Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, AUGUST 1)

Good morning, shopping friends. I did wait to see if someone else would start the thread but I guess you are stuck with me.

We have a new month!! How fast did July pass!! Are you happy with your shoppiing control, your expenditures, and other areas of your life? Looking back at July, is there any area that can be improved? What are your goals for August?

Goals are important. Goals are like oars in a boat in a river; without oars, the boat will drift and possibly on a course you don't like. Without goals, you don't have a focus to steer your activities for the month.

Looking back at the past month, is there a purchase area in which you can cut back this month? Do you have a stash big enough to supply you for a period of time? Do you really need the latest and greatest of any item? Do you give thanks for what you have? Do you have a financial goal or expenditure in mind for the future that makes little cut backs easier to handle? Motivation is a great reinforcer!!

I'll continue using my budget spreadsheet program. I enter the information daily so I am kept on top of expenditures in each category.  I have a "subscribe and save" shipment coming from Amazon in late August. I will be looking to see if I can trim something from it.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, AUGUST 1)

Hello.  If it's okay, I'm copying Susan's post here as Jean beat her by 4 minutes (lol):

Good afternoon ladies, hope all is well.

I think summer is offically over, we are down to 77 degrees today. Ususally when the temps. go from 90's to the 70's they do not rebound.  I have to admit it is still beautiful out, I may have to open a couple windows, the breeze is wonderful.

Went to Marshals this morning, and found a pair of jeans that fit me, of course there was only one pair so buying a couple pairs was not in the plan.  I do need to find a couple more pairs, my jeans are looking very sad and faded. 

That is all the shopping for me today, what is everyone up to?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Jean and Susan - thank you both for getting us started today.  It does seem like August snuck up on me this year :-)

Jean - I'm pretty pleased with the shopping I did last month.  The clarisonic should last a really long time since I only use it a couple of times a week.  I bought another pair of leather driving mocs in the same style as a previous pair.  Best part this time was I saved another $7 or $8 on the second pair.  My Ross Simons bracelet arrived, which is about $20 cheaper than the Novica bracelet that I returned.  I've been paying extra principal on my mortgage and the goal through the rest of the year is increase what I am sending by another $250.  It's been working the last couple of months.  Since I receive a monthly statement, it's easy to see my progress.  For example, I wanted the remaining principal balance to be under $50k by my 53rd birthday later this month.  The house payment isn't due until 9-1, but I wrote out the two checks this morning so I can meet the birthday goal - at least in my head (lol).

We have a new baby coming to the family this month and since it's a second child for my niece, they are not having a shower.  Since I don't hav a large family, I've allotted $150 for a welcome to the world gift :-)

New baby should have new things in my mind.

I've got a crown that's being replaced this month and the process starts this Thursday.  It's been awhile, so I'm not sure what my copayment will be.  I usually pay half to start the work and half when I see the new crown.  Yes, I have looked at a crown and said, that color is ugly, do it again (maybe twice in my life).  So nobody gets full payment until I like it and let you glue it in my head. 

Susan - I have my windows open too - Opened them when I got home from work yesterday, left the opened just a little over night and am enjoying the fresh air until the humidity increases.  I think we're expecting rain this weekend.  Congrats on finding a pair of jeans.  Jeans shopping can be a real pita.

QUESTION - Do any of you wear a wire free bra.  I wear a model (4108) by Barely There that seems to be discontinued.  I like a wire free bra that has some shaping and a little padding.  I was never really busty, but man did menopause do a number on my chest.  I don't want a bra that gives me pancake chest or uniboob.  Anyone have experience with Warner bras?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bernie--Thank you for copying Susan's post. Your Clarisonic should last a long time. I  have had mine two years and it is still working well. I just recharge it when it starts to gasp for battery breath. Paying extra on any type of loan really reduces the amount of interest paid on it. Good job!!  The new baby in the family is definitely a priority for your budgeting. Keep up the great financial work in all areas! As for the wireless bra, I don't use one of them. I use a Bali Minimizer that is wired but the wire doesn't bother me.

