Trusted Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, JULY 23)

Good morning everyone - or afternoon if you're back east.  Jean - I've never been crazy about change, so it's a good reminder for me.  You're right about companies being bought and sold - nothing really stays the same.  Your mention of Bliss reminds me that I really love their lemon and sage body butter.  I bought some at Marshall's.  It's great.  meallen616 - cute doggie pic!  3suwm5 - glad that the BBQ benefit was a success.  Essie - you're getting so much done, hope the work goes smoothly.  This may sound strange to many of you, but where I live (southern CA), almost nobody has basements.  If I had a cool one, that's where I'd be.  

It's hot here too.  Sometimes it gets humid here, but we are in a dry heat wave now.  When you open the door it feels like a blast from a furnace.  Yuck.  My DH and I did get the goat pens cleaned out at least.  During the summer we also have to clean the waterers out with bleach to kill algae growth, and hang up extra stinky fly traps.  The goats we have are Nubians.  They have long ears, kind-of like that picture meallen61 posted of the dog  The long ears help them to stay cool, so it's a good thing our DD chose this breed.

I finished my filing yesterday, though I still have typing of info to work on.  I will alternate that with some cleaning.  I need to get caught up on certain types of cleaning before we clean our carpet this week.  Who knew that the unused bedroom had so much dust and cat fur all over the place??? Yikes.  The good thing is that there's no rush.  I can pace myself.  Stay cool everybody!  ~  Charlene

Trusted Contributor

Hi Snicks, we must have posted at the same time.  I hope that your DD likes the new company that she'll be driving for, and that your other DD will choose the employer that's the best fit for her.  It's nice that she has multiple choices!  

3suwm5 - forgot to mention that I like your saying "remember that wonderful thing called the SAVINGS ACCOUNT.  It's not what you make, it's what you keep."  Good advice, lol.  Just 2 days ago I decided to open up a new "sub-account" with my online bank.  I have CDs with them, and I have a savings account labeled "Emergency Fund".  They allow you to open multiple savings accounts with different names, so I opened a new account and called it the "Car Fund", so I can specifically start saving money for a new car.  Unfortunately I was having problems getting the new account registered correctly.  All of my accounts with that bank are registered to our Revocable Living Trust.  Finally I called and asked for help.  Turns out that it wasn't user error, lol.  I was told by the employee that for several months they won't be able to open accounts in the name of a trust, but they will in the future.  So, I had to go back to just having the one savings account.  I was kind-of hoping that I would feel more excited about putting money in the new account.  Oh well, long story, but it did have to do with savings accounts!

Honored Contributor

It's hot here too.  I have the sprinkler going for the birds and squirrels, if no one else.

I went to the dentist and picked up the flexible partial.  Thank goodness it's for a couple of teeth way in the back.  I wore it over 2 hours, even ate with it and it's now resting in it's container.  I see her next in August for my 6 months cleaning and we'll get it straightened out then, if I don't take the dremel to it before then, he he he.

I wore a retainer for 10 years after my braces were taken off - I'm pretty good at adjusting appliances for the mouth.  She was booked and squeezed me in for the delivery fo the partial, and even though we adjusted it a couple of times, I was aware quitting time was fast approaching for her office.

It's all good - I've lived without it for several years so I ain't cryin about it.

I think this is a music weekend - even my Saturday westerns aren't moving me today.  Decades TV is having a Kojak marathon this weekend.  A little Kojak goes a long way, he he he.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Hi girls!  It's another hot day, but a bit overcast.  No pool as of yet, but the replacement vacuum cleaner arrived, much sooner than I had expected.  I'd recommend Eureka to anyone - their customer service is the best! Cat LOL

Last night we took a ride to Walmart just to get out of the house; they had the Independence Day candy on clearance - Hershey's Kisses and Miniatures wrapped in red, white, and blue, and also red, white, and blue Twizzlers.  Unfortunately it's too hot to mail chocolates to the troops, but I did get them a half dozen packages of Twizzlers. I guess I could get some chocolates and hold on to them until it's cooler, but the temptation of having them around would be too great.  Cat Wink

I sold back a textbook to Amazon that I had purchased from them; it was marked "International Copy," but I had no problem with it.  Well, they rejected it and are sending it back, which angered me - that's what they sent me when I put in the ISB number!  So I called and complained, and they gave me a $10 credit to my account (I'd have gotten $14 and change for the book), and I can sell the book myself, which I'll do, so I'll come out ahead.  I also got a credit for an item I purchased two weeks ago from another seller and never received - what on earth is wrong with people these days?  What ever happened to responsibility? 

Love the pic, meallen; my Angelica has big, floppy ears like that.

Bird, I used to like Kojak; I'm still working my way through the old House M.D. episodes on Netflix. Now that you've mentioned Kojak I want some Tootsie Pops! Cat Happy

Good advice on saving, 3suwm5. I was reading yesterday that 65% of people/families don't even have $1,000 set aside for emergencies. It's comforting to have at least a little set aside, in case one of my furbabies gets sick or something.

