Frequent Contributor

Ryka - for crying out loud...figure out how to size a shoe!

A few years ago whenever I ordered Ryka's they were always too small whenever I ordered my regular size. Recent reviews and on-air presentations seemed to suggest they may have worked that out. So even with a bit of hesitation, I just ordered the lace up boots and the stretch skimmers. I went up a size on the boots and I am swimming in them. I ordered my size in the skimmer and my heels are coming up out of them.

How hard can it be to do some research and figure out how to standardize the sizes? They boast about fitting a woman's foot and I honestly dont think I have EVER gotten a pair that fit. These are going back..wish I hadn't bothered...

Respected Contributor

Re: Ryka - for crying out loud...figure out how to size a shoe!

[ Edited ]

This is my problem with QVC and Ryka and shoes in general. And yes, indeed, I agree with you. Rykas always ran a half size small but do they do that NOW??????

They change where they make them, but brand them the same. So how do you know?

And then the insolence of making half sizes for smaller sizes and then skipping sizes after size 9. This has been an issue my entire life. I have big feet because I'm six feet tall. But shoe makers save money by not filling out the line with half sizes for larger women. When I was growing up, I was a 9.5 and NEVER could find them. So I wore 10, but the heels would go up in width and my feet would fall out of the shoes. Now, being older and fatter, I'm a 10.5  (your feet spread as you get older or heavier.) But actually I'm a 10.5 in most shoes but oh, forget finding THOSE. Almost never carried. They will make 9.5 now most of the time but not 10.5. If I buy 11, I swim in them. 10's sometimes hit me on the toe, and it's not good to wear a cramped toe box. 

I'm looking for water resistant outdoor shoes for walking, and I like Rykas but I'm totally unable to figure out sizes because of their stupidity. I suppose I shouldn't even buy them but I like the TSV boots. Oh, and I stopped buying Clarks entirely--because they are uncharacteristically wide and they have a cheaper footbed now that breaks down. 

Honored Contributor

@Campion wrote:

This is my problem with QVC and Ryka and shoes in general. And yes, indeed, I agree with you. Rykas always ran a half size small but do they do that NOW??????

They change where they make them, but brand them the same. So how do you know?

And then the insolence of making half sizes for smaller sizes and then skipping sizes after size 9. This has been an issue my entire life. I have big feet because I'm six feet tall. But shoe makers save money by not filling out the line with half sizes for larger women. When I was growing up, I was a 9.5 and NEVER could find them. So I wore 10, but the heels would go up in width and my feet would fall out of the shoes. Now, being older and fatter, I'm a 10.5  (your feet spread as you get older or heavier.) But actually I'm a 10.5 in most shoes but oh, forget finding THOSE. Almost never carried. They will make 9.5 now most of the time but not 10.5. If I buy 11, I swim in them. 10's sometimes hit me on the toe, and it's not good to wear a cramped toe box. 

I'm looking for water resistant outdoor shoes for walking, and I like Rykas but I'm totally unable to figure out sizes because of their stupidity. I suppose I shouldn't even buy them but I like the TSV boots. Oh, and I stopped buying Clarks entirely--because they are uncharacteristically wide and they have a cheaper footbed now that breaks down. 

I think the TSV is really cute.  That being said, I thought Ryka ran small.  Now, I'd not even know which size to buy.   I usually wear an 8.5 in Ryka, but who knows if they've changed their sizing.  I don't want to fuss with a return.

For others who have preordered these shoes, how did they run? TIA

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

Unless there is free shipping and returns I will never order a pair of Rykas online again! ....... So, I guess I will not be ordering Rykas from the Q anytime soon.

Respected Contributor

Does Q own all or part of Ryka Shoes?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Caleres, Inc. is a $2.3 billion footwear company with worldwide operations. The company operates the 1,100-store Famous Footwear chain. It also operates 100 specialty retail stores in the United States, Canada and China under the Naturalizer name. Brown Shoe's wholesale divisions own and market leading footwear brands including Naturalizer, LifeStride, Via Spiga, Sam Edelman, Connie and Franco Sarto. The company also owns licensed brands including Dr. Scholl's, Carlos by Carlos Santana, Fergie Footwear and Vince branded footwear.

As of February 2011, American Sporting Goods Corporation operates as a subsidiary of Caleres. Its brands include Avia, Ryka and Nevados.[6][7]

@granddi, this info came from Wiki. Caleres (new name) was the former Brown Shoes. I don't think Q is an owner or parent.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

I have given up trying to even buy Ryka on the Q.

IMO; they run small except when they offer a TSV, at which time the Q tells them to make them larger.  However, I'm not willing to risk $11.95 to test that theory.

Esteemed Contributor

I no longer buy shoes at the Q, although I love shoes. In Clarks alone, I take a 7, 7-1/2, or an 8. I have several pair of Ryka's, but it would just be a guess at the size. Sorry, I'm not interested in paying $12. to try on a pair of shoes.

Esteemed Contributor

I have to try shoes and sneakers on.  I've got Ryka sneakers but I have tried the same size in another Ryka style and it didn't fit well so you never know.  Just another product I won't buy here.

Honored Contributor

There is a shoe store near me that sellls Ryka and so I can try them on and yet, I consistantly wear the same size every time, without fail.