I just downloaded 4 Kindle books free from Amazon, so I know what I will be doing. I rarely pay for a book and some of the free ones have gone to a price after I downloaded them. I tracked one year's selection of books I downloaded free and saw that they went to a total of over $250.

The only time I pay for a book is when I really like an author such as Stephen King, or I get hooked on a series in which the intro book was free. Yes, they know what they are doing when they offer the first book free. Let us hook the customer and get some money out of them. As it is often said, "there is no such thing as a free lunch" but sometimes the free books don't lead to another in a series...or if it does, I can resist. One of my favorite "Star Trek" phrases is "Resistance is not futile."

I did order yesterday's TSV for the vet and her staff.They take great care of my "baby" when I am gone and I consider them family. That is a minor expense compared to what people spend who have families. My nieces and I do not exchange gifts as they focus upon their children, etc. which I feel is more appropriate.

I've been streaming programs from Netflix to resist any visual stimulation to buy provided by shopping channels on Saturday. Right now, I feel an urge to tackle the Kindle.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon!  Thanks for getting us started Jean and Susan.  It is pretty amazing that it is August already, but here we are.  Glad you are happy with your progress, Jean, and enjoy your new books.

Good for you finding new jeans, Susan.  They are usually a very difficult item to find.  I would love to be able to have a nice breeze, but that isn't going to happen any time soon here in southern Arizona.  We did have one day in July that was very nice.

You are doing a great job with the house payoff, Bernie.  Suze Orman would be proud of you.  LOL  (And, Dave Ramsey as well.)  Sorry I can't help with the bra selection.  I ended up going to a bra shop to find a bra that works for me.  Not cheap, but I have been able to find it on sale sometimes (on-line).  One time, I put on one of my old bras by mistake, and couldn't get it off quick enough -- digging into my sides, etc.  That resulted in getting those old bras out of the drawer.

The eBags item is the packing cubes, and I think they may come in time after all.  They sent them by FedEx slow poke, but it looks like they are on the way to the Post Office today.  Fingers crossed.

I think years ago we found those inexpensive ice cream cones, twinny.  Maybe they will return.  

I'm not much of an ice cream person -- when I lived alone, I could buy a pint and it would get freezer burn since I didn't eat it.  But, DH is an extreme ice cream lover.  He does like the Blue Bell, Kathleen.  But, not enough to give up ice cream since it is out of production.

I would like to send out prayers to Arlene -- so sorry all those bad things happened to you.  But, please hang in there.

Waves to Kathleen, Arlene, twinny, Barbara, Charlene, Marijane, snicks, LindaR, Rosa, Karen, Gayle, and all of our posters and readers.

I have an 80th birthday party to attend today -- should be fun.  And, I'm doing my usual laundry and financial review.  DH and I had a nice walk this morning, and I hope to do my strong bones workout at home.

I was pretty upset to receive a letter from our doctor's office saying that he is leaving in September.  It seems like no one will be taking over that practice, so they gave us names of other doctors who are accepting new patients.  Once we select one, we can get our records.  This really stinks in my opinion, but no one asked my opinion. Oh well....

