the hatchback up so I can hear the music and the garage door open. 

So I get the gutters cleaned out.  I go into the house to fetch the garage lights as I had them inside for at least an hour to warm up and be flexible.  While wearing suede gloves, I fight the clips to get them on the garage gutter and then start stringing the light rope.  I did test the rope when I first got outside. 

Mid way through, I can't feel my feet - they were cold and I was not wearing boots.  I have the light rope plugged into a socket because I feel cheerful stringing lights that are lit.  That's when I notice a portion at the end goes dark.  I say, hey don't worry, as long as the lights across the garage are okay, you'll be fine Bernie, that end is excess anyway.

Then a big section in the middle goes out.  I step off the ladder, say I'll be a son of a bird (wink) and that's when I hear Don Ho singing Mele Kalikimaka on the radio. 

I dropped my head like a defeated person and took down the light strand.  I did decorate the front yard lamp post and am debating whether or not I want to futz with the front porch lights. 

Lunch/supper is heating up in the oven.  I figured it was best to stop, get something to eat and let the frustration just melt away.

He he he

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Almost done with tree, not counting all the time finessing it I will do later, once I get the white birds and red birds put on and make up my mind on what topper. I knew that once I started it would be ok, just had trouble starting this year, for some reason.
"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bernie--There are not words sufficient to respond. Let's just say I am super exhausted from reading, and at the point where all lights went out, I would consider decorating completed for the season. Enjoy the comfort food; you more than need it!!

Snicks--You just can't keep a good girl down! You and Bernie are in a competition for the hardest worker. I do hope you are feeling much better.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

@KonaKat

Jean, I am wondering whether or not is was a 'sign', rofl.  If nothing else, my sense of humor always wins out.  

Respected Contributor

Jean, I did a lot of shopping. First with DD, bought her some boots and a watch and boot socks, and Brighton necklace for me. Then DH's daughter Towne Square mall. Bought her and the Grandson what they wanted and a top for myself at American Eagle. Took my sis to the Fashion Show mall and bought some very soft fuzzy socks. It was fun.
Respected Contributor

Linda, Mr heart goes out to you. None of us wants to consider our spouse's passing. I am glad that you are well educated on options and I think you will know what is right as you go along.
Respected Contributor

Twinny I do miss snow! Last winter got several go rounds in our Northern location and it was lovely! Had to drive in it too! I Don't think it will snow at all in Houston and if it does in the Hill Country it won't stick.
Valued Contributor

Hello All,

I have been on this forum sporadically lately but still enjoy reading everyone's update.  I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving.  For those with health concerns and/or family members struggling with health concerns, my heart goes out to you.  Linda, is there a way that you can have physical therapy evalutate and recommend a home program that you or caregivers can oversee before officially going on the hospice program?   Maybe a thought, and hope I am not overstepping by even mentioning such a thing. 

We definitely had a cold front come through.  We went from 80 to about 45 degrees.  I have done most of my Christmas shopping online, so far, but yesterday I did go to Kohls to buy a pressure cooker.  It was a good deal and wih the coupon, rebate and sale price I was about to get a 6 quart pressure cooker for around 40 dollars.  They tend to go for 100 dollars or more. 

Well, off to watch some football and to eat snacks. 

Have a good one.   Gayle

Honored Contributor

@Gayle2

It was nice seeing you stop by.  Enjoy the game.