Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, AUG 29)

Barbara, It was nice to read your Hawaii updates in the daily and weekly threads.  I talked to my SIL in AZ last weekend.  I have not laid eyes on her since DH died in 2007.  I speak to her several times per year (marathon calls) and trade cards, notes (with all in laws in AZ) all year long.  This woman isn't blood and I feel closer to her than some family. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Morning!  Thanks for getting us started, Jean.  And, I hope you can relax and take it today.  Interesting story about that road -- I don't know why that seems to be a common pattern.  Maybe they are just very slow at reacting to problems?  I did not look at the TSV, but I do like the idea of home exercise equipment.  Just no room here, and I have easy access to fitness centers.  Like you, I do enjoy walking as well.  So, guess that is another TSV that will not be coming to our house.

Hi snicks, hope you have a nice, relaxing day.

That is some picture of your street, Bernie.  I have never had a garage, but we do have a carport here.  I agree that street parking is not ideal.  One of my cars was parked on the street when a large tree branch fell on it -- tons of damage.  And, another time when we had a shared driveway, the other homeowner managed to hit my car when he backed out of the driveway.  At least, his wife left a note, and I could have the car repaired.

I so agree with you about relatives, and I have experienced similar problems/issues with mine.  Oh well....  Good that you are close to your AZ SIL.  Love those boots by the way. 

Good for you only buying one thing from COSTCO, Susan.  I have purchased a couple of things a few times, but I really hate waiting in those lines when I only have a couple of things -- usually, I'm behind someone buying so much stuff.  Hope your weather stays warm a little longer.  

Glad you are getting over your jet lag, Barbara.  Happy you had a nice time in Hawaii.

Waves to Kathleen, Arlene, twinny, Marijane, LindaR, Charlene, Rosa, Gayle, Karen, pinky ann, and all of our posters and readers.

DH and I had a nice walk, and I plan a produce run in a little while.  Meanwhile, I'm doing laundry and my regular financial review will come later.  

I spent a bunch of time on the phone with my broker yesterday -- trying to change investments in DGD's 529 account since she will probably start college early.  The first guy I talked to was clueless.  I honestly think that I know more about investing than he does, and that is pathetic.  He sent me two incorrect forms by e-mail, and when I tried to follow-up, he had left for the day or something.  Thank goodness,the second guy knew what he was doing (and found out additional information from the 529 experts.)  Yikes!

Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Honored Contributor

I received my JCP order and all I can say is Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner (lol). 

Trusted Contributor

Hello Ladies...glad your JCP haul is a winner Bernie....I checked out those boots...if they had been in my size (9) they would be coming home to me as I type!  I also like the olive green color and had gotten a pair of IM 24:7 pants in that color a few days ago.  Funny how I like the hot summer weather but I love to wear the sweaters,boots,tights etc of fall....guess I'd look,sorta strange wearing them in the middle of August withn90 degree temps.

It always took me a few days to get back in my time zone Barbara after we came back from Hawaii I seemed to drag around for days.  Schools open next week too here....the summer just flew it seems to me.

One of my kids showed up last night , unexpectly,so I was out this morning food shopping ...just going to have tacos and fajitas tonight.

Not much else .The humidity will be coming  back in and they say 91 degrees by Monday,I know where I will be parked!

Have a nice day.....Marijane

Honored Contributor

Marijane, I ordered them in a size 9.  I usually wear an 8 1/2.  Wow, the inventory must have been limited!

Respected Contributor

Hi girls!

Oh, how I dislike this new board!  As soon as I start typing the cursor jumps to the  message tags box and the words go in there; I couldn't care less about that.  Cat Mad

Fall is definitely in the air; I think it's partly a change in the light that makes it feel that way.  It's pretty warm, and supposed to go back to being hot next week, but it's just...different.

My own theory on time seeming to go faster is when you're a kid, six months is maybe 10-20% of your life so it seems longer; when  you get older, it's a much smaller percentage of how long you've been alive.  But that said, lately I've heard people of all ages say that time is speeding up lately.

No special plans for the weekend, apart from completing my homework assignments; both  classes look like they're going to be easy ones. I guess I'll putz around the house a bit, I don't have plans to go anywhere, and even if I did, tight finances would have taken care of that. Cat Sad Maybe tomorrow I'll get some weeds cut back, and I have a couple more packages for the troops that I have to get ready to mail; I'll have to go to Jasper on Monday.

I had three cupcakes that didn't fit in the boxes I packed, and had one last night. The frosting was made of cream cheese, butter, confectioners sugar, and freeze-dried strawberries; I'm not a frosting fan, preferring just a tiny bit, but have to admit, that frosting was very, very good!  Cat Happy

I did go to Publix last evening, and ended up getting more than I had originally planned. They had things I needed and planned to get anyway on sale, and also had their monthly promotion of a $50 gas card for $40 with a purchase of $50 or more. Fortunately I picked up a coupon book for pet supplies at the customer service desk when I returned the cookie crumbs, and saw they had cases of cat food at BOGO. Their price is usually higher than Amazon's ($15 vs. $10), but with this deal a case was only $7.50.  The coupons are good through mid-September, so I'm going to have to stock up.  I see gas is down to $1.95 in some places, so the card should last me for the month.

Afterwards I treated myself to pizza, which was good, and I brought half home for today's lunch.  The owner is out of the hospital and has started therapy; the staff said he's been coming in for an hour or so each day, so next time I go I'll bring him some cupcakes.

Jean, I think a lot of people don't realize how exhauting mental work can be; it can really leaved you drained.  I know you love doing it; maybe just a day or two each week would be better for you?

The way they do road work makes absolutely no sense at.  I bought my house in 2007 and was able to do so because the DOT purchased the house I was renting; they said they were going to tear down dozens of houses along that road so it could be widened, and told me that if I wanted to buy a home of my own they'd take care of the down payment.  Anyway, they started to work on the road...about three months ago!  Cat Surprised

I have both a garage and a carport, but just use the carport.  It's about 100 feet back from the street, and Honeybun and Angelica are there to stand guard; the garage is a small one with double doors that open out; it's too much of a hassle to use it.

I guess I'll reheat my pizza for lunch then get my homework done and out of the way.

Hi to everyone - have a blessed day!

Respected Contributor

PS - Cute boots, Bird.  If I had need of them (and the funds) I'd be tempted to get them myself, but I already have several pair of boots I've never worn.  I also have a really cute pair of shoes in olive that I got from QVC about 8-9 years ago; I don't wear them all that often, but they're comfortable and I like them. Hope you enjoy your new purchase.

Trusted Contributor

Bernie ,I'll go back and check...maybe I saw it wrong.

Trusted Contributor

just checked again....maybe I have the wrong ones...it is Lucky Brand ?

Honored Contributor

You were right, shoebuy sold out the size 9 olive.

Macy's has them for $129.

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/lucky-brand-womens-basel-booties?ID=2388211&CategoryID=25122&tdp=...

If you want to look around for deals - It's Lucky Brand Basel Zip Booties