Oh Essie...you made me think of my basement...  I haven't been down there in months, but glanced down the stairs when I went to get something from the pantry I set up behind the door.  It looks like Mark left a real mess when he fixed the air ducts. Cat Mad  I'll have to go down there one of these days - I still haven't contacted Lowe's as my doctor told me to to have a railing put on the stairs, which they do free if you have a disability - but I'm going to have to straighten up the mess before I have them in.  I'm liking that guy less and less... 

Charlene, in some areas people just don't have basements; many homes here don't have them, and they're unheard of in Hawaii. (Many houses there are post & pier; people store things under the house.) I guess it depends on the area of the country and the need for one.  The Nubian goats are beautiful!

Enjoy the potluck, twinny. I miss a good potluck like the ones we used to have at my church in Hawaii.  That church I was going to here for a short time, OTOH, had the worst potlucks ever!  I hadn't been there in months, partly because the pastor was promoting some false teaching and partly because I used to get really, really sick in that building - but I passed there recently and it's gone - it's like it had never been there!  I looked at their FB page and nothing was said there; postings just stopped.  I wonder what happened?

Enjoy your trip to the city, Jean.  I enjoy eating out for a change of pace, and also because it's nice to be able to eat without being surrounded by critters who give you a soulful look as if they haven't eaten in days - not to mention one greedy little rascal who tries to swipe food off my plate!  The pillows are tempting - I need to replace mine soon.  For those who have them, are they really that good?  Normally I like down pillows...but these are much cheaper.

LindaL, hope you're having a good day with no problems.

I guess I should start thinking about lunch, then I have no excuse to not vaccum. Boy, do these floors need it!  Cat Surprised The old vacuum cleaner is going in the trash, but I removed the hoses and the container, just in case I need them - and of course the extensions might come in handy as well. 

Have a blessed day, everyone!

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon!  Thanks for getting us started, Jean.  No TSV for me either.  I like a different type -- used to be sold at the "Sleep Number" stores, I think.  Contour pillow may be the name.  Anyway, I can buy them at Bed, Bath, and Beyond and elsewhere now.  Everyone has their own pillow favorites, so I'm sure some like your cousin really love the "My Pillows".  You are so right about change.  I don't always embrace change, but I try my best to deal with it when change comes.  I must admit to being pretty anxious about the change coming to my life with DH going into the memory care facility.  But, I really believe this is the right decision for both of us.  

Our Turkish friend (lady) came over this morning.  She was the one who sat with DH a few times last Fall while I was taking Olli classes.  Anyway, she was surprised at DH's condition, and very sympathetic to me.  

I hope your trip to the city goes well, and you don't melt.  I think our temperatures are predicted to be nearly as high as in Jennifer's area.  But, fortunately, there are no nearby fires as far as I know.

Call from DD -- her AC is broken.  I'll be back.

Honored Contributor

Temp report, right now it is 95 with a feels like temp of 116. I just ran a couple errands and nearly melted, lol.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@Snicks1

It's not safe to be out there, seriously.

Respected Contributor

I JUST CAN'T WIN!!!!!  Cat Mad

I got another moron of a seller on eBay; he messaged me to tell me that he looked at the pool (WHICH COMES IN A BOX!!!!!) and it's "not in fit condition to sell."  Seriously?  That's IT for shopping on eBay - I'm sick and tired of the flakes and irresponsible idiots there.  He told me he refunded my Paypal account - I DON'T HAVE A PAYPAL ACCOUNT!!!!!  Now I have to waste MORE time trying to find out what happened to my money...  Cat Mad

I looked for the pool on Walmart, where I saw it in the first place - I figured at this point I'd rather pay a little more but at least be sure I'll get it.  There was ONE left, and the price was reduced to $50.  I ordered it, and it's supposed to be here Saturday - I'll believe it when I see it.  Meanwhile, thanks to Mark, I have a great big pool sitting unused...  Cat Mad  I can't even relax on my back porch because there are no screens - yet another job he was supposed to do...

I did order the pillows but on check status - I want to check out the reviews of them in various places.

LindaL, don't second guess yourself - you're doing what's right for both you and DH. I'm sure he wouldn't want you to put your own health at risk; I continue to pray for you. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FunkyHulaGirl

You got a hose and sprinkler?  Channel your inner child, sit on a lawn chair and let the sprinkler just rain on ya.

I'm watering my backyard not only for the trees but the squirrels and birds and I let the sprinkler hit me once or twice while I am out there.

Respected Contributor

Thanks, Bird, but if I wanted to just have water sprinkle on me I'd take a shower.  I want to relax in the sun with a book and a cold drink. 

Interesting - my tracker blocker has QVC tracking people with TWENTY TWO trackers!