Have a good day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Jean & Susan thanks for getting us started today. I had a very productive morning as I washed all of the floors then took my moped downtown to the library & then to Farmer's Market across the street. I couldn't find DH any paperbacks to read while we are traveling, but I did buy some cucumbers & beets. I like to roast them in the oven. JEAN, I didn't do any major shopping damage last month. You do a great job with your expenses. My goal for this month is to do as much as I can without exhausting myself. Since it will be cooler next week my first goal is to use the cleaning liquid on my dining room table & chairs that I used to clean my cupboards a few weeks ago. DH's goal is for us to do some traveling every month until the snow flies. We started in March, so it has been a fun time for us. SUSAN, We have had the windows open all night for a while so it is nice & cool when we wake up. The A/C has been on but usually only in the afternoons. I love the 70's so my dream will be coming true next week again. Glad you could find a pair of jeans that fit you nicely & good luck in the search for more of them. BIRD MAMA, I love it when we can have the windows open. Nothing like a great breeze. You are doing a fabulous job of paying your home off sooner than needed. Have fun with the new baby. It looks like you have made a few very nice purchases, Good luck with a new crown next week. My DH is going in on Monday to see what can be done for him. He completely lost a crown last week. I guess you couldn't lose part of one could you. DUH for me!!! LL, Have fun at your 80's birthday party today. We are going to an 80th birthday party in 2 weeks. Then we are going to one of my BIL's pool party the end of August at which time we will all be celebrating my MIL's 90th birthday. I don't care for ice cream, but DH has a need for it every night. Being on a SF diet though he is quite restricted to what he should be eating. The McDonald's 49 cent cone was not SF, but it was a fun treat for him. Tomorrow is our monthly church potluck so I will be soon making my fruit salad & getting my hot dish ready to go into the oven tomorrow morning. The couple that celebrated their 50th anniv. last week at the nearby park will be there so our church is having a nice cake made for their honor.
Honored Contributor

Jean - all I can say is WOW to the $250 savings on your free reading material.  I think places like Amazon trade on the fact the folks won't pay attention or really use their membership to their advantage.  It's not just Amazon either - all retailers do it. 

LindaL - have fun at the birthday party.  I am so sorry that your doctor is leaving.  Starting over with someone new is a drag.

Twinny - when it comes to restorative work in the mouth, I could write a small pamphlet (if not a book - lol).  The last time I broke a crown at the gumline, tooth was extracted (by an oral surgeon).  It's lovely that your church is recognizing the couple who celebrated their 50 year anniversary.

BRA Update - after nearly making myself crazy, I discovered Hanes relaunched my favorite bra, removing the Barely There.  Different item number but looks just like the one I am wearing.  Same price range too.  So now I am debating ordering some new bras as Kohls is having a buy one, get one 50% off.  They do that all the time though (lol).

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Linda--You will enjoy those eBags packing cubes. I have used them for years. Enjoy the birthday party. I am sorry that you are losing your doctor and need to find a new one. It takes time to build a relationship and that is so important in the treatment process.

Bernie--I get my bras at OneHanesPlace.com when they have good sales. Even the regular prices are usually lower than the store prices. I've never had any luck getting bras in a store as the style I like is usually limited in sizes unless it is some atrocioius color that few people want. I am one of Amazon's Kindle First readers, which gives me an expensive book once a month in exchange for possible review before Amazon releases it to the general public for sale. I didn't factor that cost in. The one I just got will cost $4.99 when Amazon releases it to the public.

Twinny--You do a remarkable job on keeping on tops of things and managing to be busy, travel, etc. with the health challenges you have. You mentioned ice cream. I wouldn't mind having some right now. 90th birthday for MIL? That is quite an achievement. My mother lived to be 90.

Arlene is in the midst of a personal crisis right now. She has requested prayers for support. I just finished talking with her.

Honored Contributor

Jean, I will pray for Arlene.  I am sorry that she is in a bad place right now.  

Trusted Contributor

Good afternoon ladies, hope all is well.

Bernie - Please feel free to move my posts like that, I don't know how you do it.  Congrats on the new one in the family, I think the baby will be spoiled by you.  Good job on paying the morgage down quickly.

Jean - Glad you got some books off Amazon for your kindle, I hardly use mine ( I still love holding a book when I read), I do love my kindle for travel though.  Good job on the no purchases, I have purchased some things, but, I am more choosey on what I am purchasing.

Arlene - I am sorry about the problems, I am wishing you the best of luck and success.

LindaL - I hope your get your packing cubes, I use some when I travel and I do like them.  Have fun at your party today.  I am an ice cream lover, I don't keep it in the house very often, I will and have eaten the whole half gallon in no time at all.  And I wonder why I have a weight problem.

Twinny - You did have a very productive morning, please come to my house tomorrow.

Well off to do a couple things, DH's daughter and her family are coming for a week and I need to pick up the bedroom the girls are going to sleep in. I do a mess going on there. 

Have a good day everyone.