Regular Contributor

Re: Replacement for Joan Rivers on FP

Why would someone go to the effort of opening up this post and replying in such an ugly fashion if they did not understand Joan's sense of humor?
Honored Contributor

Boy..... I'd love to have had lunch with both of them.... I'd just sit there and watch rapier wit fly back and forth across the table like lightning....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Super Contributor

OMG - I cannot stand Kathy Griffin and she would take this shown down like a wrestler! I would never watch her.

There is no replacing Joan - not with anyone! She was a class act in so many ways that so many others are not.

Honored Contributor

She's got the off the wall punch that Joan had, but I don't like her delivery. She has a hard edge in her. Joan soften the hardness with her fast delivery. But they probably will give it to Kathy. There really isn't anyone (with a comic background) that can do it. They need someone with an aggressive delivery along with comedic background. I had thought of Wendy Williams. But her show is a hit. I wonder if they approached her?

Trusted Contributor

I remember reading she has been lobbying HARD to get that spot. Guess it worked.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Trusted Contributor

I haven't liked Kathy G's persona since I saw her on Seinfeld and on Law & Order SVU. Of course, she's a comic, definitely not an actress. I won't be watching FP any more because of Kathy G, and I don't like to watch Kelly O either. Oh well.
Esteemed Contributor

On 9/24/2014 Danky said: Kathy Griffin seems like a great choice to me.........I think Melissa would have been a terrible choice.......she does not relate to the camera or have the likeability factor that her Mother had..........JR was hysterically crude, rude, quick and unfiltered and I think Kathy fits that bill......NYC SUSAN....were you at the funeral ?

Yes, I was.

Melissa wasn't interested at all in taking over. She's happier behind the scenes and she fully realizes that they need someone who's much more outspoken and funny than she is. She would never have any illusions about stepping into her mother's shoes. And "unfiltered" is a great word, Danky. That was Joan's performance persona right from the start of her career.

I like Kathy sometimes more than others, but overall I do like her and I'm willing to give her a chance. I believe FP is coming back in January, so those of us who are interested can see how we feel then.

Kiss

Trusted Contributor

This is probably not true! I just read an article from TV Guide, that said while Kathy Griffin is among those in contention, but no definite decision has been made. E! feels that not enough time has passed, and to make such an announcement would be disrespectful. Taping isn't expected to begin until after the first of the year, so this makes sense, there is no rush. As I said earlier, it would make more sense that E! or Melissa Rivers make the announcement, not Access Hollywood.
Respected Contributor

I'm not a Kathy Griffin fan.

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/24/2014 morganjen said:

I remember reading she has been lobbying HARD to get that spot. Guess it worked.

That's not the way it works in television. No one gets a job because they lobby for it. Only someone who is likely to be an asset to the show and bring in ratings gets it. Television (the business I'm in) is ALL about ratings. Not about how annoyingly someone wants a particular role or job.

And when exactly was Kathy lobbying for it? While Joan was alive? While she was dying in the hospital? In the short time since she passed away?

Don't believe everything you read.